Charter purchases US Cable

I've had Charter for over a year now. I don't think I have a cap. If I do it's higher than 100gb since just a couple months or so ago I was DLing a bunch of shows recommended to me. I think I DL'd like 150+ gb in a couple days and no slow downs or anything.

Looking at my bill atm I see:

High Speed Internet ------------ 44.99

Internet MAX Upgrade ---------- 25.00

Total --------------------------------- $69.99

(25 down/3 up)

1726140054.png

I've had Charter for over a year now. I don't think I have a cap. If I do it's higher than 100gb since just a couple months or so ago I was DLing a bunch of shows recommended to me. I think I DL'd like 150+ gb in a couple days and no slow downs or anything.

Looking at my bill atm I see:

High Speed Internet ------------ 44.99

Internet MAX Upgrade ---------- 25.00

Total --------------------------------- $69.99

(25 down/3 up)

1726140054.png

You're probably on a higher plan, different plans have different caps. From their FAQ that I linked.

Lite and Express Packages – 100 GB Threshold

Send 25,000 emails at 20 kilobytes (KB) per email

Download 20 standard-definition movies at 2 GB per movie

Download 2,000 songs at 5 megabytes (MB) per song

Plus and Max (Grandfathered) Package – 250 GB Threshold

Send 25,000 emails at 20 KB per email

Download 30 standard-definition movies at 2 GB per movie

Download 15 high-definition movies at 8 GB per movie

Download 4,000 songs at 5 MB per song

Ultra100 – 500 GB Threshold

Send 40,000 emails at 20 KB per email

Download 40 standard-definition movies at 2 GB per movie

Download 30 high-definition movies at 8 GB per movie

Download 4,000 songs at 5 MB per song

Upload 8,000 high-definition digital pictures at 10 MB per picture

From the looks of it, you would be on Plus or Max I guess. So 250GB for you. I'm not sure though, all of their stuff is a bit confusing, they don't seem to keep all their information properly.

Anyway, the switch happened for me this morning, around 2AM, not good timing for me as I am usually awake at that time but for most people I'm sure it's quite convenient so kudos to Charter for getting that right so far, it's a good start. I've been testing my speeds periodically throughout the day and they aren't very consistent, not sure what to make of that. Just tested and got:

1726177177.png

Can't say I'm unhappy with the speeds at least, it's a major improvement over the 8down/1up that US Cable was offering. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to have this cap though, I might hate it but as long as Charter has a monopoly on me it really doesn't matter what I think.

What plan do you have? If you have something higher then 22 down, do you have a docsis 2.0 modem?

Below is what I got before and after getting a docsis 3.0 modem

With the old SB5101U:

1519087391.png

With the new SBG6580:

1519108323.png

:thumbsup:

(I only pay for 25MB btw :woot: )

What plan do you have? If you have something higher then 22 down, do you have a docsis 2.0 modem?

Below is what I got before and after getting a docsis 3.0 modem

Well we're supposed to be on the Express plan. According to the booklet they sent us anyway. Which is 15down/3up. Now I'm thinking I was even more right about them having their information mixed up than I thought I was. :lol:

Yep, we're using a docsis 2.0 modem it seems, so maybe we need a different one? SMC8004CM is what we're currently using, according to their info, we should be getting higher speeds than that? Maybe I'm reading it wrong though.

Also, I was considering installing DD-WRT firmware onto our router, a Linksys E1000, just for the bandwith monitoring function. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have done it with that particular router? I read up on it and the information is a bit jumbled but from what I understand it might do more harm than good.

I've never used bandwidth monitoring. I think mine does have it built in but i've never set it up or anything. If your plan is 15 down and you get 22 down I probably wouldn't bother with a docsis 3.0. But then again you might get even more then 22 down with one. As you can see mine nearly doubled.

This scared the crap out of me. I am quite content (not happy, but not resentful) with US cable in SE new mexico. I have decent speed and latency (in network is fantastic speedy 50/5, somereason they skimp on their outside connection that drops to 10/2 and adds 20ms). I'm eyeing a regional telecom that is building out fiber but the buildout stops one or two blocks from me in ever direction :vmad: and i'm in the center of town... I'll dig the ditch my damn self if charter takes over this area.