Do you have/use an eReader?

neddamttocs

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have/use an eReader?

• Sony eReaders (300/350/500/505/600/650/700/900)
    • Kobo
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Barnes and Noble 'Nook'
    • Asus Eee Reader (DR900)
    • Other
    • I do not have a eReader

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have one since I'm not really into reading books

Your loss.

I got a Kindle this past Christmas. Love it, though I wasn't able to read much on it during the spring semester. Now that it's over, been reading on it a lot more. Still prefer books for some things since not everything is available digitally, but a lot of others are stored on the Kindle.

I could never do an digital textbook but for regular prose and poetry, my Kindle works great. Also the annotation capabilities I find very useful. Would be nice to see some more books on it though, like the Two Towers. Okay, seriously, check this out; Amazon, in the US, has the Fellowship of the Ring Just checked and now they do have the entire Lord of the Rings collection on the Kindle. They didn't use to have the Two Towers, but Fellowship and Return they did have. Guess I'm making a purchase!

One other thing that is really nice about any ereader are out of copyright books. Books from before 1920 are public domain so you can get them for free. Most of the books I've downloaded I got that way. If you can't find it at your ereader's store, try Project Gutenberg. Sorry if that seems like an advertisement but it is nice being able to get some old classics for free.

I agree Jim, I've grabbed a bunch of older classics for free since they are public domain. None of my textbooks from the past semester were available for the Kindle, kind of glad they weren't since I could sell them back to Amazon easier that way. :lol: Credit I got from that I snagged a case for the Kindle so it won't get damaged during trips or accumulate dust when I haven't used it in a bit.

I can't read so I voted none.

That's not good for a news editor :lol:

Now I've got this scene in my head (look to 0:50 to understand why).

From Murder by Death, a very funny movie, even if you don't get all the references.

His beard reads for him just fine. :P

That's funny, because I started growing a beard since about the time I started the trial period to be a news editor. I just have good timing, don't I? Now all I need are for my news sources to be updated on the weekends and I'll be in really good shape.

ive read 4 books a year from 4th grade till i was a junior, i havent read a single book front to back scince, dont get me wrong i did enjoy reading books, but its hard for me to just pick one up and start reading, i would probably benifet from an e reader, and my phone doesnt do apps, so i guess i cant go that route the only "good" feature on my phone is bluetooth, and thats just so i can use it with the sync in my car

I don't have a dedicated eReader device, however I do have several devices that can also serve a function as an eReader. I like the fact that my iPad and iPhone can access content from Apple's iBooks, Amazon's Kindle, B&N's Nook, Google Books, Safari Books Online (not to be confused with the web browser), and others.

I have been considering an Ereader for months now. I read alot of Fiction for entertainment. I prefer the computer or reading, over TV.

Not sure which reader is technically best or which service offers the largest library for choice.

Price would be secondary.

I have been considering an Ereader for months now. I read alot of Fiction for entertainment. I prefer the computer or reading, over TV.

Not sure which reader is technically best or which service offers the largest library for choice.

Price would be secondary.

If price is secondary then I do suggest you consider the Kindle DX. It may be $380 and somewhat dated at this point (though there is speculation there is going to be a new Kindle announced this year, so maybe they will update it) the 9.7" screen is beautiful. You can fit the smaller Kindle and Nook inside the screen.

What I recommend you do is go somewhere like a Best Buy where they have all of the major ereaders on display to be held. That way you can see what you like in your hands. Also you may want to look at what books are available and that you want. Would kind of stink if you found the perfect ereader for you, but the books you want are exclusive to a different one. Plus that way you can compare prices of the ebooks.

Other than that stuff, feel free to ask questions. The Kindle, Nook, and Sony readers are all owned by someone here. It looks like I'm the only one that selected that I own a Nook, and I do also own a Kindle, so I can tell you about both and compare them. Of course, I've had a Kindle longer and do prefer it, so I may disadvantage the Nook, but I will do my best to be fair to both.