Fogel

Gamer - Defined

I meant why do you care if other people know your opinion.

That 50 year old *is* a gamer. She plays games.

Well why do you care? You're the one that decided to troll this thread by saying it's futile and we should just stop caring. Seriously, why did you even post if you're not going to contribute to the discussion beyond saying it's pointless?

Well why do you care? You're the one that decided to troll this thread by saying it's futile and we should just stop caring. Seriously, why did you even post if you're not going to contribute to the discussion beyond saying it's pointless?

I did contribute to the discussion. I said you're wrong. It's not trolling it's just a contribution you didn't like.

A gamer is a person that plays games. There can only be sub-categories from there.

I did contribute to the discussion. I said you're wrong. It's not trolling it's just a contribution you didn't like.

A gamer is a person that plays games. There can only be sub-categories from there.

You didn't say we were wrong you said this is futile and we should stop caring about these things. That's not saying we're wrong and that's not contributing. Also, how are we wrong if you agree with us? Everyone has already stated and agreed that there are subcategories of gamers, and both ComputerEd and myself have listed and defined what we think those are.

Let's not forget people in the Midwest: Board gamers.

I take offense to that lol!

Wasn't Tiny Wings an indie game... made by one guy? I... love that game.

Er, not really the point, but I respect that game a lot. I do agree with everything else in this article though. I DO think that mobile games qualify as casual gaming, some of them are actually kind of in depth too, nothing compared to big budget games.

I do love Tiny Wings an absurd amount though. =3

I'm kind of curious about something here, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the point of this thread so I'd like to ask, why does anyone feel the need to label, separate, categorize gamers?

I mean that sort of makes sense with cars, computers, woodworking, sewing, programmers, electricians, politicians, or even cooking, these are all things that can apply to a profession or job. However games, whether they be video games, board gamers, or card games, these are all an art form or activity for the purpose of fun or relaxation, sure you can turn them into a profession or job, but they aren't like computers or cars.

You don't really hire someone to play video games for you, but you do hire someone to fix your car or your computer and you probably want the guy that enjoys it as a career and hobby, someone that's really good at it, to work on these things.

I mean the kind of stuff that Jim is saying sounds nice, for science and all that, but realistically it doesn't really matter if you categorize or define this stuff. The only way this even matters is emotionally, the only thing you might improve by going through all of this is your confidence in being a gamer or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against people making themselves feel better about something but I just don't think it should be misunderstood that it doesn't really better the world if 20 or 30 people on a forum come up with a system for defining something like who is and isn't a gamer.

I'm kind of curious about something here, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the point of this thread so I'd like to ask, why does anyone feel the need to label, separate, categorize gamers?

I mean that sort of makes sense with cars, computers, woodworking, sewing, programmers, electricians, politicians, or even cooking, these are all things that can apply to a profession or job. However games, whether they be video games, board gamers, or card games, these are all an art form or activity for the purpose of fun or relaxation, sure you can turn them into a profession or job, but they aren't like computers or cars.

You don't really hire someone to play video games for you, but you do hire someone to fix your car or your computer and you probably want the guy that enjoys it as a career and hobby, someone that's really good at it, to work on these things.

I mean the kind of stuff that Jim is saying sounds nice, for science and all that, but realistically it doesn't really matter if you categorize or define this stuff. The only way this even matters is emotionally, the only thing you might improve by going through all of this is your confidence in being a gamer or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against people making themselves feel better about something but I just don't think it should be misunderstood that it doesn't really better the world if 20 or 30 people on a forum come up with a system for defining something like who is and isn't a gamer.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com

a gamer is someone that can play all games on easy without cheating.

hardcore gamers are poeple that play all(most) plays on hard.

being a gamer has nothing to do with spending time on a game, there are a lot of n00bs that can't even finish crysis on easy without cheating.

a gamer is title of skill

Gamer: An individual that plays games.

I'm with the "who really cares" crowd.

Gamer is more than just someone who plays video games or board games, which it appears most everyone here thinks. A pure gamer has a different way of thinking and seeing the world. They will always find a game in what they are doing which makes a possibly boring task into something engaging, allowing them to get through it faster, happier, and with a better result. It is important enough for a book to be written about it: Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World. It talks about games that clean graveyards, let you be someone's hero, survive plane flights, if you don't like them, and more.

Let's consider an example I know you know about. Remember how by playing games Valve was moving up the release of Portal 2? That was an augmented reality game that made the act of playing the games a game itself, instead of playing within the game. That would have only barely worked if Steam has casual gamers because very few would have bought the Potato Sack to play the games they don't have. Light, medium, and hardcore gamers would all have spent more time playing the games, to get the potatoes and try to see the bars move further, the clock wind down, and the number of potatoes increase. They also would have bought the games they didn't have, to play the ARG more and get a greater sense of accomplishment. Also ,an ARG like that would give a stronger sense of accomplishment than playing the games in the Potato Sack because you can actually see your impact changing the world. The current Summer Camp Sale and tickets are another ARG and while it doesn't change the world it makes just the act of playing games a game, as we try to get the tickets. To get more tickets people will buy the games and by having the games on sale people are more willing to purchase the games.

These and other ARG's are made possible by research into how gamers think and knowing what they will most likely do. Steam would need to know they have enough core-gamers (light, medium, and hardcore) to make money from the tickets, or else they wouldn't have done that. No, you don't hire people to play games for you; they pay you to play games.

While 20-30 people on a forum may not better the world (or will we?) we are bettering ourselves.

i think my definition of a gamer was quite accurate. it's also neutral to any sort of gamer because there are key elements that all gamers have in common despite what games they play or what platform they use. Why do they invest a certain amount of time in playing a game instead of watching a movie or reading a book or doing any other sort of activity? What is it about games that makes them the better choice for us over those other mediums? Games aren't neither books nor movies (even though some try to be), so when we play a game we look for something else that can't be found anywhere else and it's that thing that unites us as 'gamers'. Only after that can you go and categorize the different sorts of gamers. Just like books have something that neither movies nor games can have and movies that have something that games and books can never have.