Liclac

help me choosing the processor...

Hi OCC...

I am planning on a new desktop build... the main purpose is for Photoshop and After Effects (720p and 1080p editing for animation), 3D rendering in Maya and Max, digital drawing in high resolution, and gaming (not much, but I am quite a gamer).. I will overclock the processor...

The question is, I have read a lot of review and comparison between 1155 and 1366 processor i-series (i7 2600k vs i7 970)... some people said that i7 2600k SB is good for gaming, and it almost outperform the 970 hexa core.. The i7 970 is good for rendering, encoding decoding, and heavy multi threaded processes. Some people said too, the 970 hexa core can perform higher than now in the future if there are more applications that support six core.. How can applications nowadays still doesn't support six core even the six core AMD and intel processors were released about 2/3 years ago? I just don't understand about it...

For the GPU, I need the CUDA and PhysX from Nvidia... but I need it for gaming too...

Intel Core i7 970 Hexa Core

Cooling: Thermaltake Frio OCK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106178

EVGA X58 FTW3

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=132-GT-E768-KR&family=Motherboard%20Family&series=Intel%20X58%20Series%20Family&sw=5

Kingston HyperX T1 Black Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104250

Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III 1TB 64MB

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

GPU: Asus GTX570 1280MB (single GPU)

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775Watt.

Case: Thermaltake Element V Nvidia Edition Full Tower.

Any suggestion about this? thank you very much...

Regards

EDIT: additional information: I am going to run 2 or 3 monitor at once....

Edited by Liclac

So here's my take on this, i have seen a few benchmark testing on the i7 970 vs i7 2600k processors and it is a topic of great debate. From what i've seen, the i7 2600k can outperform the hexa core processor in the GAMING perspective but your system is more intended for video editing and in this aspect the i7 970 processors prevails over the i7 2600k but it is not by a great difference that one would expect for the price difference and hexa core. i personally recommend the i7 970 for your situation also because you plan on running more than one monitors. So all in all i think the hexa core is more suited for you but if you think the price difference is too much for only a small boost in performance then the i7 2600k is the option to go with.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/157?vs=287

That link will help you in your decision as a comparison.

I LIKE SAYING HEXA INSTEAD OF SAYING 6. :-}

For video editing or heavy multimedia (photo/design editing) then the 2600K is recommended as it can utilize hyperthreading. If your programs don't take advantage of it, then the 2500K is just a lower stock clocked 2600K.

Do you know if your programs run better on the 2600K or the 970? For gaming, honestly you are talking a few FPS- and this only when your CPU is the bottleneck (which it will rarely be with a GTX 570). So I don't think gaming is a factor in deciding between the two- both will be fine.

From your list you seems to prefer the 970, so get the 970, not question of performance but more about reliability, Sandy Bridge is full of bugs, look at the post on many manufacturers forums, memory compatibility problems over and over. I see you list also an Asus 570. the ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 , is the one you need, With this massive cooler , you can leave the card on auto, and it will probably never go over 50'C , I have the 580 big brother and on folding it go around 48-50 on auto setting. You can match it with a board like the Rampage III gene, rock solid with a price tag around $ 200.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432

Edited by AquaLab

For your needs the 970 is the better way to go. You will have tri channel memory for more throughput and 12 threads that will render instead of the 4 or 8 suggested. The 2600K is a potent beast but dual channel memory and 8 threads just wont do the same amount of work in multi threaded applications. The higher clock speeds you can run on the 2600K are insane but more threads equal more work done in a shorter time frame. The only place you will see a benifit in gaming is at low resolutions if at all. If you play at higher resolutions with the eye candy turned up the GPU becomes the bottleneck not the CPU.

I say get the 970 and complimenting hardware.

thanks for the reply all...

So here's my take on this, i have seen a few benchmark testing on the i7 970 vs i7 2600k processors and it is a topic of great debate. From what i've seen, the i7 2600k can outperform the hexa core processor in the GAMING perspective but your system is more intended for video editing and in this aspect the i7 970 processors prevails over the i7 2600k but it is not by a great difference that one would expect for the price difference and hexa core. i personally recommend the i7 970 for your situation also because you plan on running more than one monitors. So all in all i think the hexa core is more suited for you but if you think the price difference is too much for only a small boost in performance then the i7 2600k is the option to go with.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/157?vs=287

That link will help you in your decision as a comparison.

I LIKE SAYING HEXA INSTEAD OF SAYING 6. :-}

Thanks for the link! The different is not too much significant compared to 2600k, but considering the multi threaded (4 extra thread) and program compatibility of hexa core in the future, 970 would be the best I think... the 970 price now is around 500$, almost the same as 960 in the past.. lol...

From your list you seems to prefer the 970, so get the 970, not question of performance but more about reliability, Sandy Bridge is full of bugs, look at the post on many manufacturers forums, memory compatibility problems over and over. I see you list also an Asus 570. the ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 , is the one you need, With this massive cooler , you can leave the card on auto, and it will probably never go over 50'C , I have the 580 big brother and on folding it go around 48-50 on auto setting. You can match it with a board like the Rampage III gene, rock solid with a price tag around $ 200.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432

Actually, yes, I prefer the 970.... Indeed, I read many review of SB bugs, especially in memory compatibility, I am surprised that SB series have so many bugs.... -.-'

Oh my, what a huge cooling for a GTX570... thanks..... :)

I'm assuming whatever isn't linked has already been acquired??

not yet, I am still planning and searching for the best part.. :D

For your needs the 970 is the better way to go. You will have tri channel memory for more throughput and 12 threads that will render instead of the 4 or 8 suggested. The 2600K is a potent beast but dual channel memory and 8 threads just wont do the same amount of work in multi threaded applications. The higher clock speeds you can run on the 2600K are insane but more threads equal more work done in a shorter time frame. The only place you will see a benifit in gaming is at low resolutions if at all. If you play at higher resolutions with the eye candy turned up the GPU becomes the bottleneck not the CPU.

I say get the 970 and complimenting hardware.

Thanks... 970 seems the best... Actually, how big the different between the dual channel SB memory configuration and triple channel Gulftown memory configuration?

Suddenly, this question came up to my mind while reading this thread.... Will it be an Intel SB X-series hexa core just like the 1st gen i7 (980x, 990x)? or the X series will be replaced by Ivy Bridge?

I would go with something other then this power supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775Watt.

I would look for an 800 or better corsair, coolermaster or antec unit for the task.

Only reson I say is I had a thermaltake 750 watt PSU that could not power a GTX 260 to save its life.

I would go with something other then this power supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775Watt.

I would look for an 800 or better corsair, coolermaster or antec unit for the task.

Only reson I say is I had a thermaltake 750 watt PSU that could not power a GTX 260 to save its life.

Really? I'll change it... thank you for the feedback!... :)

The tripple chanel memory is marginally faser, but most importantly it means that you will have 6 ramslots instead of 4!

I guess that 12GB could suffice ramwise, but if you are doing some serios work that ram could quickly get filled. If i where you i would fins some cheap 1333MHz and buy 6x4GB of it.

The hexacore is marginally faster in heavily multithreaded apps, and marginally slower in more single threaded, so the performance should be about equal, though the hexacor wil draw some more power if that is an issue.

To my recollection it is impossible to drive more than 2 monitors from nvidia cards, although i could be wrong (things changes fast sometimes), but if that is the case i would instead go for sli GTX560 (ti or non ti doesn't really matter) costa a little more, but will perform better, and support up to 4 screens (2 per card).

Any Corsair AX/HX/TX 650+W Power supply should power it plenty, though more will get you more quiet and efficient regulation.

You will see no benefit at all from buying a Sata 6GB/s drive over plain old SATA 2, but pay more for it, so i would recomment against it.

The tripple chanel memory is marginally faser, but most importantly it means that you will have 6 ramslots instead of 4!

I guess that 12GB could suffice ramwise, but if you are doing some serios work that ram could quickly get filled. If i where you i would fins some cheap 1333MHz and buy 6x4GB of it.

The hexacore is marginally faster in heavily multithreaded apps, and marginally slower in more single threaded, so the performance should be about equal, though the hexacor wil draw some more power if that is an issue.

To my recollection it is impossible to drive more than 2 monitors from nvidia cards, although i could be wrong (things changes fast sometimes), but if that is the case i would instead go for sli GTX560 (ti or non ti doesn't really matter) costa a little more, but will perform better, and support up to 4 screens (2 per card).

Any Corsair AX/HX/TX 650+W Power supply should power it plenty, though more will get you more quiet and efficient regulation.

You will see no benefit at all from buying a Sata 6GB/s drive over plain old SATA 2, but pay more for it, so i would recomment against it.

Thanks... I am planning on overclock the CPU, and increase the bus speed... I can upgrade it later, so the 12GB is more than enough already for now... :)

Actually, I have GTX560 in my mind, but I didn't think about SLI, that would be a good consideration...thanks..

Oh my, I forgot, IVIYTH0S told me before when I was asking about my friend's computer here, the SATA III doesn't have any advantage over SATA II, except if I use SSD for it... Thanks for the reminder.. :P