I need A new Router ... but

Ok so my Router is having issues. Keep losing the net in my house (have too reset router). The main issuse I am having with picking A new one is. I need 8 ports. like 6 years ago we redid all the drywall in the house and I took apon myslef too Wire Every room with wall plugs. So I need 8x ports for all the crap in my house, however I cant find many 8ports .. I dont care if it is 8port + wireless .. just need A min of plug-ins .. and works well.

What kind of router do you have? It would help, you might not need a new router. :D

Mine is a WRK54G, and it had constant resets... I thought I bought a WRT54G. lol

One thing I noticed was that whenever it stopped working and restarted itself, it was extremely hot. So all I did was grab a small heat sink put some heat sink compound and put it on the cpu in the router. Problem solved.

buy a 4 port and a switch with as many ports as you wish!

what he said ....gigabit router and switch is the way to go ! :withstupid:

What kind of router do you have? It would help, you might not need a new router. :D

Mine is a WRK54G, and it had constant resets... I thought I bought a WRT54G. lol

One thing I noticed was that whenever it stopped working and restarted itself, it was extremely hot. So all I did was grab a small heat sink put some heat sink compound and put it on the cpu in the router. Problem solved.

Mine (except for my current) have always broken down due to heat! (one even melted the plastic of the case)

I guess it can be fixed if you have a spare heatsink from a northbridge or something, but buy a switch to get the load of the router.

If you don't do any wireless you don't necessarily even need a router. You could just get a switch, it'd be easier to find one with the amount of ports you want and it would be cheaper, only difference may be security but it's not like the firewalls on routers do much good anyway.

Also, if I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me, I've never tried a modem to switch configuration before but I'm pretty sure it would work.

I went ahead and got 4port linksys wireless router and 5 port switch ... grabed A MOTOROLA SB6120 modem at the same time .. Pay $7.00 A month as it is too rent one from comcast .. might as well own A better one.

Thx btw ... I was scared to use A swtich .. but it works.

Edited by neko77025

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so my Router is having issues. Keep losing the net in my house (have too reset router). The main issuse I am having with picking A new one is. I need 8 ports. like 6 years ago we redid all the drywall in the house and I took apon myslef too Wire Every room with wall plugs. So I need 8x ports for all the crap in my house, however I cant find many 8ports .. I dont care if it is 8port + wireless .. just need A min of plug-ins .. and works well.

I am having the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With wireless/wired connections, doesn't matter. It will disconnect 2-3 times per day... I'm having that problem since 2 months ago...

My wireless router is Encore. I just let the ISP's modem and for now it looks it is working much better than with my wireless router.

I have to try another, maybe TP-LINK / LINKSYS?

Those are the choices I have