Bootable cd fjust to copy or move files from hdd?

djdyna

Most live cd's based on linux/unix dont work, they usually hang with my wireless mouse/keyboard or peripherals attached, i want a program like teracopy that cna boot from cd immediately so i can try moving some files from a half baked hdd that constantly crashes and stops responsibly in windows.

Which Linux distros have you tried? When?

This month, linux mint, mandriva, ubuntu, knoppix, tiny linux and a few others, perhaps it's hanging on the hard disk loading, not quite sure, i get sick of waiting, would of thought they'd be a simple file explorer with a disk manager utility as a main bootable cd for hard disks. :/

Sometimes my PC refuses to load the sata hard drive and hangs until i unplug the drive or restart, it usually starts freezing my windows 7 after trying to write to it or copying files from it after about 5gb of data. I have atleast 150gb i need to move from it (only rips from tv series that are hard to find like teenage health freak etc)...It's strange because it passes stupid hdd diagnostics programs too. :(

Edited by djdyna

Most live cd's based on linux/unix dont work, they usually hang with my wireless mouse/keyboard or peripherals attached, i want a program like teracopy that cna boot from cd immediately so i can try moving some files from a half baked hdd that constantly crashes and stops responsibly in windows.

Have you tried hirens boot cd? Its based on windows xp though its larg, around 500mb. Download it from here:www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Extract it, burn the iso file on a cd.

Edited by ansafrahim

Chill the hard drive....like put it in the freezer. then try it.

I have used a few live CDs including PC Linux OS and also I have used MiniPE and I even think The Ultimate Boot CD has utilities for that....but I have found that chilling the hard drive does help so you can get the stuff off it...

Chill the hard drive....like put it in the freezer. then try it.

I have used a few live CDs including PC Linux OS and also I have used MiniPE and I even think The Ultimate Boot CD has utilities for that....but I have found that chilling the hard drive does help so you can get the stuff off it...

Its not been on for days, makes no difference the temperature :/ It doesnt even get passed 45C

Its not been on for days, makes no difference the temperature :/ It doesnt even get passed 45C

45C isn't the same as -5C :)

Analogy: It's not because your CPU isn't overheating on air that it will overclock as far as on LN2. ;)

temp DOES make a difference when trying to get data off a dieing hard drive....