Sign in to follow this  
LobbDogg

Modding The Northbridge Hs On P4p800 Deluxe

I was having trouble getting the most out of my system. I thought it was the northbridge cuase it was getting hot, but I didn't have any extra cash to buy a HSF for it. So what I did was took it off the mobo, and Removed the thermal tape gunk, and there was also a shim on it, so I took that off, and then I decided to lap it. The HS is painted black, so what I did was took it down ot the bare metal, reapplied some AS5 and reinstalled it. I decided to see if it would make a difference. I was able to go from a 240 FSB up to 260 FSB with a 1:1 ratio with PC4000 memory. I about fell out of my chair when I saw those results. So if any of you who have a p4p800 deluxe, maybe try this little mod and see if you can push more out of your system. I knew that my system had more in it. It was heat all along, but not on the CPU.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if this is the problem thats stopping my friend from hitting 275FSB 1:1 on his 2.4c with a p4c800.....

Thanks for the info... I might have to try that...

I was having trouble getting the most out of my system. I thought it was the northbridge cuase it was getting hot, but I didn't have any extra cash to buy a HSF for it. So what I did was took it off the mobo, and Removed the thermal tape gunk, and there was also a shim on it, so I took that off, and then I decided to lap it. The HS is painted black, so what I did was took it down ot the bare metal, reapplied some AS5 and reinstalled it. I decided to see if it would make a difference. I was able to go from a 240 FSB up to 260 FSB with a 1:1 ratio with PC4000 memory. I about fell out of my chair when I saw those results. So if any of you who have a p4p800 deluxe, maybe try this little mod and see if you can push more out of your system. I knew that my system had more in it. It was heat all along, but not on the CPU.

I know before I was water cooling my northbride I done amost the same thing I did not take it off but I felt it was getting hot (P4C800 Deluxe rev.2) and it was the black aluminum heatsink with no fan so I bought a small stick on fan and put on it and then the heatsink was never hot after that, I did not leve that system together long enough to tell you if it helped or not I moved on to bigger ;) CPU and went to water cooling everything

I might give a try with my NB heatsink :), but it is so much trouble to remove everything <_<... An increase of 20 mHz you said :blink:

Edited by tarkins

I had the same results with my stock IC7-Max3 northbridge cooler. After a good lapping and some AS5, I am gettting some awesome results. I can actually -feel- the temp difference in the hsk.

I had the same results with my stock IC7-Max3 northbridge cooler. After a good lapping and some AS5, I am gettting some awesome results. I can actually -feel- the temp difference in the hsk.

I hear ya on that. It made a remarkable difference.