HDMI to S-Video

Psywar

So my Dad just got himself a new Laptop. Nothing special a 500 dollar dell.

One of the main reasons for upgrading was because he wants to use the HDMI output to the TV to watch Hulu/Netflix on the big screen.

Here is my problem: The TV they have in their bedroom works perfect because its Brand New and has HDMI.

The TV in the Living Room is a 60" HD Projection TV but the darn thing came out 1 or 2 years before HDMI was being put on TV's.

It does however have S-Video and RCA! (lol! I make it sound like a good thing)

Anyway's I went out and picked up a HDMI to (3) RCA plug. - This plug did not work at all. It did not even seem like it attempted to work.

Looking back I think the Plug was (3)RCA to HDMI (not sure if that matters) I would assume it would work both ways, but maybe for some reason it will not convert the HDMI to RCA only the RCA Video to HDMI Video.. Who knows..

Whatever it did not work.

So I did some digging in my shed yesterday and I came across this old VGA to (3)RCA connector.

So I was thinking since the Laptop has the VGA port on the back so you can connect an external monitor to it that this may work...

Well.. I got sort of a picture.. It was grey, distorted.. fuzzy... Yeah.. it was unreadable and unwatchable.

(Thinking back on this when I was testing the connectors (there was a Blue, Green, Red RCA plug) the Blue and Green both brought video up... Maybe I need an RCA splitter? 2 RCA to 1 RCA? Not sure..

Honestly for the life of me I cant even think why the VGA to 3 RCA exists since 2 of the RCA should be audio.. and VGA does not produce Audio...

Whatever...

Anyways.. The main point of this thread:

I was looking online for an HDMI to S-video type adapter.

I am coming across this "Box" looking thing. It has an HDMI Plugin on one side and on the other it has an S-Video and 3 RCA Plugin. (it also has a power thingie which sucks.. the box needing power adds more cable.. boo..)

So has anyone used one of these to connect a Laptop to a TV of any sort that used S-Video? Also did it work? lol!

Reason I am asking is because these boxes range from 40 - 120 bucks. I would hate having my Dad or myself drop that kind of cash on an item that might not work.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long story. I figured I would explain what happen so you guys who troll the forums have something to read lol!

For future reference, there is no way to have HDMI to RCA in a single cable. That would be magic. You need the powered box because it has to convert the signal from digital (HDMI) to analog (RCA).

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Converter-All---One-Cable/dp/B003BVVYSM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308158356&sr=1-2

That seems reasonably well received, and it gets its power from USB. So no having to sit the laptop near outlets. It's not as easy as HDMI to Composite/S-Video though. If you find the 'box' you described with good reviews, I'd say grab it. Then you can put it next to the TV and grab a cheap 10ft HDMI cable, which would be much easier than the 3 cables required for this one.

Edited by Darth_Tom

For future reference, there is no way to have HDMI to RCA in a single cable. That would be magic. You need the powered box because it has to convert the signal from digital (HDMI) to analog (RCA).

Before I write all of this I want to say I am actually asking you a question and not mocking or saying your a liar or something lol. It's hard to tell how people are actually saying something when your reading what they type and not their own voice.

Anyways.. I have this HDMI to (3) RCA cable.. Do you have any idea what it is for if it does not convert HDMI to RCA?

I can get a picture of it if you need to see it.

I like that device you posted but I think I want to stay away from the VGA adapter only because the laptop does not have the 2 screw ports and with the one converter I already have (VGA to 3 RCA) the VGA did not like to stay in and when it did the connection to the port was pretty sloppy.

I think what I am going to end up looking for is a DVD Player or maybe Dish Network has a DVR box that comes with an HDMI(In) port.. Not sure if they still do that though lol! You would think they would since VCR's used to do it.

It's my understanding that cables like the one you have are designed to be sold, and that's it. See all of the reviews for this mess: http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-Cable-1-8ft/dp/B002ZUI68G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308239560&sr=1-4. I think scam is a bit of a strong word, but it feels like it. There has to be a converter box to go analog to digital.

This thing has 4 stars, I didn't read too many reviews but it seems like it would meet your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite-S-Video-Converter-3RCA/dp/B0047PDBP0/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308239560&sr=1-11

Buy the HDMI cable at Amazon too. There are plenty < $5 that you won't notice any difference in picture quality from. Just go by seller ratings.

Edited by Darth_Tom

i think your adapter is component video, component video uses 3 rca style plugs for video and has seperate audio, composite video has 1 plug for video 2 for audio,

220px-Component_video_jack.jpg

the component is on the bottom of this pic, composite is at the top, with the yellow red and white, the audio is shared between the two becuase component doesnt have any audio signal built in