neddamttocs

Free2Play Games, a good idea or a Bad idea?

42 members have voted

1. 1. Free2Play Games, a good idea or a Bad idea?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Other

Well this week we would like to know you thoughts on more games going free2play. Is this a good idea or is it a bad idea?

We want to know yout thoughts on the subject as well.

I don't see why this'd ever be a bad thing, though most seem to always offer benefits or little things you can buy to still make money.

I am kinda mad that Team Fortress 2 went Free to Play because I hate it and thought my purchase wasn't justified as it stood...

I've played sooo many Asian F2P MMORPGS that I couldn't possibly say they were bad.

;)

I assume we're talking about MMO games that previously had a subscription fee, right? If so, I think it depends on whose perspective you're looking at.

For the companies of the game it's usually a good idea, because most games don't go entirely free-to-play, but rather, they move to a microtransaction model. This usually brings more players to the game and might even increase their profits if those people enjoy playing and pay the monthly fee or pay for little things here and there.

It's also a good idea for those people who have wanted to play the game, but never wanted to pay the monthly fee. I've recently begun playing Age of Conan since it went free-to-play, and it's nice to try it out.

I think the people who hate this change the most are those that have been paying the subscription fee all along, and enjoy the game as it is. When LotRO went free-to-play, there was a large uproar from the main fanbase because they felt that it would bring a large number of new and immature players into the game.

I chose other because your options are very black and white, while the question is anything but.

It all depends on the game and how the F2P/microtransaction model is handled.

I said good.

I think it's a great idea because it gives the player a good idea of what the game is like, and if they like it, they can then choose to pay. It's similar to that of a waiter at a restaurant I think, if you get good service, it results in a good tip, bad service can result in a bad tip, but of course we all know that some people just don't tip as well, same thing happens in F2P games, some people won't buy into the microtransactions.

I also see this sort of method introduced into other forms of entertainment or media. For example, the music industry has really popularized the idea I think, there are a lot of artists out there that will make music, release it themselves, let people download MP3s of it for free and if the listener likes it, they can show support by purchasing a CD for whatever price they want. A good example of this, and someone I'm a big fan of is Brad Sucks. Another great example of this is Josh Woodward, another one I really like and discovered only recently. Links there for anyone interested in free music, plus they probably appreciate the advertising. :D

I also agree with Clay though, it is a lot more complicated than just good or bad but personally I think anyone that thinks it's bad is just crying over spilt(apparently spilt isn't a real word but I'm keeping it, I think it sounds better) milk. :lol:

I think it's good, I like free games as long as the Dev's are ok with it.

Plus it gives me something to play in between games.

I agree with IVI about TF2 though. I really really wish it hadn't gone free 2 play lol. I've been spending money on that game for way to long (stupid crates that need keys).

It is not just MMOs, look at Age of Empires Online or Battleforge and others. The concept is actually pretty simple. The basic game is free, meaning you can enjoy the game without spending any money. However lets say there is a different race, class or something you want to play outside the base, this costs, say $5. These microtransactions are how the developer makes money. He creates a new aspect of the game that builds upon the base game and you buy the little parts you want. In essnece the concept is getting the game ala carte.

Interesting timing on this poll. This week we are doing an interview with Chris Taylor (Supreme COmmander, Dungeon Siege, Total Annihilation) and discussing the concept of F2P and what it holds for the future of PC gaming.

I chose other because its good and bad, good because it brings more players and possible revenue for the game companies, but bad for the player base that paid for a game that is now free. I do understand that if you paid for the game you get some perks.

I chose other because your options are very black and white, while the question is anything but.

It all depends on the game and how the F2P/microtransaction model is handled.

This.

When micro-transaction is only there to reduce time grinding or cosmetics (League of Legends), that's a good thing.

However if there is too much grinding without buying micro-transaction games (World of Tanks) or features such as playing with friends locked to micro-transactions (World of Tanks) that's a bad thing.

I chose bad because I play games to escape reality. I feel the subscription price is good enough. I want to just log in and then just play the game with no advertising or missing features that I have to buy. Micro-transactions and pay-DLC for the lose :P

It allows you try games out without paying for them... if you really really like them you pay for them. I find them a nice break as something new to play when I get tired of the games I already have. :thumbsup: