Wii U

ir_cow

I was watching E3 this morning and when the Nintendo Conference started i was laughing so hard with the Wii U announcement. The new "console" is a controller with a 6 inch screen that will "Stream" HD content to your Wii that will display on your tv. don't forget its also a controller so when you 4 AA battery die after 5 minutes you may want to reconsider your newest buy.

i was suggest you strap a 12v to the back for at lest an hour of game play lol. now i know many people are saying it's only the controller and the console is still to come but from how they spoke of the "controller" nintendo made it solid sounding this is it so you don't need another console just connect it to your current console and play games like Metro that is already on current gen consoles.

what do you guys think? is a console still to come or is the controller really it?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo's conference was horrible because they didn't make it clear what Wii U is. As you said, it seemed like all it was was a new controller.

After watching some more of GameSpot's live coverage, it was actually shown that a new console will follow.

The new controller will work with both Wii and the new console. The new console will feature HD graphics...that's basically it for what it brings over the original Wii. It seems everything is banking on the controller, yet that'll work for both. The controller is NOT standalone, however, so you WILL need to buy a Wii or the new one.

I thought it was a pretty lackluster unveil. They had a reel showing devs talking up the Wii U, but they did that last year for the 3DS and look how that flopped. For HD, everything they showed were multi-platform titles, and unless it's just so early in development that the graphics aren't perfected yet, none of them looked as good as their counterparts - for example, there's no reason to play Metro Last Light on Wii over the PC, PS3 or 360 unless they do something absolutely amazing with the controller, but for a game like that, that's doubtful.

Obviously, as with all consoles, games may look better over time as devs learn the hardware/software, but the 360 and PS3 has had such a huge headstart, this could be a big fail for Nintendo, especially if the price for the controller is insane, as it probably will be.

It's a bit more than just a controller. :P You need the Wii U to stream content to the controller, but the range is limited to just what the console can project, so probably 30 feet or so. To me, it seems like the Wii U controller won't work with the Wii itself, but only the Wii U. The Wii controllers will work with the Wii U console, but not the other way around, at leas thats what I got.

It's a bit more than just a controller. :P You need the Wii U to stream content to the controller, but the range is limited to just what the console can project, so probably 30 feet or so. To me, it seems like the Wii U controller won't work with the Wii itself, but only the Wii U. The Wii controllers will work with the Wii U console, but not the other way around, at leas thats what I got.

They said the Wii U controller would be backwards compatible with the Wii and all games.

EDIT: In your article, you state, "The controller can play games on it without having anything display on the TV". Just so it's clear, the controller can only do that if the developer allows it, it's not for all games. Same goes for every feature of the new controller - motion control, touch pad, two different views simultaneously, etc.

I gave up on Nintendo after the disappointment that is the Wii(super Mario galaxies is was not good and the Wii has far to many poorly made games). Then the 3DS is super expensive, but yet has no net browser and (still) poor graphics for a handheld. I saw this and now I am like WTH! :wacko:

I am not a Nintendo hater, I loved them in the N64 and GameCube era. Just have been disappointed in there recent products.

EDIT: I am a fan of console games and Nintendo, but the stuff they have now, just is way to aimed towards the causal gamer. I like having depth in my games, it's the reason I play them.

Edited by Black6464

Yeah, especially with some of the games announced for it. Games you'd typically see on a PC, PS3, or 360 are going to launch on the Wii U.

Thanks for the plug. I was just looking through this thread seeing how I could do one myself :lol:

By the way, I just noticed I forgot to mention that there is also an Assassin's Creed game coming too, according to Engadget, so I added that to the news item just now.

Yeah, especially with some of the games announced for it. Games you'd typically see on a PC, PS3, or 360 are going to launch on the Wii U.

As I stated above:

"For HD, everything they showed were multi-platform titles, and unless it's just so early in development that the graphics aren't perfected yet, none of them looked as good as their counterparts - for example, there's no reason to play Metro Last Light on Wii over the PC, PS3 or 360 unless they do something absolutely amazing with the controller, but for a game like that, that's doubtful.

Obviously, as with all consoles, games may look better over time as devs learn the hardware/software, but the 360 and PS3 has had such a huge headstart, this could be a big fail for Nintendo, especially if the price for the controller is insane, as it probably will be."

Thanks for the plug. I was just looking through this thread seeing how I could do one myself :lol:

By the way, I just noticed I forgot to mention that there is also an Assassin's Creed game coming too, according to Engadget, so I added that to the news item just now.

AC was in the video reel. Not shown as a game, but the logo came up.

You can repeat yourself as much as you want Clay, but it doesn't change the fact that there are going to be people who will buy the Wii U and will buy some of the core games for it.