Mid range Gaming Rig ~$1300 budget

bicks868

What's up guys & gals.. I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on this setup I'm planning.

Notable Points:

1. I will be using a MAX RESOLUTION OF 1440x900 (this is the res of a monitor I already have and I don't plan on gettin another till this one dies)

2. It will be used primarily for gaming (and maybe CAD/CAM suites such as AutoCAD/Solidworks etc)

3. I am clueless with regard to overclocking right now but plan to OC later on as I learn from this site (not heavily though)

4. Games will be the usual big titles: Civilisation 5, The Witcher, Dead Space, Mass Effect etc.

5. I don't plan on further expansion of the build in terms of SLI etc

The Components:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 (adding two CM 200mm Megaflow Red LED fans for front/top)

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Motherboard: AsRock Z68 PRO3

RAM : GSkill Ripjaws X Series OR Corsair Vengeance (both 1600MHz, 2x4GB, 9-9-9-24, 240pin DDR3.. leaning towards the GSkill based on the smaller heatspreader)

Videocard: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (for boot and one or two programs/games)

HDD: Western Digital RE4 500GB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply

Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 OR Thermaltake E-Sports Challenger Pro

Mouse: Logitech MX 518 Wired Optical Gaming Mouse OR Logitech G500 Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

Headset: Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset

I will also be adding on a PCI Wireless Network Card, CD/DVD Burner.

Any feedback/opinions/suggestions are welcome on ANY component. Thanks in advance! :thx:

Looks pretty good, but personally I'd change two things.

1) I'd get one 120gb SSD hard drive, unless you plan on running a raid 0.

2) I'd opt for a slightly larger psu, one that's 600W+ or one that possibly has 2 6+2 connectors (for future upgradability).

@pkilway

thanks for the feedback

I think my wording was bad with that... i meant i'd buy one SSD and use it for booting and a few programs

Also, I don't plan on any further upgrades for this pc at all. When it's near obsoletion I will just use it as the family pc for my mom to play her flash games and the like (or whatever is around at that time lol)

Would 550W be ample power for the system?

@My_Inner_Fred

thanks for the feedback

I think I'll definitely go with the ripjaws then, they look stunning and from the reviews I read, they perform great.

Does it make sense to go with 1600 RAM over 1333 if I plan minor overclocking later on? That is, is the difference big enough to notice?

@pkilway

thanks for the feedback

I think my wording was bad with that... i meant i'd buy one SSD and use it for booting and a few programs

Also, I don't plan on any further upgrades for this pc at all. When it's near obsoletion I will just use it as the family pc for my mom to play her flash games and the like (or whatever is around at that time lol)

@My_Inner_Fred

thanks for the feedback

I think I'll definitely go with the ripjaws then, they look stunning and from the reviews I read, they perform great.

Does it make sense to go with 1600 RAM over 1333 if I plan minor overclocking later on? That is, is the difference big enough to notice?

I have the same g.skill mem in my system, it works just fine!

Also, I have a Corsair 650w Enthusiast PSU for sale if you end up shopping towards that wattage range. Link to my thread is in my signature if interested. 10% off for Members.

bicks - your proposed build components look pretty good. There isn't a single item on your proposed build that I'd consider an out right mistake. You've thought out a budget, stated your intended uses and were even kind enough to point out what resolution you would be gaming at. You've done your research! Nice work.

I could nitpick on the power supply because a good psu is one thing you can definitely carry from one rig to the next upgrade if you're so inclined. And in this day and age I would consider a 550W to be the minimum for even a lower end enthusiast class build.

But again, as I said in my very first sentence, I don't see anything in your proposed build that I'd consider a no-no.

Good luck on the build.

As far as RAM speed goes...... I'd personally pick the DDR3 1600Mhz kit - it will give you a little more breathing room if you decide to play around with overclocking later on.

@pkilway

thanks for the feedback

@My_Inner_Fred

thanks for the feedback

Lol, I read your post again, my mistake - from some reason I thought you were buying 2 Vertex SSD's, and not 1 Vertex 2 SSD.

Like wevsspot said, you've got a solid setup picked out. And if you don't plan on upgrading the system, then the CMPSU-550VX 550W psu would be a solid choice.

z68 boards are great but expensive, i think a p67 board should satisfy your needs quite well.

1600 ram is what most people buy, but 1333 is just as fine if it is cheaper. 8GB is the minimum if you are not going to upgrade.

Are there any cheaper 560ti models? it is almost never worth buying factory overclocked models.

I definitely recommend the MX518 mouse, i've had it for several years, and you can even use it on the couch without a mousepad.

60GB SSD is fine, but you might want extra space in a while. Just buy another down the line if needed.

The PSU is fine, but not a very good quality model. i would suggest a AX/HX/TX 650W depending on what you can afford. They all have longer warranty and higher quality/efficiency.

500GB storage is very tight for my needs, but it is easy to expand down the line. 1.5/2TB drives are cheaper for the storage though.

@wevsspot

thanks for the feedback

since you guys suggested it, I'll look into a 650W supply (probably the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W which has 2 of the 6+2 pin connectors)

I see on newegg they're both the same price so if the difference is not too large, I'll try for that one instead.