Help Overclocking

MyDaDdY

I need help overclocking my computer that I just recently put together. Here are its specifications:

Motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe-E

Processor: AMD Barton 3000+ XP 2.16GHz

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB

Ram: 2 512 Sticks Kingston HyperX DDR PC3500

I would like to OC, because in games like Counter-Strike and Natural Selection this is the FPS I get: http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421444602/0.jpg

But in the Game America's Army I get only around 40's - 70's and the quality is set to Ultra Low. Can someone help me? I have the Stock fan for the Barton. Another fan over a PCI slot (not using the slot just over it) which acts as an exhaust. A stock power fan. and a case fan in center of case. (Neon Blue)

EDIT: Please?

Edited by MyDaDdY

Just keep raising your fsb speed until it isn't stable. Once it isn't stable anymore, you're done since you are using stock cooling. If you get better cooling, you could then raise the vcore to make it stable again and repeat the whole process. That Ram you have has plenty of headroom, especially since you have the 333fsb version of the 3000+. Just pay close attention to your temps, due to the stock heatsink/fan. Try to keep it below 55C load.

ehh it doesnt say fsb in bios. can someone help me in more detail? Im not a complete noob. I know how to get in there. :D

EDIT: I just went into bios and I changed something to 13.5 and my GHz went from 2.16 to 2.25 I tryed 14.0 but it wouldnt let me. I the blue screen of death came up. There are two settings om not sure about. The CPU Externet Freq.

Its at 166 there is 100 133 166 and 200. When I set it to 200 = blue screen. Maybe lower the Multiplier? then set to 200 and then rasie it again slowly? Am I correct someone with a little overclocking knowlegde please help me.

Edited by MyDaDdY

dont take your muliplier above 13.5 youll have problems, keep it at 12.5 or under change your external clock and up your voltage dont change the agp or chipset voltage tho the vcore and ddr are the main ones, keep a eye on your temp dont go above 50 degrees itll get unstable, have you overclocked your graphics card yet

Mydaddy- The cpu external freq. is the same thing as the fsb. Set the "system performance" tab to "user defined" to open up all fsb speeds 100-300 in 1mhz increments, as opposed to just those four options. The other number is the multiplier...as stated above, don't raise that. You'll actually do the opposite...the general concept is to lower the multiplier and raise the fsb. For a starting point, set the fsb to 200 and the multi to 11. That comes out being a nice 3200+ dead on. From there, try raising the fsb slowly.

no gman i have not OC'd my Card. I heard its very hard to OC 9800 PRO so im not gonna try it until later.

1EDIT: Eva unit I set it to 200 and 11.0 and when I right clicked my computer and checked properties it said 2.19 "AMD Athlon XP 3200+" like you said. then i raised multiplier to 11.5 and when it was starting up and then some lady said "System failed due to CPU Overclocking" But it started up anyway. Is there a program where I can check my temps while I am in the comp or do I have to do it in BIOS?

Also can I still raise my multiplier?

2EDIT: Eva I cannot go higher then 11.5 I went 12 and system did not start, there are some settings like 7.5/15.0 something like that nor sure if its exact. Also CPU Vcore setting is at 1.65 and it can go up to 1.85 in increments of .25 what do you suggest?

Edited by MyDaDdY

To monitor the temps on your board, there is a great program called MotherBoardMonitor (check the forums here, it is listed) Someone also came up with a dashboard (you'll know what I mean when you load it) that is SPECIFIC to the A7N8X board, so you don't have to adjust settings within the program.

Here is the link

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

and the board specific file that I mentioned is here

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16364

As for increasing your board's speed, You have done well so far, but you WILL need to increase the vcore to get it totally stable. That CPU failed.....message is probably due to that. If you boost the vcore, it should go away. However, I read in your earlier posts that you are using the stock HSF, so you REALLY, REALLY need to get a better one. I personally use a Thermaltake Volcano 11-. lapped and using Ceramique as for my paste. I have gotten my 2600 to post and run stably at 11x200 with the vcore set to 1.75. I had to change my memory timings to get it there, it's been so long I don't remember what I set. Also, you will probably want to look for the AGP freqeuncy thing and set it to 66Mhz instead of auto. Until ofcourse you overclock your 9800, then you will need someone else's help. Can't help ya there.

Hope this helps.

P.S. to make sure your OC is stable, ppl 'round here sugest running Prime95 for about 24 hours. If it runs without errors, you got that OC down!!! I

Edited by Saggitarius