Sign in to follow this  
uneedav8

Real differences between SATA 2 and 3 cables?

I am having some issues with my sata 3 cables connected to my SSD. For one, they are really difficult to bend. Two, the connector fits really loose on the sata connector on the SSD drive. I have tried 4 different sata 3 cables and they are all like that. I can sneeze by the computer tower and the drive is not recognized. I was wondering it it would lose performance with a regular sata cable?

Edited by uneedav8

Is it an Sata 3 drive (though I'd assume you wouldn't ask if it wasn't)

You wouldn't notice any noticeable performance but it would suck for you since you should have just gotten an Sata 2 drive for cheaper

So I read this and wondered if there was a difference, they look mostly the same. I plugged each one into different drives to check fitment. and In all cases the solid black sata 2 cable fit better and stayed in place. Upon close inspection I noticed the little bumbs on the retaining clips were slightly smaller on the white sata3 cables, which allowed for more play and you could actually pul it out of the drives without depressing the retaining clip. Were as the sata2 cables stayed in the drives much better.

maybe there are better cables out there, Might look and see what you can find the black cables here are EVGA cables from and EVGA MB, the SATA3 cable is an ASUS cable.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Any mention of speed on a SATA cable is pure marketing. Nothing has changed with the electrical wiring within the cables and connections between the SATA bus evolution. Since nothing has changed, and the cables are then the same, there is absolutely no difference.