Just out of curiosity

Hi all new here and to OCing i recently purchased Intel i7 2600k and Asus P8Z68 V pro from the uk oc shop to go along with 16bg (4x4gb) Corsair DDR3 vengeance ram and a Coolit Domino A L C cooler , im just wondering wat kind of CPU speed i could achieve that wouldnt over work or strain the cpu ? i dont play games on it apart from online poker ect

i await ur surgestions thanks

Mickmc

Hi all new here and to OCing i recently purchased Intel i7 2600k and Asus P8Z68 V pro from the uk oc shop to go along with 16bg (4x4gb) Corsair DDR3 vengeance ram and a Coolit Domino A L C cooler , im just wondering wat kind of CPU speed i could achieve that wouldnt over work or strain the cpu ? i dont play games on it apart from online poker ect

i await ur surgestions thanks

Mickmc

What speed the cpu runs at won't make any real difference, it's more the voltage and temperatures that determine how long it will last. I reckon 4.5ghz is a good target.

Also what power supply are you running? and nice setup btw :thumbsup:

Edited by Owenisbad

Welcome to OCC Mick!

4.5 ghz is a good target just like Owenisbad stated, but you want to make sure to monitor your temperatures constantly. Your system should be able to go higher than this but for what you are using it there is no need to overwork the CPU. Try bumping it up slowly and then put stress on it with Prime95 after each adjustment to see how hot it gets (use CoreTemp to check temps). I would not let it rise above 70-75C in Prime95.

Good luck, and happy overclocking!

What speed the cpu runs at won't make any real difference, it's more the voltage and temperatures that determine how long it will last. I reckon 4.5ghz is a good target.

Also what power supply are you running? and nice setup btw :thumbsup:

Hi m8 thanks for reply im using a 600w coolmaster silent pro at the minute but im waiting on new case and 800w psu comming

Mick

Hi m8 thanks for reply im using a 600w coolmaster silent pro at the minute but im waiting on new case and 800w psu comming

Mick

Nice, got the 700w version of that psu and it's been great for me. What new case and psu are you getting, just out of interest?

Oh yeah and what shurman should give you a good idea of how to make sure the overclock is ok, though a lot of people have been saying that linpack is a better stress test for 1155 cpus than prime 95.

Edited by Owenisbad

the 2600K oc's nicely I got mine to 5.0 before my temps got to high since its summer time and outside temp is over 100F and no ac in my house right now and prime95 and occt linpack both shot my temps up to high but it was stable enuff to bench with a lil voltage bump

Happy Ocing :D

Nice, got the 700w version of that psu and it's been great for me. What new case and psu are you getting, just out of interest?

Oh yeah and what shurman should give you a good idea of how to make sure the overclock is ok, though a lot of people have been saying that linpack is a better stress test for 1155 cpus than prime 95.

Hi m8 ive ordered this 1 from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270752680384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Mick

Really sorry to have to tell you this but that psu is almost definitely going to be worse than the coolermaster you already have, £59 for a case and an 800w power supply is way too cheap. To be honest I would see if you could try and send the bundle back as I doubt the case will be any good for that price either. The coolermaster should run your system fine even overclocked imo, but if you want to upgrade here is a list of good quality psus. Also have a look here for a list of good cases.

Here is a good article explaining why not to cheap out on the power supply.

Sorry I couldn't stop you ordering this sooner :-/

Owen