Fogel

Gamer - Defined

A gamer is someone who plays games for their core element - gameplay and doesn't judge a game by it's polygon count but by how much interaction there is between him and the game. He will value the potential of a game where he is not limited by it's constraints but simply uses whatever is at his disposal to create his own experience all the while being challenged and the height of his improvement is only determined by his own abilities. Also, a gamer will appreciate a game that achieves something great with a limited amount of resources and uses them efficiently in order to deliver an experience that is unique and that may seem beyond it's limits. What a gamer isn't, is someone who necessarily plays a lot or is good at games, nor someone who owns all the platforms and all the games. As long as he remembers what games are truly about and stands true to these values, he is a gamer.

Games that inspire me:

Half-Life

Counter-Strike

Fallout 1

System Shock 2

Star Craft

Amnesia The Dark Descent

The Witcher 2

Portal

Diablo 2

Quake 3 Arena

Worms Armageddon

Thief 2

Edited by sack_patrol

A gamer is someone who plays games for their core element - gameplay and doesn't judge a game by it's polygon count but by how much interaction there is between him and the game. He will value the potential of a game where he is not limited by it's constraints but simply uses whatever is at his disposal to create his own experience all the while being challenged and the height of his improvement is only determined by his own abilities. Also, a gamer will appreciate a game that achieves something great with a limited amount of resources and uses them efficiently in order to deliver an experience that is unique and that may seem beyond it's limits. What a gamer isn't, is someone who necessarily plays a lot or is good at games, nor someone who owns all the platforms and all the games. As long as he remembers what games are truly about and stands true to these values, he is a gamer.

Games that inspire me:

Half-Life

Counter-Strike

Fallout 1

System Shock 2

Star Craft

Amnesia The Dark Descent

The Witcher 2

Portal

Diablo 2

Quake 3 Arena

Worms Armageddon

Thief 2

Just want to summarize this for everyone.

"I, sack packer, am the only true gamer and everyone else isn't as good as me!"

Seriously get over yourself, I don't know any game developers personally but I've never heard one say anything like that. I'm pretty sure they just want their games to be fun to play and make a lot of money from people that enjoy the games.

What's wrong with Angry Birds anyway? I mean I've never played it myself but it looks pretty good. I love to play all sorts of games, and no matter how many games I ever play, Kitten Cannon will probably always be a favorite of mine, doesn't get anymore simple than Kitten Cannon either. Kitten Cannon is the kind of game that if someone like Sack_Patrol played it, his head would explode because his robot brain can't handle the idea that there is a game you can't get better at or offers no challenge.

I agree. I too think of gamers as people who play games as if it was the only thing in the world worth doing.

And I also agree that smartphone games doesn't quite qualify as 'real hardcore-game' but I still think it's a great way to spend time if i'm bored :P

... Personally i have owned and played 32 games on the list

I don't think you people should be twisting the word gamer.

there has always been a distinction between a 'hardcore gamer' and just an average gamer.

lately, the casual gamer has been making a significant impact, but that is how it is with progress.

most gamers have other hobbies. Saying gamers only play games is silly. Such as almost every single one of you on this board consider yourselves computer 'enthusiasts'

and don't say you only have a computer for gaming, you all watch movies and listen to music on your computer and even use it for work

btw, most gamers also are interested in b-ball. they run hoops. You know, sports games are one of the most lucrative franchises in video game sales.

Such as almost every single one of you on this board consider yourselves computer 'enthusiasts'

Good point, I would be interested to hear others definition of ' computer enthusiast' as well.

I don't think you people should be twisting the word gamer.

there has always been a distinction between a 'hardcore gamer' and just an average gamer.

lately, the casual gamer has been making a significant impact, but that is how it is with progress.

most gamers have other hobbies. Saying gamers only play games is silly. Such as almost every single one of you on this board consider yourselves computer 'enthusiasts'

and don't say you only have a computer for gaming, you all watch movies and listen to music on your computer and even use it for work

btw, most gamers also are interested in b-ball. they run hoops. You know, sports games are one of the most lucrative franchises in video game sales.

You people? What do you mean "you people"?

I don't consider myself a computer enthusiast but I do consider my computer a gaming PC as that is it's main purpose. Sure I do other stuff on it but it's built around the idea of playing games on it.

As much as I hate the tone used in that statement, I have to agree with potatochobit here. IGN is to gamers is what Norton is to anti-virus, why anyone cares what IGN thinks about anything is beyond me. IGN is just an opinion, not the final word.

Not to completely undermine your sentiment here Death, but many times when I've seen anti-viruses compared, Norton scores very well, even though it's can be so annoying as to be the definition of crapware. Yes IGN is an opinion and not the final word but I do care what they think, along with other reviewers. I do not believe anyone is so unique that their opinion on something will not be the same or similar as anothers, so it is worth knowing the opinions when deciding if it is worth buying a game or not.

(Somebody asked and yes, IGN's list was just of "modern games," meaning the past six years.)

Enough of that rant. At the OP, this is definitely a valid point you make that a better definition of "gamer" or distinction between types of gamers is worth having. At the moment I cannot think of a exactly definition I am thinking that it cannot consider:

• the number of games played
  • how the games are played (console vs. PC)
  • how much time is spent playing

I'm sure that last one could use explaining, so here it is. For those that have jobs and families they may not have time to game, but for all other points are gamers. Also there could be complete non-gamers who spend hours upon hours gaming because it's just fun. I guess what I have in mind is that the person has to identify themselves as a gamer, someone who looks for those unnecessary challenges to overcome (I still love that definition).

There's my two cents. May add more tomorrow, if my mathematical mind decides to work on a definition.

Not to completely undermine your sentiment here Death, but many times when I've seen anti-viruses compared, Norton scores very well, even though it's can be so annoying as to be the definition of crapware. Yes IGN is an opinion and not the final word but I do care what they think, along with other reviewers. I do not believe anyone is so unique that their opinion on something will not be the same or similar as anothers, so it is worth knowing the opinions when deciding if it is worth buying a game or not.

(Somebody asked and yes, IGN's list was just of "modern games," meaning the past six years.)

Enough of that rant. At the OP, this is definitely a valid point you make that a better definition of "gamer" or distinction between types of gamers is worth having. At the moment I cannot think of a exactly definition I am thinking that it cannot consider:

• the number of games played
  • how the games are played (console vs. PC)
  • how much time is spent playing

I'm sure that last one could use explaining, so here it is. For those that have jobs and families they may not have time to game, but for all other points are gamers. Also there could be complete non-gamers who spend hours upon hours gaming because it's just fun. I guess what I have in mind is that the person has to identify themselves as a gamer, someone who looks for those unnecessary challenges to overcome (I still love that definition).

There's my two cents. May add more tomorrow, if my mathematical mind decides to work on a definition.

I'm not too sure what kind of tests or benchmarks they test anti-virus programs on but on a personal level, if the anti-virus does more damage than the viruses it's supposed to protect you from, it shouldn't really be called an anti-virus. Too many times have I removed Norton or AVG from a customers computer and the thing just leaps 7 years into future in terms of performance, this is just one aspect of the problems Norton causes though.

I know I give IGN too much crap a lot of the time and I know everyone doesn't see it the way I exaggerate it to be but you have to admit that places like IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers are kind of overrated. That's why topics like this one exists, it's because IGN said something and because it's so popular, some people feel the need to try and argue with IGN's opinions. It's kind of like Fox News, it's insanely popular and successful and when it attacks a game full of . or violence, we gamers just go nuts and have to on our forums and just rant about it instead of just ignoring their opinion.

You guys are noobs. Everyone knows that real PC gamers play the original (and far better) crush the castle.

http://armorgames.com/play/3614/crush-the-castle

And here's the sequel via the Google Chrome app store (free)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onfmndckbdbdbhagokbmmnecnflhkcig

Suh-weet, that makes me one of the most hardcore pc gamers ever, i have played literally days on that game. I just play for a distraction so a game like that is just as good a distraction the hundredth times as the first time.

lol, back to your deep discussion.