Just got a HD5850

Hello all,

Just got a Asus 5850 reference,ive got my Q8300 set to 3ghz,will it bottleneck the card.Or even when its stock @2.5ghz will that make a difference as well?

I was thinking of pushing the card to 800/1100 i just want to know if my cpu is holding it back,cheers.

Depends on what you play. I play RTS games so I prefer a Higher CPU to GPU ratio. And vice-versa for FPS games. But your CPU to GPU ratio is quite balanced. I wouldn't worry. :thumbsup:

Well the only reason i ask is because i recently sold my trusty 4870 512,and it played dirt 3 perfectly @1080p,2xaa,and a mixture of high,medium and low settings.It looked great,so i was really looking forward to seeing what a 5850 could do.

But idk i feel a liitle dissapointed,sure ive turned the settings up a notch but it seems to run worse than before.Unless i turn it down a liitle bit.

Im getting the feeling that when you have a dx11 card in your system,dirt 3 sees it and enables dx11 wether you want it to or not.Maybe thats why my frames arent so high.

Also i noticed in CCC the option for tesselation,it goes up to 64x lol what should i set it to? I left it at 'AMD optimized' though i got a feeling i shouldve set it myself.

Anyway cheers lads any input is welcome!

Edited by 00stevo

Only the 6xxx series has Dx11 so that not it. You may have some settings set to high. I have a 6850 that plays dirt 3 at max. But a 5850>6850 so you my need to update drivers or set some settings differently.

Edited by Black6464

Only the 6xxx series has Dx11 so that not it. You may have some settings set to high. I have a 6850 that plays dirt 3 at max. But a 5850>6850 so you my need to update drivers or set some settings differently.

?? 5xxx series were the first DX11 cards on the market... Months ahead of nvidias first DX11 offerings in the GTX 4xx series.

IMO... You went from DX9/DX10 to DX11. It may run "Not as well" But your rocking out some seriously better graphics IMO.

A 5850 is approx 2x times better than a 4870 512mb... So if your not seeing better performance or better graphics... then something is wrong. You do a clean driver install? Like use driver sweeper to completely wipe out all the old 4870 drivers and do a nice fresh install of the 5850's?

Lol @ 5850=dx9.

Anyway im feeling like a fresh install is in order.My systems felt a bit bogged down for a while now anyway.

Bit of a mission doing that though so ill hold off for a bit.

Lol @ 5850=dx9.

Anyway im feeling like a fresh install is in order.My systems felt a bit bogged down for a while now anyway.

Bit of a mission doing that though so ill hold off for a bit.

Well if its been over a year a reformat is probably not a bad idea. But Why dont you try to use Driver Sweeper first? It works pretty well. I just used it to swap the ATI HD 4830 out of my brothers computer to a nVidia GTX260. Runs perfectly now even having switched brands.

Here's all it takes to wipe out the old drivers:

1) Download and Install Driver sweeper at the link provided above.

2) Use the AMD Catalyst Install manager to completely uninstall all AMD drivers.

3) Reboot computer, Press F8 After BIO's posts and before windows starts to get into the boot options, boot into Safe Mode. (This step is important as it will prevent any video drivers for your current card from loading thus allowing them to be completely removed, as drivers in use cant be uninstalled)

4) Run Driver Sweeper, Select all AMD/ATI drivers and Applications and clean them out! Also if you happen to have any nVidia ones installed such a PhsyX which some games will automatically install even if you dont have an nVidia card. You should take the time to clean/uninstall it now too.

5) Download and install latest drivers for your ATI HD 5850

6) Win? Hopefully at this point you are rockin out with awesome graphics and high FPS!

Hopefully this will fix any problems your having and you can put off any annoying reformats for another few months.

• Like 1