Gigabyte G1.Assassin Review

bp9801

And did so very well. :)

Or not.

Since when is $400 considered a reasonable price for a motherboard?!

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with the conclusion - that price is nowhere near a Pro, no matter how you look at it.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with the conclusion - that price is nowhere near a Pro, no matter how you look at it.

I couldn't agree more. Reading through that review reminded me of the annual gear reviews that Outdoor Life does on things like bows, rifles, shotguns, optics etc. Sure they review nice stuff but it's so far priced out of even the upper end main stream it seems like a waste of paper to even publish the review.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing the board at all one way or another. But I just wonder what they were thinking.................... And I LOVE Gigabyte gear.

But why anyone would pay that much money for a motherboard, especially with new AMD offerings and Intel 2011 right around the corner is beyond me. But it's not my money so I don't have much room to criticize.

People pay that and then hold onto the board for several years, 3 years if memory serves me right is the average upgrade cycle based on whatever data pool you want to look at.

When it comes to pricing what do a high end Xfi sound card and Bigfoot NIC run? $100 and up for the sound and another $70 and up so there is a good chunk of cash that goes towards the high cost of admission. These are added features. That being said people will pay for a name or look, Just look at the amount of people paying for ROG series stuff from ASUS. ASUS has the ROG boards and Gigabyte has the G1 both are expensive and fit a niche market that will pay the price, there is a market and some people will pay it. Its just like buying cars. Will a little ford fiesta get you to your meeting any faster than a Bugatti Veyron when driving the speed limit? Nope it sure wont but man it looks nice and goes really fast up to the speed limit, is loaded up with all the features and just says FU to everyone else. One you could pay for with lunch money and the other is house money for your whole block.

Do you need a motherboard like this or do you want it and are willing to pay the price for the feature set and construction. Its the same reason people buy Extreme edition CPUs.

Is 500 bucks a lot for a board? It sure is but there is added value included. Would I spend 500 bucks on it? Maybe! I also buy the upper end when I buy not because I can but its what I want and have to save up to get it. Eventually it all gets old and new things surpass the performance. As fast as tech changes now its a crap shoot if you buy anything.

I like the look but still 5 large is a steep price. Now to figure out how to squeeze two CPUs out of the budget without the wife finding out.........

People pay that and then hold onto the board for several years, 3 years if memory serves me right is the average upgrade cycle based on whatever data pool you want to look at.

When it comes to pricing what do a high end Xfi sound card and Bigfoot NIC run? $100 and up for the sound and another $70 and up so there is a good chunk of cash that goes towards the high cost of admission. These are added features. That being said people will pay for a name or look, Just look at the amount of people paying for ROG series stuff from ASUS. ASUS has the ROG boards and Gigabyte has the G1 both are expensive and fit a niche market that will pay the price, there is a market and some people will pay it. Its just like buying cars. Will a little ford fiesta get you to your meeting any faster than a Bugatti Veyron when driving the speed limit? Nope it sure wont but man it looks nice and goes really fast up to the speed limit, is loaded up with all the features and just says FU to everyone else. One you could pay for with lunch money and the other is house money for your whole block.

Do you need a motherboard like this or do you want it and are willing to pay the price for the feature set and construction. Its the same reason people buy Extreme edition CPUs.

Is 500 bucks a lot for a board? It sure is but there is added value included. Would I spend 500 bucks on it? Maybe! I also buy the upper end when I buy not because I can but its what I want and have to save up to get it. Eventually it all gets old and new things surpass the performance. As fast as tech changes now its a crap shoot if you buy anything.

I like the look but still 5 large is a steep price. Now to figure out how to squeeze two CPUs out of the budget without the wife finding out.........

The point is that, even considering the sound card and NIC card, the board is still way too expensive. He argues that $400 (the price after deducting the worth of the sound card and NIC card) is a reasonable price for a motherboard and sorry, but that's a load of crap. Most people spend half that. Sure, there are always people out there that buy anything, but that doesn't stop a product from being overpriced. My argument is not that it's not a great board, because obviously it is, but rather that "Price" should certainly not be listed as a "Pro" no matter how you want to look at it.

most people do keep their boards for awhile but as technology advances the products do not hold their value even though people might think so or wish it

like for example, my unibody macbook pro is basically worth less than 1/3rd of what I paid simply because the sandy bridge version came out and is cheap/affordable

when you invest in the latest tech, being a "first adopter" you should never do so with the thought of your purchase being an investment

you get the cool new toys, but you gotz to pay

motherboards are also completely tied to the CPU, so a boards value can last long if you get it near the start of a CPU cycle and if the chipsets dont change much over the next year or two

personally I think its best to buy midrange/good value and upgrade as often as needed

Or not.

Since when is $400 considered a reasonable price for a motherboard?!

The point is that, even considering the sound card and NIC card, the board is still way too expensive. He argues that $400 (the price after deducting the worth of the sound card and NIC card) is a reasonable price for a motherboard and sorry, but that's a load of crap. Most people spend half that. Sure, there are always people out there that buy anything, but that doesn't stop a product from being overpriced. My argument is not that it's not a great board, because obviously it is, but rather that "Price" should certainly not be listed as a "Pro" no matter how you want to look at it.

$400 being too much is your opinon not mine.

Just because you won't spend $400 on a board doesn't mean the rest of us won't.

Any of the high boards start at $300 and go up from there so $400 is not a far stretch if you remove the Sound Card and Nic, is $500 a lot yes it is. I would have rather seen it at $399 personally but still a $100 more is not that much, as long as the board keeps on ticking. :)

$400 being too much is your opinon not mine.

Just because you won't spend $400 on a board doesn't mean the rest of us won't.

Any of the high boards start at $300 and go up from there so $400 is not a far stretch if you remove the Sound Card and Nic, is $500 a lot yes it is. I would have rather seen it at $399 personally but still a $100 more is not that much, as long as the board keeps on ticking. :)

Again, you're missing the point. Of course there are people that'll spend that much - there are people that will spend anything. Just because those people exist, even if you're one of them, doesn't mean it's not overpriced compared to what's out there. Just look at newegg - there's no board over $400 (not counting server boards, obviously). So to list price as a "Pro" is ridiculous when his argument is that if you discount the sound card and NIC, you have a $400 board and that's somehow a good deal.

My only argument here is that price is not a "Pro", not that there aren't people willing to buy it.

Asus is more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131726

I had to laugh at this mistake :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121402 It better build the computer itself for that price haha.

But I hear your point your point and what you are stating, in my opinion I still think its a fair price in your opinion you don't. :)

I personally run a $400 board. That is what it was when I got it anyhow. Asus P6T7 Ws Supercomputer.

There are many reasons behind that but one of the Larger factors was the NF200 chip that allows three PCI-X16 bandwith lanes. I inteneded to SLI some cards and there are Three GTX480's that are utilized in game. Another one is the Quality of the heatpipe configuration. The chipset never gets over 40c when being passively cooled and when in a case cooled it will reach 36 and stay there. That's with a massive overclock also. Not only has the chip on this board been just barely above freezing but its been over the operating temperature of most automobile engines when operated properly. The board is a tough one and it has remained that way despite all I have put it through so I defiantly for the past year have gotten what I have payed for.

Could I have done the job with less of a Board... Likely. The point is I am happy with it. everything else does not matter or carry any weight here.

But here I have to agree and disagree with clay. It can be a pro because you get what you pay for.... But you still have to shell out what it is... and 500 bones is a lot no matter what. :P