Sign in to follow this  
legend_jo

It's finally dying/dead

So i bought the HD6950 mentioned above and i'm still having an issue. With my dying 4870x2 the system would power up but not post. Now with the HD6950 I can hear it posting and can login to Windows(blindly mind you), but I get no display. I know i'm logging in because i can hear it.

Clearing the CMOS did not help. I have the latest BIOS for my board too. I dont' think it's the PSU(Antec TruPower 1000W), it powered the 4870x2 without a hitch.

I have a spare Nvidia card that i use for testing and with that card my system boots up perfectly, display and all.

Am i missing something or did i get a bad card ? :(...

Try booting into safe mode. You'll have to use your working Nvidia card to set it to boot in safe mode from MSconfig, then shut it down, switch cards and boot it back up. If it boots into safe mode and the display works then I'd suggest wiping out anything related to ATI or Nvidia display drivers and reinstall the ATI drivers for the 6000 series.

How many outputs are there on the back of the card? Try the other outputs if you haven't already. My old 8800gts would only display on one output until the drivers got ahold of it.

Is your nvidia card a lower power card?? maybe your PSU has failed and cant supply enough current to the higher powered cards??

try the software/safe mode idea though

I have not had a chance to try the safe mode tip that was suggested, but i was able to try it in another rig and got the same issue.

I'm leaning towards an RMA at this point.

I mean the same issue happens on two stable systems, the only issue seems to be the video card.

I have not had a chance to try the safe mode tip that was suggested, but i was able to try it in another rig and got the same issue.

I'm leaning towards an RMA at this point.

I mean the same issue happens on two stable systems, the only issue seems to be the video card.

Sounds like it. You have 30 days to get a replacement from Newegg directly I believe. It's going to be faster than an RMA.

I'll take the dead 4870X2 off your hands (if it's actually dead anyway). :cheers:

I'll take the dead 4870X2 off your hands (if it's actually dead anyway). :cheers:

Calm down there gravedigger, you thinkin' about baking it?

Calm down there gravedigger, you thinkin' about baking it?

I've got 2 in the house already...why not make it a triad? :lol:

I've got 2 in the house already...why not make it a triad? :lol:

I'm not discouragin' nothin, how's mine?? Sorry it's the worst overclocker the world has ever seen lol

I'm not discouragin' nothin, how's mine?? Sorry it's the worst overclocker the world has ever seen lol

It clocks better than mine...if I were smarter I'd swap my waterblock onto your card. Mine won't do anything over 800 MHz core even at 35 C fully loaded. :lol:

Mine was a launch-day card though - it's entirely likely a BIOS update would help it. :P

It clocks better than mine...if I were smarter I'd swap my waterblock onto your card. Mine won't do anything over 800 MHz core even at 35 C fully loaded. :lol:

Mine was a launch-day card though - it's entirely likely a BIOS update would help it. :P

Oh really?? I never was able to get the card over 800/950 if I remember correctly, and with most drivers, not even over 750/900