Monitor calibration

So I figured it was a good idea to fiddle with monitor settings since I moved my monitor in a new room and for some reason it's too bright and sometimes blurry (EDIT: might just be my eyes gone weary lol, but might as well calibrate).. At first I tried to use the software which came with the monitor (see sig), but that didn't really help, then I decided to google monitor calibration, and the first hit was

http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html

Then I wondered (since there other calubration guides), which guide is the best to follow?

Cheers

Edited by Brutality

The one where ur eyes tell u they like what they see.. I've never used a guide before as my vision will tell me if it's right or not.

U mentioned blurry??? Only reason a screen should go blurry as such is if the resolution isn't on the native res for the screen... But that's of it's a LCD screen.. Look into it :-)

in all honesty, calibrating with hand, eye coordination is useless

the picture may look a bit better but if you want colors to be accurate you need to buy a colorimeter

they are not too expensive

this is what I have, I may be upgrading to the newest version though later this year

in all honesty, calibrating with hand, eye coordination is useless

the picture may look a bit better but if you want colors to be accurate you need to buy a colorimeter

Most people don't care about color accuracy being exact as long as their color balance, gamma, and white/black levels aren't all screwy.

I use this one for a quick calibration: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

You'll probably have to adjust the black levels on your monitor and bring the contrast/brightness down within your driver control panel. :cheers:

an LCD monitor is not a television

you can mess with the contrast and brightness buttons if you want but there really is no need

any decent monitor comes with presets which you should use, there is no need to adjust these if your monitor has this function

remember, the activity people do most on their computer is read

reading on a screen should be done in less light than watching a video or gaming

also, many video games request the brightness adjusted to it's own standards in game so don't think there is just one 'universal calibration' and you are done

sure, sometimes you have to turn down the brightness manually for some reason but I wouldn't call that 'calibrating a monitor'

if you have a colorimeter and a decent monitor there is absolutely no need to touch anything other than your preset buttons

for instance, my monitor has a preset called internet, when I surf the web I press it and the brightness and contrast is reduced instantly

it also has a gaming preset, which is basically the same as vivid, or saturated

one thing I should point out

if your monitor is displaying proper colors it will look duller than what you are probably used to

but once you see the difference you will understand why it is important and then you will probably appreciate an IPS display more

edit:

I have not tried that one

I am thinking about buying the new colormunki display by xrite but I was not too happy with their software updates for the last few years

it feels like after windows 7 came out they just dropped support and left it up to microsoft to fix the bugs

Edited by potatochobit

an LCD monitor is not a television

you can mess with the contrast and brightness buttons if you want but there really is no need

any decent monitor comes with presets which you should use, there is no need to adjust these if your monitor has this function

I don't even know why I bother...but here goes.

Most monitors have really bad black/white levels. There's a MASSIVELY noticeable difference when you calibrate just those two things. Pray tell - what do you think the difference between an LCD TV and an LCD computer monitor are? :rolleyes: Nothing. The presets all suck universally on TVs and monitors alike.

Edited by Waco