Need opinions on next upgrade

Hi guys,

Im interested in upgrading my CPU and motherboard and I wanted to ask what you think I should go for ...

Option 1 : i7 2600k and a Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68 chipset) [While keeping in mind that the 22nm die shrinks of Sandy i.e Ivy Bridge will also arrive on this platform]

Option 2 : I would also consider Bulldozer but AMD has never beaten Intel in gaming performance , an 8 core FX8130P looks appealing thoug

Option3 : And then I remembered Socket 2011 , the Intel powerhouse with quad channel memory and PCI-E 3 . How much do you think the LGA2011 cpu's will cost ? It seems like they have 2 6 core cpu's with 12Mb or 15MB(Extreme Edition of $1000+) cache with a 4 core with 10MB cache . Maybe out of my price range ?

Option 4 : Get a nice Rampage III Formula with an i7 970 6 core (Oh wait scrap that , its out of my price range and loses to a 2600k)

What should I wait for/get ?

Nyt,

This is just my two cents worth.

Swapping over to socket 1155 right now with a 2600K processor just doesn't seem like much of an "upgrade" to me considering your current system specs. You'll get some more overclocking juice out of the 2600K, and of course clock for clock performance wise it pretty much leaves the i7 920 in the dust. But you do lose triple channel memory support and two true x16 PCIe lanes. So to me changing from socket 1366 to socket 1155 is more of a linear upgrade that a true balls to the wall upgrade.

With that being said, if I were contemplating spending my own money, I'd wait to see what AMD brings to the table in the 3rd quarter, or even how Intel fairs with the socket 2011. And in fact, that's exactly what I've decided to do. I just couldn't justify switching from my current 1366 build to a 1155 build.

If I upgrade it will be because AMD's Bulldozer or Intel's socket 2011 is just too amazing to pass up.

Nyt,

This is just my two cents worth.

Swapping over to socket 1155 right now with a 2600K processor just doesn't seem like much of an "upgrade" to me considering your current system specs. You'll get some more overclocking juice out of the 2600K, and of course clock for clock performance wise it pretty much leaves the i7 920 in the dust. But you do lose triple channel memory support and two true x16 PCIe lanes. So to me changing from socket 1366 to socket 1155 is more of a linear upgrade that a true balls to the wall upgrade.

With that being said, if I were contemplating spending my own money, I'd wait to see what AMD brings to the table in the 3rd quarter, or even how Intel fairs with the socket 2011. And in fact, that's exactly what I've decided to do. I just couldn't justify switching from my current 1366 build to a 1155 build.

If I upgrade it will be because AMD's Bulldozer or Intel's socket 2011 is just too amazing to pass up.

Well the Max IV Extreme-Z has two 8x lanes but you can use the NF200 to use two 16x for SLI . They tested a 6990+6970 in the 8x and 8x and it matched the 16x and 16x setup

Oh and my 580's and RAM is being slowed down by my current i7 + mobo hence I feel the need to upgrade

My main achievment is to be able to keep this cpu+mobo setup for 2-3 years to not bottleneck any of my cards (I will upgrade when gpu's use PCI-E 3.0 lanes which will probably be the GTX700 series or HD8000 series)

I had six cores on my AMD , I hardly ever used them which is making me doubt the extra cost of an Intel 2011 6 core :-/

This is basically not one of my usual upgrades , this upgrade has to also kinda take my dad's opinion into consideration :

He prefers Intel since the expensive 1090t he got me totally fell flat on its butt after I experience my i7 920

He wants something with triple SLI capability for the future

And the biggest point is he doesnt want to spend more money for a while :P I totally agree since my sli 580's cost way more than what 580's in the US cost .

My 580s cost = $794x2 = $1588

The i7 2600k and Max IV Extreme-Z = #1059

Total = A massive $2647

Ouch.

That's a lot of cash............................

Does your dad want to adopt me? :)

Yeah its quite a lot

Only if you pay shipping :P

Just because the CPU/mobo is your technical 'bottleneck'... what exactly is your rig lacking in performance? I think the only real upgrade you'll see is your benchmark scores... for gaming, that CPU/mobo is not an upgrade worth $1500, when you'll see 5-10 FPS improvement (if at all), and usually by the time the CPU is the bottleneck with 2 GTX580's, you're already well beyond the 'smooth' 60 FPS limit.

Well my dad has given me the go-ahead for this upgrade :)

I'll be asking my local store's boss (we're best friends nearly since I spend so much money in his store :P ) to order the i7 2600k and an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z :biggrin:

The buyer for my other i7 stuff will come tomorrow or Saturday :)

Do you think I will enjoy the 2600k and stuff ?

Also anyone with a 2600k who would like to give their owner experience ?

I'd wait for socket 2011 to come out to see what becomes of Intel and Amd. I have no plan at this time BUT I see an upgrade right around q2 for me if socket 2011 comes out.

The I7-2600k is great. Overlclockability is good, getting 4.5Ghz on it isn't hard at all.

If you get one of them from a good batch then you can expect really high OCs :D

EDIT: Make sure you take advantage of the unlocked multiplier!

Edited by My_Inner_Fred