neddamttocs

Do you have/use an eReader?

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have/use an eReader?

• Sony eReaders (300/350/500/505/600/650/700/900)
    • Kobo
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Barnes and Noble 'Nook'
    • Asus Eee Reader (DR900)
    • Other
    • I do not have a eReader

If/when I get an eReader, it will be the biggest one available. Probably the Kindle DX or equivalent. I've tried out the smaller one and it's just too small for me. I'll happily pay the premium for the real estate.

His beard reads for him just fine. :P

I just need to teach it to type now. Or maybe I need to work on my mustache for that.

Kindle...my wife and 8 year old use it more than me, though because I collect Star Wars books and still have ~50 to read :)

One other thing that is really nice about any ereader are out of copyright books. Books from before 1920 are public domain so you can get them for free. Most of the books I've downloaded I got that way. If you can't find it at your ereader's store, try Project Gutenberg. Sorry if that seems like an advertisement but it is nice being able to get some old classics for free.

Thanks for the website...added a dozen classics...will be a while before they're read though

What is a e-reader ? :P No Im serious what is an e-reader ? I dont have one that I know of ...

I could imagine its an application with a configurable male/female voice that reads you everything as long is in PDF format :biggrin:

But I doubt it. Looks just like acrobat reader for mobile phones??? No idea.... :blink:

I could imagine its an application with a configurable male/female voice that reads you everything as long is in PDF format :biggrin:

But I doubt it. Looks just like acrobat reader for mobile phones??? No idea.... :blink:

The Kindle can open PDF's but it treats them like a picture and doesn't try to distinguish text as text. However, Kindle ebooks and mobi files (the native format of the Kindle is mobi and azw is a DRM protected form of it) can be read to you with either a male or female voice and at varying speeds.

You actually couldn't use PDF as the standard ebook file on most ereaders for the simple reason that a pdf has a set page size. If the device and pdf have different aspect ratios to it you've either got letter or pillar boxing. Also a pdf has side margins to it that you don't need or want on an ereader. Also if the pdf was mde with an 8.5x11in sheet of paper in mind, then the 6in diagonal screen you find on many ereaders wouldn't be big enough, and you would have to zoom in, and then reflow the text, or have lines finish off the screen. With the current formats of mobi and ePub you've got something that will fill the screen and adapt the word flow to the text size you want.

To put it simply, pdf support just isn't that great right now and while it may be possible to have pdf as a competitor to mobi and ePub, Adobe is probably the only company that would have the interest and ability to do what would have to be done.

Cell phone does the same thing with Google Books. I personally like Amazon Kindle just because of their selection and wide array of supported devices. So no, no e-reader here!

I'm actually contemplating getting a Kindle now. Any reason to get the 3G one instead of just the WiFi?

If you're going somewhere that you may not be able to access WiFi and you

• have a newspaper, blog, or other kind of regularly updated item on it
  • want to purchase a new item on it
  • want to download a previously purchased item
  • want to access annotations from others or yourself, made on a different Kindle reading device
  • want to be able to go online with it (it actually isn't that bad though OCC is so dark and has so many images and flash it doesn't render that great)

then yes, you want the 3G. I had another reason for getting the 3G+WiFi model that I greatly doubt most share.

Oh, another reason is if you want a white one. The WiFi only version is only black while the 3G+WiFi is available in white and black.

Finally, just two things I'd like to share. If you get a case for it, the Amazon ones with the built in light are awesome! You can pull the light out of the case and at full extension (and if the Kindle is awake) it comes on and really does it's job well. Seriously, not only was it a great idea to combine the light with the case, but to run it off the internal battery and all that is so cool. The second thing is at least the lighted cases are thick. You more than double the thickness with one of those, but they are nice to have. They also really add some weight. I don't mean it is a lot of weight, but it is noticeable (especially since the Kindle is just light).

Anyhow, if you're going to be traveling where you may not be able to access WiFi but you think you will need the internet connection on it, the 3G will be nice to have. But if its just a thing to read at home, at work, and short trips, don't bother. It is still nice to have, but not a necessity in that case

I'm actually contemplating getting a Kindle now. Any reason to get the 3G one instead of just the WiFi?

The wifi is quite sufficient for my purposes. I download a few books, read them over a few weeks then download more. I really just read books on it. I suppose if you did tasks that required internet access often, then 3G might be nice but I have other devices for that. I only use it as an eBook. It does that superbly :thumbsup: