Cespenar

Different Windows? Why?

:cheers: Hi all,

My son wants another tower with Win7.

I have been reading the polls about moving from XP to 7.

Many posts say Vista is not good. Waco disagrees. My situation is this: If I can still play future games on XP, what's the point?

Some games are DX11 only. So far those don't interest me.

From what I can see DX9 is still good enough for games.

I would like to be able to utilize the full 4 gig of ram so 64 bit is necessary. Is this correct with Vista and 7 as well as XP?

What can Vista or 7 offer that XP can't, other than DX11?

I have wondered about a column layout of the differences in the three OS's as in an X or a tick that shows a prospective buyer the differences. Do any of you folk have or seen such a thing?

Or if not, can a brainy person make one for us less-grey-matter endowed people? Please?

I realize that my questions may start another OS argument, so please don't start that. Nearly every forum has more than one OS argument. Opinions don't help. Facts do.

XP can't play DX11 or DX10.

Vista really is awful. I used it for a year and a half or so, and it really is garbage compared to windows 7.

Some games only run on DX10 or later hardware. For instance, Just Cause 2. It's a great game, if you haven't played it. Very entertaining.

Besides that there are going to be little differences between xp and 7. 7 has better security, better visuals, etc.

• Like 1

The windows 7 taskbar is kind of nice I think. It's basically the combination of the quicklaunch icons and the window managing of the windows xp bar. It's great if you don't like having icons on your desktop, I'm very picky about such things. The taskbar has many more features but that's the basics of it, if you've ever used a mac, think of that, 7's taskbar is pretty similar to the dockbar on a mac.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. Now for the RAM amounts. If I need more than 3.5 gig RAM do I have to have 64 bit versions of 7 as well?

It's recommended that you have more than 4 gb if you plan to install a 64 bit operating system.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. Now for the RAM amounts. If I need more than 3.5 gig RAM do I have to have 64 bit versions of 7 as well?

Depends really.... If what you have is working fine then there is no need to upgrade. Mainly people upgrade every one or two years to stay semi current. The OS is built at the time for current applications and games that support it. As time goes on the OS support have additional support for newer games and applications...Hence a newer OS.

If XP works for you and the games you play work fine then by all means stick with it until you really need to upgrade. There is no reason to throw money at upgrades unless they are really needed....Most of us upgrade because we want to not because we have to...

Windows 7 just works better. You have the additional support you need for the newer applications and games and a much more feature rich GUI and a pretty streamlined OS. Now it is bigger and comes in alot more versions than XP did and has 64-bit support.

If I were going to make the switch I'd do it with a whole new current rig....but thats just me. Current or semi-current CPU, Board and 8gb or ram....do you need it? Nope but things are very cheap right now

You can get Windows 7 Pro and get XP Mode? The reason I hate XP is the Installation... its so scary compared to 7's one... also the 3.5GB includes VRAM right? So if you have a graphics card you are already limiting your RAM?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

You can get Windows 7 Pro and get XP Mode? The reason I hate XP is the Installation... its so scary compared to 7's one... also the 3.5GB includes VRAM right? So if you have a graphics card you are already limiting your RAM?

No, the 3 or 3.5 limit does not include VRAM.

No, the 3 or 3.5 limit does not include VRAM.

Well it does if that guy has an IGPU.

32bit OS will only use about 3.5GB(not sure on this number, just going off others for the sake of example) of RAM, but if you have an IGPU as well, that most likely will take even more RAM away so say the IGPU uses 256MB of RAM, your usable amount drops to 3.25GB of RAM. That's just an example though, I've seen IGPUs use up to 512MB and there might be higher amounts even, I haven't seen or heard of it though.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 itself is going to require more resources than XP would, so let's say right now you have 4GB of RAM and on a daily basis you find yourself using 2.5GB of that, Windows 7 would still be able to work with that but it really works better if it has access to a lot RAM and isn't competing for RAM with other programs. I don't mean to make it sound detrimental to have too little RAM though, it won't really hurt even if you only have 2GB of RAM, I used windows 7 at one time with only 2GB of RAM and it works just fine, but I just noticed over time as I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB to 8GB that the OS feels a little better, has a little more pep.

It's going to offer stability and future use.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/end-support

Microsoft is phasing out its support for XP and early editions of Vista in preparation for Windows 8, whenever that comes out. Also, you are very quickly going to see games that no longer support XP. It's a decade old OS, with even the early versions of its successor being phased out.

Also this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Now, I'm not sure this would effect Windows systems, and you still have 27 years to transition, but if you are going to do it eventually, why not now? :evilgrin:

Again, I'm not sure that this matters to windows systems as much as say the Mac OS, but I know my engineering professor at college was really adamant that everyone have access to a 64 bit OS by the end of the semester.

I guess the only argument I can muster for Windows 7 over XP is drivers - chances are good that not much effort is placed in making drivers for XP for brand new hardware.

I'm one of the few who never bought into the "Vista is horrible" crap most people spout. Yes, it took some work to clean up and make as efficient as possible, but so did XP, and so does 7. Vista was every bit as fast as 7 was if you put a little effort into creating a custom install. That said, 7 is prettier.

Realistically, if you don't care about visuals, DX10/11 don't interest you right now, and you can find drivers for your new hardware, I see no reason to blow money on 7.

Either way, I would go with a 64-bit OS. I was a fan of XP-64 and saw no reason to buy a 32-bit 7 at my last computer build.

Edited by technodanvan

Well it does if that guy has an IGPU.

32bit OS will only use about 3.5GB(not sure on this number, just going off others for the sake of example) of RAM, but if you have an IGPU as well, that most likely will take even more RAM away so say the IGPU uses 256MB of RAM, your usable amount drops to 3.25GB of RAM. That's just an example though, I've seen IGPUs use up to 512MB and there might be higher amounts even, I haven't seen or heard of it though.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 itself is going to require more resources than XP would, so let's say right now you have 4GB of RAM and on a daily basis you find yourself using 2.5GB of that, Windows 7 would still be able to work with that but it really works better if it has access to a lot RAM and isn't competing for RAM with other programs. I don't mean to make it sound detrimental to have too little RAM though, it won't really hurt even if you only have 2GB of RAM, I used windows 7 at one time with only 2GB of RAM and it works just fine, but I just noticed over time as I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB to 8GB that the OS feels a little better, has a little more pep.

Yeah I use an IGP so maybe thats why, but if you use older programs get W7 Pro for Windows XP mode!