My_Inner_Fred

Is the GPU acting up or the PSU?

Alright so recently I've been getting fps spikes while playing games, for example I'll be running at 60fps then suddenly it'll drop to 40 then back up to 60 causing the game stutter. It makes the game really hard to play...

I first noticed it while playing APB Reloaded then I became aware that the same thing was happening while I was playing Crysis 2.

I've updated the drivers and run the games in different compatibility modes but the problem still exists. A while back I made a thread about my PSU making a weird smell but I'm not sure if it was actually my PSU.

I have notice that my GPU makes a screeching sound while under load in the past but I haven't noticed it recently(probably due to the fact I'm always wearing a headset). So its either my GPU not getting enough power because one of the chokes are dead/damaged or the PSU really had something burning inside....

I don't have a second PSU or a second GPU to test out.

What do you guys think is wrong? Any help is welcomed.

wouldnt think it has anything to do with not enough power.. it would die every time too much was asked of it.. not happen randomly..run furmark.. thatll drain massive amounts of power and work ur gpu harder than anything else i can think of.. if it doesnt turn off by itself then ur doing fine!

especially thinking its a 850watter.. the 460 barely uses any power.. im running 2 580s off my 850 watt psu so i cant see how u could not have enough power lol

Usually if the Graphics card does not have enough power you will get Blue Screens.

It is a bit hard to describe burnt electronic parts. 8 times out of 10 if you smell your PSU or a component that is running it will smell like an electric burn/plastic burn.

Are you running a bittorrent client or anything in the background? Sounds weird but I know some bittorrent clients happen to suck a bit of juice out of your system.

Make sure nothing is running in the background: Check for Spyware/Malware (Malware Bytes and Spybot S&D are 2 great free programs)

As Matty said above grab Furmark see if you can find SiSoft Sandra (I think that's what it is called) and test your Video Card/CPU/Ram with it. See if you get any errors. Maybe even check the Hard Drives.

It is possible it is the Drivers as well. I would take some time and google your video card + game your playing and see if you come across anyone else having the same issues. Maybe someone found a fix.

Oh with a game running open the side of the case and check to see if the Fan on the Graphics card is spinning. Maybe listen to it. If your hearing a screeching it might be possible the fan is off or coming off the little thing it sits on and maybe the fan is still spinning but not at the correct RPM.

Check and make sure if you have a Fan on your Chipset it-too is running.

Normally if the fans are not working right you will also get a blue screen though.

Hope that helps a bit.

Like they said doesn't sound like a power problem. And video cards squealing can be normal. Maybe you're just pushing the settings too far? Drop some settings down and see if it helps.

Like they said doesn't sound like a power problem. And video cards squealing can be normal. Maybe you're just pushing the settings too far? Drop some settings down and see if it helps.

+1

Nope its not the settings for sure. I forgot to mention that "sometimes" the problem fixes itself when I restart my computer.

So I doubt its the settings, I've been able to play the games with no lag whatsoever with the settings on max before.

If I tell my computer to go to sleep, when I turn it back on the problem will return.

I also have a GPU monitor on my second screen and the fans rpm seems fine to me. I've also attempted to over volt my gpu to see if that fixes the problem but it didn't make a difference

I have tested my GPU will [email protected] and it makes my GPU usage to 100% - 97%.

I have been using Malwarebytes and Spybot search and destroy for a couple of years now. I doubt the anti-virus programs would be causing my lag, I'm sure my CPU should be able to handle them all fine.

So... Im kind of stumped... I'll reinstall directX when I get back from work, maybe it is a software issue...

Oh I also think it isn't my hard drives issue due to the fact APB is installed on my 1TB Caviar Green drive and Crysis 2 is on my 1TB Caviar Black drive and they both experience the problem.

I'll be sure to listen for the fan when I get back, I only pay attention to the RPM meter on my second screen so I'm oblivious to how the actual fan is doing.

It might just be a natural framerate drop. Does anything in particular happen in the game? Or are you just standing still and nothing is going on and this happens?

I know in some games, if I have the settings maxed that lots of explosions or gunfire can really mess things up. Same goes for water physics.

nope I'm just playing the game normally. I'm positive its not normal framerate lag I've never come across this type of gameplay behavior before. If I look at my GPU monitor I can see that the GPU isn't working 100% all the time. I makes these random spikes and drops down to 50%-80% of usage then back up to 100%

After playing for around 2 hours or more it goes back to a stable 100% with no drops.

I've mentioned before If I restart my computer the problem sometimes goes away and the random spiking doesn't exist, so the usage stays at 100% for the whole time without random spiking.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

When you reinstalled your graphics drivers, did you use driver sweeper? Sometimes that can help give you a clean slate to start out with. Also, try downgrading to the 266 drivers (using driver sweeper of course) if you haven't already because there have been some very strange issues going on with the 270-275 drivers.