TropicalPreist

1366 MSI BIG BANG BOARD ISSUE

I have a big bang board im trying to setup but im having an issue with the ssd. Every other drive i can see is being recognized as a sata drive. But for some reason my ssd only shows it as IDE. I don't want to create the win7 OS on the drive until i know it's using the right sata controller. It's also in the sata 6gb/s port.

-Trop

I have a big bang board im trying to setup but im having an issue with the ssd. Every other drive i can see is being recognized as a sata drive. But for some reason my ssd only shows it as IDE. I don't want to create the win7 OS on the drive until i know it's using the right sata controller. It's also in the sata 6gb/s port.

-Trop

Well i did some research and my vertex 2 is only compatible with sata 2 apparently. But it still doesn't explain why it only comes up as IDE in the sata 6 slot. Hmmm

you prolly need and updated bios from MSI which includes the newest Intel ACHI Rom on it. Most x58 boards don't run the newest ACHI Roms because they were made before SSD's became more mainstream, if MSI has an update it should solve your issues. Also I'm guessing on the intel part if yours has the sata3 ports it might be a marvel controler which had issues so check up on updates for them reguardless, both at msi and at the controllers websites. if the manufacturer makes an updatee rom for the controller but your board manufacturer don't implament it into the bios you might be out of luck. Does it work if you plug it into the sata2 ichor10 ports? You might be better off going that route if so.

you prolly need and updated bios from MSI which includes the newest Intel ACHI Rom on it. Most x58 boards don't run the newest ACHI Roms because they were made before SSD's became more mainstream, if MSI has an update it should solve your issues. Also I'm guessing on the intel part if yours has the sata3 ports it might be a marvel controler which had issues so check up on updates for them reguardless, both at msi and at the controllers websites. if the manufacturer makes an updatee rom for the controller but your board manufacturer don't implament it into the bios you might be out of luck. Does it work if you plug it into the sata2 ichor10 ports? You might be better off going that route if so.

Im using an MSI BIG BANG THEORY board. Should it has the newest controller set?

-Trop

Acording to their web site

On-Board SATA

• SATA controller integrated in Intel ICH10R/Marvell® 88SE9128/JMicron® JMB362 chipset

- Supports six SATAII ports (SATA1~SATA6) by ICH10R

- Supports two SATAIII ports (SATA7~SATA8) by Marvell® 88SE9128.

- Supports one eSATA & one eSATA / USB 2.0 combo port by JMicron JMB362.

- Supports AHCI controller with AHCI / SATA RAID 0/1/5/10 by ICH10R.

- SATA7 & SATA8 support RAID 0/1 mode by Marvell® 88SE9128

and the newest bios is

- Update CPU Micro Code.

- Update LAN option ROM.

- Update USB3.0 module.

Version 1.6

AMI BIOS Release Date 2011-03-29

so you would have to check on marvell's site and see if they have anything newer, but the fact their latest bios has a LAN Rom update in it is a good sign that they would update the ACHI roms if they were out of date. Just try to install windows on it, your going to have to use f6 floppy anyway and that will load the drivers and change it to achi on the ssd likely, it's not like you can't secure erase the drive in a few seconds any way.

Acording to their web site

On-Board SATA

• SATA controller integrated in Intel ICH10R/Marvell® 88SE9128/JMicron® JMB362 chipset

- Supports six SATAII ports (SATA1~SATA6) by ICH10R

- Supports two SATAIII ports (SATA7~SATA8) by Marvell® 88SE9128.

- Supports one eSATA & one eSATA / USB 2.0 combo port by JMicron JMB362.

- Supports AHCI controller with AHCI / SATA RAID 0/1/5/10 by ICH10R.

- SATA7 & SATA8 support RAID 0/1 mode by Marvell® 88SE9128

and the newest bios is

- Update CPU Micro Code.

- Update LAN option ROM.

- Update USB3.0 module.

Version 1.6

AMI BIOS Release Date 2011-03-29

so you would have to check on marvell's site and see if they have anything newer, but the fact their latest bios has a LAN Rom update in it is a good sign that they would update the ACHI roms if they were out of date. Just try to install windows on it, your going to have to use f6 floppy anyway and that will load the drivers and change it to achi on the ssd likely, it's not like you can't secure erase the drive in a few seconds any way.

ill check the bios now see what version i have.

Don't bother putting the SSD on the Marvell ports...they are slower than the ICH10R ports.