bicks868

Mid range Gaming Rig ~$1300 budget

@pkilway

lol

@medbor

thanks for the feedback

I'll look into the P67 more then, because I'd like as much cost effectiveness of this build as possible

The reason I chose this 560Ti model was because of the much better temperature scores and similiar performance scores it got in the reviews I checked (see Hardware Canucks and Tom's Hardware and not forgetting OverclockersClub :P ) I would really like a cool running system so I'm prepared to shell out a little extra for a card with a good aftermarket heatsink.

With regards to the SSD I might delay the addition till I can afford a higher capacity one (like 120GB) as I was reading how a SSD performs best with some additional space left over (is this true?) and with Windows and a few games installed, I don't wanna bog it down.

I'll rethink the PSU when it comes time to buy as it seems to be the 'weak link' of the system

Yes there is a difference between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz but its barely noticable. The only reason you'd want to get 1600Mhz is if ur CPU isn't unlocked, It'll give u more headroom to Overlcock. If ur processor is a unlocked version like the I5-2500k ur buying then 1333 will be just fine. I went ahead and got the 1600Mhz even though I already had the I7-2600K because they were on sale at Newegg. XD

as I was reading how a SSD performs best with some additional space left over (is this true?)

Yes that is true. The recommended amount to leave free has been hotly debated though.

For my purposes I try to keep 30% of my SSD free. It's not a scientific number - just one I picked.

thanks for all the feedback so far guys :thumbsup:

I just have an update regarding the build and some new questions.

First off, I won't be able to get the ASRock mobo because it is not available from Tigerdirect.ca (the purchasing will be done at their store in Markham Ontario and I only have a 5-day window for shopping and buying online is out of the question). Therefore I am now faced with a choice of these 3 motherboards:

• ASUS P8P67 B3 Intel P67 Motherboard ($184)
  • ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Intel P67 Motherboard ($200)
  • ASUS P8Z68-V Intel Z68 Motherboard ($200)

some things to consider:

1. I will NOT be doing heavy overclocking

2. The rig will be used primarily for gaming/CAD suites at 1440x900 resolution MAX.

3. I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible on this build

Currently I'm leaning towards the ASUS P8Z68-V Intel Z68 Motherboard.. Can I get some of your views?

Finally , these motherboards all have two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots so this opens the possiblilty of SLI further down the road for me (dual MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Cards). I read here that the full-load power draw was around 628W so I'm wondering if a 650W power supply will be sufficient or should I play it safe and get a 750W supply?

Thanks in advance!

I would go for the Z68 board myself.

Intel Smartboost

LucidLogix technology

It gives you more options

Hey guys.. sorry to necro my old thread but I just wanted to give an update of what I've done with regard to my build. ALOT of changes were made and I am happy to say that it should be arriving Monday :woo:

Here's the new component list

CPU - i5-2500k

CPU Cooler - Corsair H60

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme 4

RAM - 8Gb Dorsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Power Supply - Corsair HX 850W

Videocard - MSI 448core Twin Frozr III 560 ti

Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 (with added fans of course :ouch: )

SSD - Patriot Pyro 120Gb

HDD - WD Caviar Black 500Gb ($129 :whoa: CURSE YOU THAILAND FLOODS!!!)

Misc Extras

Mouse - Logitech G500

Headset - Logitech G330

Webcam - Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

ASUS DVD Burner, Rosewill Wireless Card

I plan on picking up a keyboard soon (will be using a piece of crap one for now) as well as a speaker system (5.1 most likely) and another V-card for SLI (provided that the 448 core cards arent taken out of production by the time I've saved up enough).

I went a bit over my budget, but after a few months of delays, I felt like treating myself lol

Thanks everyone for your help.. I hope to pop my overclocking cherry soon :blush: