OCC SW:TOR Guild! - BETA SOON!

Dariuas

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jack_of_Java, Glad you are having fun with the Trooper. Have you gone Commando or Tank? I liked Commando with the Rifle since you can use more up close melee skill sets. Your companion can use the Rotary Canon anyway. Just sayin.

Now its Smuggler/Gunslinger for me. Im having fun learning to use the skill set efficiently. The power of Dual Pistols is amazing and my Companion is specced for tanking in full heavy armor. It seems that the Scoundrel class is getting all the Raves for PVP right now, but there are a few skilled guys having great success with the Gunslinger PVP as well. Im not the kind of guy who likes to solo in PVP. The Options for success seem to be limited for me in that respect, but with two or more players grouped in PVP the world opens up. Ill take my chances partnered with a Soundrel and a Trooper or any other class.

So here's my impressions from the first day of gaming as a trooper. I was able to level up the trooper to level 11 or 12, and logged off on Corrusant (sp?). The graphics and animations were very good in my book. The voice acting was superb, and I really only had a few glitches that I noticed. The story-line of the trooper was excellent (not as good as the Jedi storyline from what I've heard). I'm not going to go too much more into detail, as I do not want to ruin it for others that are awaiting the release to play.

Bugs:

One of the glitches was the loot bug, where it would not allow you to loot from mobs occasionally. I presume that this is due to lag, since the servers are being maxed out this weekend. A quick fix for the loot bug was to just use the sit animation and then move again, which allowed me to loot immediately. The other bug that I found annoying was when you attempted to exit the game or log out. Exiting the game never worked for me, and when I tried to log out, it sent me to a loading screen that never went away. I eventually had to alt+tab and then end the program through task manager.

Wait times and lag:

I'm writing this now as my queue time is estimated at 5 hours for the server I created my trooper on yesterday (was 30 minutes). I noticed an occasional lag spike in the game, and noticed others with worse lag than I had. Overall, was hardly noticeable for me. The view distance for seeing other characters/NPC's seemed to be slow when moving through an area. I presume this is due to lag and server overload as well.

Things they could improve:

One thing that I don't like so far is the lack of auto-fire. In WoW, you could click on a target with LMB and not fire, but if you RMB the target, it would auto-fire on the target. It seemed that in this game, you always have to be pushing a button in order to start an action. There is no auto-fire associated with the game.

Re-spawning is mediocre at best. If you die, you are given the opportunity to either re-spawn on the spot, or be sent back to the closest medical station. When you die, the mobs will reset and go back to the same actions and place you first encountered them. As you are revived on the spot, you will be given a temporary invulnerability to attacks and also a stealth so you can back up out of a situation. I frown upon this tactic as it gives a player too much room for error during fights. I saw several fights where players would take on creature much more powerful than they were, and just keep re-spawning over and over again at the same spot. Personally, I feel that there should be more of a penalty (like re-spawning at the med station), so that players will be a little more cautious when taking on mobs stronger than they are.

I alt+tabbed out of the game several times to read up on something and never had a single problem going back in. A lot of other players were complaining or the game crashing to desktop on them if they did this.

Social morons in general chat are still there, just changed the game they are playing.

Conclusion:

I had a blast playing this yesterday, and I look forward to it today (that is if work cooperates and I get the chance to log in). I'm glad that it wasn't as easy as I presumed it to be for leveling. At times, it was quite difficult and I wondered how I was going to live through a part. I probably could have leveled much higher, but due to the server load and some of the quests requiring mob kills/items from open, free-for-all areas, it made questing nearly impossible to complete. I did not get much of a change to dive into crafting/collecting so I have no input there. Also, because of the previously mentioned things, I could not get into any flashpoints. The way it is looking today, I'm thinking that it isn't going to happen either. I would need more game time to say with certainty, but I do believe this game may put a huge dent in the wow population. As for me, I'm definitely converting to this game from WoW.

Playing in my 2nd beta weekend, and still finding the game quite enjoyable. I am currently running a lvl 13 Inquisitor/Assassin and a lvl 11 Smuggler/Gunslinger just started dabbling in the skill system, and so far I like it better than the one in WOW. I will say more as time permits and the test ends.

I am an addict... Played 15 hours strait Saturday Night/Sunday Morning.. Not even including all the time I spent playing Friday night and Saturday morning lol!

This was the third beta I had been in. I just love it so far.

I am looking forward to the Dec. Launch.

So far, my testing has been with the Republic. This weekend I went with the Imperials. I tried an Imperial Agent. I went with the Sniper instead of the Operative. It seems that he is less powerful than the Gunslinger opposite, but will shoot from farther away. This is made up for supposedly by the fact that he is loaded with different bombs and grenades with short loading times. The two sides are distinctlly different in their storyline approach to the game. The darkside appealed to me more and I will probably go that way. I cant tell for sure but it also seems that the Republic side is way more popular and populated.

Yes, it does seem that one is always pushing buttons to fire. I for one DO like this feature. Autofire or AutoAttack seems just too easy and it seems to me would make for a difficult situation alternating from one attack to another... my fingers are all over my Keyboard on the Hot-keys. I like it. Anyway, you have a companion that is very powerful and is on AutoPilot for the most part. What more could you ask for?

WoW never impressed with the "Get In Line" and Do the "Lock-Step" march to the end. There is no adventure in WoW. Its all laid out for you. Also too many Add-ons. I hope this game doesnt go that way. WoW is just a cookie cutter means to an end on a sadly outdated platform.

Forgot to mention that Dialog and Storyline are excellent imo. Voicing, conversations, light or dark side choices are interesting. Immersion is the name of the game and you certainly get that.

Edit: Content

Edited by Kwok

I was able to spend some time on Sunday playing. I chose republic trooper. I found the story quests to be pretty good, meaning not too easy or difficult. Needless to say they take some time for sure. One thing that seemed to take forever was travelling between cities, if you walked. Finding those speeder taxi services is SO worth it. Just had to remember to find those little posts to save that city's position so you can quick travel. Once I completed the main quest I got my companion around lvl10. Wow, that helps so much for sure. Although it opened up a whole lot of more mind bending worms. Like more reading on how to use him, how to keep him equipped as well as other tasks that he can do. As I only had 6 hours to play, I still was able to make it up to lvl 13. I chose the vanguard sub-class or whatever it was called at the big starfleet base. That place was so big and kind of confusing when it comes to picking your skills. I will definitely have to read up on the forums when it comes to that.

All in all, I only had one shutdown in the whole 6 hours. I never had any sort of lag issues. Which for a beta/stress test seemed pretty good. I had a few spots where in the cut scenes some characters had some spots where it looked like half of their chest was missing. Overall, I thought the game worked well, and I will probably pre-order it this week. Just keep in mind, there is so much stuff in the game that it will make your brain tired without a doubt. So many options to choose regarding the crafting/crew skills, definitely worth reading the forums beforehand so your not stuck with something crappy that doesn't help your character. This trial left a bad taste in my mouth----I wanted to play MORE ! ! ! !

Well, another fun beta weekend finished for me.

I'll agree with Kwok's general impressions: I sure like this better than WoW.

Main Points:

Storyline and NPC Cutscenes are VERY immersive. And thankfully, if you end up playing the same quest line through again, you can spacebar through quickly enough.

Combat is more exciting and seems faster paced than the MMO's I have previously played. I don't know if its the actual speed or just because there are lightsabers, lasers and force powers involved. Combat animations are very evocative of the SW universe.

Crafting system is useful at low levels (at least in the 2 I tried) and doesn't make you choose between crafting and questing. Interesting system where you mainly send your companion away to collect materials for you. For your Gathering Skill, you also may collect materials from nodes, corpses, etc.

Seems quite well-polished for beta.

Oh yeah and John Williams-type music playing all the time = awesome!

Edited by Samursus