Sign in to follow this  
Phil

I want to make a clean circle

I've tried numerous programs and techniques to make a circle with a transparent background, and no matter how crisp they look on preview, by the time I've saved or captured them the edges are always ragged. My best attempt so far is attached, I need to rework the background image on this website that I created. Any ideas? My PS skills are weak. :(

post-9889-0-51134300-1311886190_thumb.png

I would totally help you out right now but my SSD died so my computers down.

Are you using the ellipse tool or the circle shape too? I remember theirs a trick to it for making a clean circle.

Once I find my portable version of Photoshop I'll try to find out what I did.

All of the programs I've tried had an ellipse tool but no circle tool.

Do you have anything you can make .svg files with? They are clean edged.

Try Aviary Raven. Its a free online vector image creator. I use it for clean edged shapes and stuff for buttons and such on my sites.

I haven't messed around with Photoshop in so long. I use to play with it everyday. I remember their was a method on making the edge clean.

Have you tried making the circle high res then scaling it down? When u scale it down theres a option that makes the results better when ur scaling down the image.

I don't remember the name but it should be bibuic scaling or something.

Transparency without vectors/flash would be tough to get a clean, non-jagged, antialiased edge from what I know. Does it have to have transparency?

Do you have anything you can make .svg files with? They are clean edged.

Try Aviary Raven. Its a free online vector image creator. I use it for clean edged shapes and stuff for buttons and such on my sites.

I'm not really getting how it works but I'll try again.

Try using the shapes tool to make the circle.

Tried it, same result.

Transparency without vectors/flash would be tough to get a clean, non-jagged, antialiased edge from what I know. Does it have to have transparency?

It does need transparency so that I can layer it over other elements without needing to cut it out with a lasso tool. If I had a way to make a .svg could it be converted to ,png or ,gif?

Actually though, maybe cutting it out would make a cleaner edge? IDK

The problem with Photoshop is that it wants to rasterize the shapes, which gives them the jagged edges. Another Adobe program, Illustrator, will let you create vector images that have all smooth lines.

Well if it is one off and just for the circle that program i showed you will make vector images. For free.

Alternatively you could get the adobe illustrator trial.

6jROn.png

This is what I did

- Add horizontal and vertical guides at 50% position

- Create a circle (shape) from center point (left click, then alt+shift+drag)

- Create a subtractive circle (shape) from center point (alt, left click, shift+drag)

- Delete background layer

- Save For Web, PNG-24

circle_trans.zip

Photoshop shapes are vector paths that are rasterized on screen and when you save, but as they are vector objects, you can resize them without adding pixelisation, as they are re-rasterized (and anti-aliased <- this is the key)