RAM failure question

I was having the worst time trying to get my computer to OC. It would BSOD very quickly then restart on pretty much any setting besides stock. When running prime95, the errors did not occur in the same areas every time and could be 10 seconds or 10 hours on the same setting until an error appeared. Well I finally was able to set up a video camera and watch the BSOD and finally read the error message that popped up and I noticed it referenced memory so I downloaded memtest86 and ran it. As I post this it is still only at 51% but within that time this has happened:

2011-07-26_21-43-57_681.jpg

Is this something that can be fixed or should I attempt to RMA it right away? RAM is GSkill 4X4gb 9-9-9-24 RAM

Thanks

Silas

what I do it try and set the secondary timings looser or set Optimised defaults in the BIOS and see if it still does it...when it errors like that STOP the test immediately...you burnt eh errors into the ram and do more harm than good...try 1 stick at a time and different slots to see if you can get it to play nice...if not then RMA it

if you are running STOCK TIMINGS and getting this error during testing go ahead and RMA the memory

when I say stock, I mean everything has to be stock, CPU as well.

if you get this error only when you overclock, you need to read more about overclocking

when you change the frequency you are increasing memory speed as well, that is why you need to manually lower it in the bios

if you are running STOCK TIMINGS and getting this error during testing go ahead and RMA the memory

when I say stock, I mean everything has to be stock, CPU as well.

if you get this error only when you overclock, you need to read more about overclocking

when you change the frequency you are increasing memory speed as well, that is why you need to manually lower it in the bios

The memory speed was actually slightly under the standard clock (which is 1600) in order to compensate for the higher FSB speed.

Silas,

Your tRFC0 and tRFC1 timings seem way too loose for 16GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM. Tighten that up to around 94 or 113 or 130.

Also, change tRRD from Auto (5) to 8

Also probably need to add about .02 - .04v to your stock dram voltage.

Reboot and retest. If the memory is ok then you should pass.

Otherwise, the next wise move would be to remove all 16Gb and start testing on stick at a time.

Silas,

Your tRFC0 and tRFC1 timings seem way too loose for 16GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM. Tighten that up to around 94 or 113.

Also, change tRRD from Auto (5) to 8

Also probably need to add about .02 - .04v to your stock dram voltage.

Reboot and retest. If the memory is ok then you should pass.

Otherwise, the next wise move would be to remove all 16Gb and start testing on stick at a time.

My RAM is 1600 Mhz, would that matter for the numbers you gave me?

Nope.

But a complete list of your hardware specs would be nice. The other thing I see is that it appears you are already overclocking, and if that's the case then you need to clear your CMOS and then reset your BIOS back to factory defaults. Then re-run memtest. You can't make any judgements on whether the RAM is good or bad if you're not running everything else at stock.

Repeated failures at multiple memory addresses on test five leads me to believe that this is more an issue with the cpu onboard memory controller, than with the memory itself.

Disregard any previous recommendations I've made regarding changing your memory timings until EVERYTHING is back at stock and you are running BIOS defaults.