Laptop Manual Fan Control

I've been battling with my laptop for months now trying to figure out why I get sudden, massive fps/performance drops. I've gone as far as formatting, with a clean install, only to see the same result.

Just today it hit me... Could it be overheating?

So I fired up CoreTemp and started watching some 720p videos on YouTube, and what I noticed was, the cpu temp kept rising until it hit 83*C, then the fps/performance drop kicked in, until it reached 74*C, and then it was fine again (as usual). So I guess the fan just kicked in hard when it hit 83*C to get the temps down... But this keeps going on.... Temps rise to 83*C, lag, temps drop to 74*C, lag gone... temps rise to 83*C.. and so on...

So is there a way to manually set the fan speed on the laptop?

Note: The laptop is 4 years old and very worn.

Specs:

Acer TravelMate 5512AWLMi

CPU: AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38 (2.2GHz, 512KB L2 cache)

GPU: Up to 256MB ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Hypermemory

RAM: 1GB DDR2

Edited by Brutality

You could try manually adjusting the fan in coretemp, but I dont think laptops allow you to change a lot of things...

You could also try cleaning the insides; it may be clogged with dust.

I think your best option is to get a notebook cooler.

Edited by Forb

You could try manually adjusting the fan in coretemp, but I dont think laptops allow you to change a lot of things...

You could also try cleaning the insides; it may be clogged with dust.

I think your best option is to get a notebook cooler.

I took the laptop apart but there was barely any dust in it.

I guess I'll need to invest in a notebook cooler if I can't find a way to manually control the fan...

Can anyone recommend any laptop coolers?

I took the laptop apart but there was barely any dust in it.

I guess I'll need to invest in a notebook cooler if I can't find a way to manually control the fan...

Can anyone recommend any laptop coolers?

Those only help marinally... just leave sometning under it so the air intakes are free from obstructions...

Bloody hell...

I managed to break the fan when I was blowing to clean out the dust there was...

What the heck do I do now? >_<

EDIT:

HOLY **** I FIXED THE FAN

brb assemble laptop again

UPDATE:

I have a working laptop! pheww!!! Happiest day ever :D

I dunno how I fixed it but there was apparently a very large chunk of dust between some fins on the fan and when I removed it and put the battery back in and powered it up, I heard the best sound ever... a spinning fan

Well back to the main problem... well I guess I'll just get a new laptop if the overheating problem persists..

But thanks for your input....

While I am reading this message I notice something interesting... u see I just fired up CoreTemp (before when the fan was broken the idle temp was 80*C lol.. and now I see the temp at 50*C... Actually before cleaning the laptop I think the idle temps was like 65*C... lol this is an interesting story haha.. soz I am just so hyped cuz I thought I broke my laptop but now it works!

I'll come back when I have found out if I actually just solved the overheating / bad perfomance problem!

Edited by Brutality

replaced the paste? can't you use that rivatuner thing?

Thermal paste? u want me to replace the thermal paste on the cpu?

Rivatuner?

EDIT:

Bah still get the overheating issues, cleaning didn't help much :(

Edited by Brutality

Thermal paste? u want me to replace the thermal paste on the cpu?

Rivatuner?

EDIT:

Bah still get the overheating issues, cleaning didn't help much :(

i'm guessing that the gpu is the problem? it lets u control fan speed :) still cant u use catalyst or whatever?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

i'm guessing that the gpu is the problem? it lets u control fan speed :) still cant u use catalyst or whatever?

no catalyst control center for my gpu, it's too old :(

I would reapply the TIM on the CPU. 4 years is a long time for what I assume is a laptop that gets used a lot. I reapply on mine when I start to see temps getting unstable.

Hell, even my Macbook which I pretty much don't give a . about is still cooler than your machine and the cooling on them is atrocious. Just a small little intake and exhaust area and that's it but my load temps never go above 70C lol