ATI Radeon HD6950 Crossfire (unlocked) Power Requirment

KuraiTokko

Hello...

My PC Specs are the following

CPU : Core i7-950 3.06GHz (not overclocked)

RAM : 3 x 4GB Corsair Vengence

MoBo : Gigabyte G1.Guerilla

HDD : Seagate Baraccuda 1TB

GPU : Radeon HD 4350

PSU : Corsair TX850W

Chassis : Antec 1200

I'm planning to buy 2 x Radeon HD 6950 and unlock both the cards to HD 6970.The question is how much power is required to run Radeon HD 6950 Crossfire (unlocked to HD 6970).I need to know if i will be able to run it with my Corsair TX850W

I've check the AMD website and i found that 6950 need 500W PSU and 6970 need 550W PSU.I wanna know how much power should i need for Crossfire.Please help!!!

Thank You in advance :)

Welcome to OCC!!

A 850TX should handle them fine, just MAKE SURE they are reference design 6950s and 2GB models for it to work...

You should look into overclocking your CPU too!!

What resolution is your monitor by the way??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Welcome to OCC!!

A 850TX should handle them fine, just MAKE SURE they are reference design 6950s and 2GB models for it to work...

Thank you for your reply.....yea i'm planning on overeclocking my cpu..can u give me suggestions on liquid cooled cpu cooler like corsaid H70???

and my monitor is a BenQ EW2430 (24") n the resolution is 1920 x 1080

The cards needs to be produced before May - if it's a sapphire or xfx - since after May they were cut out by lasers and the BIOS-switch was removed.

is it only with sapphire n xfx???

how about other makers like asus?

Welcome to OCC!!

also how to know its a reference design before purchase or breaking the seal on the box?

are sapphire,xfx or asus are reference design?

Where are ya from Kurai??

If you're set on a self contained water cooler you should get the 920 Kuhler, it's the cream of the crop for them.

If you don't expect to be upgrading from 1920x1080 for a while I'd actually recommend SLI'n two 560Ti's or maybe two 570s because they'll have enough Vram but more potential. And no need to mess around hunting and unlocking

Where are ya from Kurai??

If you're set on a self contained water cooler you should get the 920 Kuhler, it's the cream of the crop for them.

If you don't expect to be upgrading from 1920x1080 for a while I'd actually recommend SLI'n two 560Ti's or maybe two 570s because they'll have enough Vram but more potential. And no need to mess around hunting and unlocking

thanks for the cooler suggestion

and for the graphic card i prefer ATI over nVIDIA......

thanks you for the suggestions i appreciate it...

is it only with sapphire n xfx???

how about other makers like asus?

I'm not quite sure about ASUS - since I only emailed with xfx and sapphire about their 6950's but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their production as well - so you are going to have to ask ASUS yourself in order to be completely sure!