greengiant912

Netflix Pricing Changes.

New Unlimited DVD-Only Plan at $7.99 is the Lowest-Ever Price Offered; Unlimited Streaming Remains $7.99

LOS GATOS, Calif., July 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) announced today it is launching new unlimited DVD-only plans in the U.S. at their lowest price ever– only $7.99 a month for the 1 DVD out at-a-time plan and $11.99 a month for the 2 DVDs out at-a-time plan.

New members can sign up for these plans by going to DVD.netflix.com.

Netflix also announced it is separating its unlimited streaming and unlimited DVD plans in the U.S. to better reflect the costs of each and to give members a choice: a streaming-only plan, a DVD-only plan or the option to subscribe to both.

With this change, Netflix will no longer be offering unlimited plans that include both streaming and DVDs by mail. The unlimited streaming plan will remain at $7.99 a month. The price for getting both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99).

For new Netflix members, the changes will be effective immediately. For existing members, the new pricing will start for charges on or after September 1.

"Netflix members love watching instantly, but we've come to recognize there is still a very large continuing demand for DVDs by mail," said Andy Rendich, Netflix Chief Service and Operations Officer. "By better reflecting the underlying costs and offering our lowest prices ever for unlimited DVD, we hope to provide a great value to our current and future DVD-by-mail members."

Netflix introduced streaming to its popular DVD-by-mail business in 2007. Since then, membership has climbed from 6 million to 23 million in the U.S. as people have embraced the idea of watching instantly an ever-expanding library of movies and TV shows on the hundreds of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming movies and TV shows from Netflix right to members' TVs.

About Netflix:

With nearly 24 million members in the United States and Canada, Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] is the world's leading Internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV shows. For US$7.99 a month, Netflix members in the U.S. and Canada instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed over the Internet to PCs, Macs and TVs. Among the large and expanding base of devices streaming from Netflix are Microsoft's Xbox 360, Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PS3 consoles; an array of Blu-ray disc players, Internet-connected TVs, home theater systems, digital video recorders and Internet video players; Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, as well as Apple TV and Google TV. In all, more than 200 devices that stream from Netflix are available in the U.S. and a growing number are available in Canada.

SOURCE Netflix Inc.

Is it just me or dose this seem a little ridiculous. I have a feeling that Netflix will likely be getting a lot of heat about this. Personally I don't see why a back catalog of old butt movies should be the same price as getting new releases by mail. I wouldn't have an issue with this if the instant streaming option would offer every single movie when it is released, but they don't... I just find it a bit absurd that Netflix would literally double the subscription rates...

In my opinion this is only going to encourage more piracy. Netflix was the one service that was really starting to make headway in a legal offering of movies for a very affordable price, $16 a month isn't that expensive sure but think about it this way that is $16 extra that I could spend going to the theater and seeing a movie on the big screen...

Edited by greengiant912

this is odd to me since the price isnt changing. i;v been paying $16 all along for 2 years now for streaming and 1 dvd out. doesn't matter much since my last dvd has been sitting here for 6 months i should switch to streaming only.

They probably increased the price because they need to pay ISPs to grant access to their service, but it's still reasonable pricing.

• Like 1

We've had streaming only for about 6-7 months now...I don't think we'll ever move to getting the DVDs for that kind of premium.

Is it just me or dose this seem a little ridiculous. I have a feeling that Netflix will likely be getting a lot of heat about this. Personally I don't see why a back catalog of old butt movies should be the same price as getting new releases by mail. I wouldn't have an issue with this if the instant streaming option would offer every single movie when it is released, but they don't... I just find it a bit absurd that Netflix would literally double the subscription rates...

In my opinion this is only going to encourage more piracy. Netflix was the one service that was really starting to make headway in a legal offering of movies for a very affordable price, $16 a month isn't that expensive sure but think about it this way that is $16 extra that I could spend going to the theater and seeing a movie on the big screen...

I agree with you, people that want both won't be all that happy to pay to $16 a month. I'm not going to get real detailed on this part but I just want to say that I think you're right about the piracy, if they keep increasing prices, people just won't bother with them.

this is odd to me since the price isnt changing. i;v been paying $16 all along for 2 years now for streaming and 1 dvd out. doesn't matter much since my last dvd has been sitting here for 6 months i should switch to streaming only.

I'd recommend going streaming only, they changed the plans available to me a while back from being $9 for 1 DVD at a time with unlimited streaming to $10 and then about a month later they offered a streaming only plan for $8. Well they shipped scratched discs to me all the time and I usually had them sitting around most of the time and preferred the streaming anyway, the choice wasn't hard for me, and now with this latest announcement I'm even more glad I made the switch.

I don't know about you guys but if they didn't offer such a good variety of plans, and I was stuck on their $16 plan, I'd drop them. I also have Amazon Prime so I could always use their recently included on demand streaming stuff instead. Only reason I'm sticking with netflix is because I find it's easier/faster to navigate, console and other devices can use it, and netflix customer service has treated me pretty well so far.

I'm curious as to whether this increase in price will help make up for all the lost subscriptions. Seems like this will actually hurt them overall.

Also, what's the deal with the mass unsubscribe on September 1st? I mean why wait so long to do it? The point is to stop giving them money so you would unsubscribe right away, right?

Edit: I'm actually considering dropping netflix myself now, I mean I do have Amazon Prime after all so...

Edited by Deathmineral

Hopefully they'll get more agressive with putting better titles into the streaming department. I don't want to pay more for nothing (well my parents shouldn't....but eventually when I move out I don't want to)

I actually did this once before but guess I didn't think about it too much at the time but for anyone interested, Amazon actually offers a better deal than Netflix. You can get Amazon Prime for $79 a year, which is a little bit of an intimidating price since it's all at once, but if you do the math it comes out to about $6.58 a month. Netflix unlimited streaming plan alone is $8 a month, so Prime would probably be more worthwhile for the video on demand alone but it still has all the other benefits as well, making it a very nice deal overall. Kind of funny that I did this once before but didn't give it any real thought until someone in that link commented on it. :lol:

I've decided that I'm going to cancel my Netflix membership, even though I already know I'm going to miss it, I just don't feel comfortable having it while I'm paying for Prime as well.

Edit: It just occurred to me that my netflix renews every 10th of each month, kind of makes it feel like they waited just long enough to get my money before they made the announcement, clever...

Edited by Deathmineral

Well it had to happen sooner or later.

I get 8 dvds a month so the mailing cost is a least $3 for them

plus I am getting streaming too a paying about $8.99+tax.

I will go the streaming and see if they offer enough new movies to hold my interest, if not, well, bye bye Netflix :evilgrin:

I actually did this once before but guess I didn't think about it too much at the time but for anyone interested, Amazon actually offers a better deal than Netflix. You can get Amazon Prime for $79 a year, which is a little bit of an intimidating price since it's all at once, but if you do the math it comes out to about $6.58 a month. Netflix unlimited streaming plan alone is $8 a month, so Prime would probably be more worthwhile for the video on demand alone but it still has all the other benefits as well, making it a very nice deal overall. Kind of funny that I did this once before but didn't give it any real thought until someone in that link commented on it. :lol:

I've decided that I'm going to cancel my Netflix membership, even though I already know I'm going to miss it, I just don't feel comfortable having it while I'm paying for Prime as well.

Edit: It just occurred to me that my netflix renews every 10th of each month, kind of makes it feel like they waited just long enough to get my money before they made the announcement, clever...

How's the selection on Prime??

Well it had to happen sooner or later.

I get 8 dvds a month so the mailing cost is a least $3 for them

plus I am getting streaming too a paying about $8.99+tax.

I will go the streaming and see if they offer enough new movies to hold my interest, if not, well, bye bye Netflix :evilgrin:

You brought up another important detail just now, the tax. I don't know if it applies to everyone but I know I get taxed by Netflix but I don't get taxed by Amazon for Prime.

Edit:

How's the selection on Prime??

I'm not too sure actually, I know it's good but I don't know how it compares to Netflix. It's certainly a sizable amount that you wouldn't be able to wear out in a long time but I guess that depends on how picky of a person you are, personally I can watch The Room and enjoy it(not really) so I find most of the selection would probably be enjoyable to me.

Edit Edit: I'm not sure how good of an idea this gives about the selection but here's a screenshot of the sidebar that appears when you enter the instant videos section with Prime eligible selected, although the selection might not be limited to this and that's what I'm thinking since the numbers don't really add up, so the selection is probably greater than what's seen in this screenshot.

Edited by Deathmineral