Reliable Budget Conscious SSD for laptop.

klinic

Thanks for your reply, yeah, it has thunderbolt. It's the 2011 MBP as it says in the OP. I know that I can at least RUN almost any SSD, I'm just not sure how well. I know it will at least work off the bat. But I don't want to lose an important project later down the track. I'm pretty religious with backing up though, so I imagine it won't really be an issue,

backing up and secure erasing and then backing your drive up from the image is just a part of SSD life. If you run any ssd sooner of later it's going bad, or going to get slow, so secure erasing and restoring from imaging the drives is the only way to get it back with out loosing data, so back up often, personaly if the information is that vital, and important I wouldn't rely on an SSD, maybe in 10 years time they will be reliable enough for important stuff. I only run them on my gaming rig/video edit / render machine, which I could careless when they crash or die, they are just there for the performance. Everything goes onto my server, which btw just went bad so blah.

AS far as the SSD goes tho I'd prolly recommend the Intel SSD they appear to have a slightly lower failure rate then everyone elses, for what it's worth. tho I have no clue on thier rma process.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is mainly going to be used for video editing and photoshop work. I'll be backing up all of my work constantly, plus I will be storing most important files on an external harddrive in addition to that. All my music and finished videos will be on that for example.

So, maybe I SHOULD just go for the fastest. Keep it backed up in case of death.

Based on the title I can tell you to just buy a cheap SSD and you will be fine. Laptops do not have high powered controllers and moving from a spindle to ANY SSD is a huge performance boost.

I know some people here do not like OCZ but I have not had one fail yet so I personally like them. I also like Kingston, they may not be the fastest but they are a great value and plenty fast. BTW if I am right they are the ones that make the drives for Intel.

Edited by ComputerEd

Based on the title I can tell you to just buy a cheap SSD and you will be fine. Laptops do not have high powered controllers and moving from a spindle to ANY SSD is a huge performance boost.

I know some people here do not like OCZ but I have not had one fail yet so I personally like them. I also like Kingston, they may not be the fastest but they are a great value and plenty fast. BTW if I am right they are the ones that make the drives for Intel.

:withstupid: The access times are what matters most, and in real life usage a "fast" ssd and a "mediocre" SSD would be indistinguishable from one another

I STRONGLY advise you not to get an OCZ SATA3 drive for a 2011 macbook pro right now

read around on macrumors and see what others are using

now, I have an OCZ Agitily 2 in a 2008 macbook pro and it works flawless

but... I also know Apple changed the SATA connection on the 2011 and it is not shielded properly and causes 'issues'

I also know the OCZ SATA3 series has a firmware issue that is still being worked out

putting these two problems together might be asking for trouble

so read the forum first

or you can by a Vertex2 or Agility2 and it will work fine

Intel is Ok too, or crucial in this case - I have crucial memory in my Mac

edit:

btw, I also removed my Super DVD drive and I have installed a 2nd hard drive

so I am running 1 SSD + 1 HDD inside my Mac

I have an external DVD drive incase I need to install something off a disc

Edited by potatochobit

I STRONGLY advise you not to get an OCZ SATA3 drive for a 2011 macbook pro right now

read around on macrumors and see what others are using

now, I have an OCZ Agitily 2 in a 2008 macbook pro and it works flawless

but... I also know Apple changed the SATA connection on the 2011 and it is not shielded properly and causes 'issues'

I also know the OCZ SATA3 series has a firmware issue that is still being worked out

putting these two problems together might be asking for trouble

so read the forum first

or you can by a Vertex2 or Agility2 and it will work fine

Intel is Ok too, or crucial in this case - I have crucial memory in my Mac

edit:

btw, I also removed my Super DVD drive and I have installed a 2nd hard drive

so I am running 1 SSD + 1 HDD inside my Mac

I have an external DVD drive incase I need to install something off a disc

... Really? I can't say I want issues considering the amount I payed... I'm having more trouble then I'd expected finding decent stories about SSDs on MacRumors too.

Thanks for the tips though.