Are the ECS (Elite Group) graphics cards good?

aziz37

Hi everyone! I'm looking to buy a graphics card and I have decided to take the ECS GTX 550 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814134130 but I never heard of this brand. So now I'm confused as to the reliability of their cards, are they good? I live in Bangladesh and I don't have much option to get cards from other manufacturers, it's either ECS or Gigabyte. We do get ASUS cards here but problem is it'll be a long time before the ASUS 550 Ti's are here and I can't wait that long. So are the ECS cards good? I have a Thermaltake TR2 450W PSU so getting a GTX 460/Radeon 6850 won't be proper because they consume more power, right?

I was also wondering which samsung monitor would be best for gaming and watching movies with the 550Ti? Will the 21.5" (1920x1080) monitors be better with the 550 Ti or will the 18.5" (1366x768) be better?

Eagerly waiting for your help! :)

well generaly all gfx cards perform better at low res as it is easier, but then it starts to get cpu dependant so you would need a good cpu too... i also might get a 550... just not a ti whatever it means... for ur info it can run crysis in high and some very high dx10 @1080 at playable framerates :) Did you looks at reviews regarding rma and stuff online? gigabyte is good?

also link is broken....

also welcome...

http://www.newegg.co...0&Tpk=ecs%20550

this?

paul might be able to help with the psu whether its good or not....

Edited by Dan The Gamer

Nooooooo!!!!! Don't get one of those!!!! Worst brand ever! I bought a 480 from them thinking it didn't really matter the brand coz it was a reference board... Worst idea ever... Didn't work properly.. Nothing but headaches.. Had it replaced with another ecs branded card... Same problem... Eventually gave it back and got a different brand 580... Never had a problem since..

Nyt was around for it.. Ask him how ftustrating it was.. I'll never recommended that brand.

Nooooooo!!!!! Don't get one of those!!!! Worst brand ever! I bought a 480 from them thinking it didn't really matter the brand coz it was a reference board... Worst idea ever... Didn't work properly.. Nothing but headaches.. Had it replaced with another ecs branded card... Same problem... Eventually gave it back and got a different brand 580... Never had a problem since..

Nyt was around for it.. Ask him how ftustrating it was.. I'll never recommended that brand.

If it was an early example that did not have the BIOS flashed to raise the fan speed then yes you could have problems. My reference 480 will absolutely cook if I don't raise the fan speed. ECS has slowly been changing their reputation with their latest stuff. Higher build quality and parts but it seems the old reputation is still there. A reference card is exactly that. A card that is assembled by NVIDIA or AMD and sent to the distributor ie ECS, ASUS , MSI ,GIGABYTE. They are all the same with a different set of stickers to designate whom sold it. Its how it works. Then there are the custom builds that are the distributors builds that often have the best components and alternative cooling solutions and PCB with up scaled voltage regulation circuits and better parts. Either way a blanket condemnation is not the whole company portfolio.

nah it didnt over heat itself.. fans ran fine.. the card was just stuffed.. it was never recognised as a PCIe 2 x16 card.. and the replacement was no better.. so i ditched them and got an Inno3D and never had a problem.. and now ive got 2 of them.. i had Gigabyte 5850s and they were awesome.. overclocked 24/7 @ 900mhz for most of the time, others at 925 and they ran perfect. Ive also always had Gigabyte mobos and i love em to death.. reliable, stable platforms.. highly recommend u going the Gigabyte ove the ECS..

Well that was my first impression... And my friend who works for msy said "just coz it's reference doesn't mean it'll be good" he said there's good references and bad ones..

Good ones get paid more for by companies and ecs and the like get the . ones... And after having two of them.. I'm inclined to believe it hahaha

thanks for all your valuable words and advice and suggestions! :) i'll bear these in mind. so you're saying that i get the gigabyte one and not the ecs one? and any idea about the monitor?

Gigabyte is way more well known than ECS , go for the Gigabyte one . The 550 will strugle at gaming on max settings at 1920x1080 but on medium settings with no aa af it should be perfect .