Degradation?

Thanks =)

How long does 20 passes take? and how many passes needed when "stepping up" (i.e. like 30 min p95)

I assume the 20 pass is the "final stability test", like the 12h p95 test

When I seem to have reached the point of diminishing return I like to run a 24hr cycle of P95 to secure my stability

As I stated before, P95 does not stress these SB chips in a way that reveals instabilities. I've had SB chips pass 12HR blend testing and literally fail LinX in under a minute. LinX with AVX support is much more stressful on the CPU and will show instabilities in these SB system pretty quickly.

My LinX / Stability testing usually goes like this:

- Run a 5 pass LinX test with at least 2800MB selected (4GB RAM)

- If the 5 pass completes without any BSOD or Stops...then I shoot for a 20 pass full stability test.

My SB system at 5.0GHz completes a 5 pass run in about 3:15, and 20 passes in around 15 minutes. I have maybe 30 minutes tied up into my stability testing and I'd all but guarantee it will stand up to any 12HR+ P95 testing you think of. LinX get your system hot very quick, so watch the temps while running it.

*Make sure your are Windows 7 SP1 for the LinX I posted earlier. Pre-SP1 W7 installs don't support AVX and you won't get a full stress test without it.

Man that test is pretty rough. I gave my stock cpu/cooler a run on it and in 2 minutes I was getting temps over 80* C.

Not gonna touch it again until my H60 gets here...

As I stated before, P95 does not stress these SB chips in a way that reveals instabilities. I've had SB chips pass 12HR blend testing and literally fail LinX in under a minute. LinX with AVX support is much more stressful on the CPU and will show instabilities in these SB system pretty quickly.

My LinX / Stability testing usually goes like this:

- Run a 5 pass LinX test with at least 2800MB selected (4GB RAM)

- If the 5 pass completes without any BSOD or Stops...then I shoot for a 20 pass full stability test.

My SB system at 5.0GHz completes a 5 pass run in about 3:15, and 20 passes in around 15 minutes. I have maybe 30 minutes tied up into my stability testing and I'd all but guarantee it will stand up to any 12HR+ P95 testing you think of. LinX get your system hot very quick, so watch the temps while running it.

*Make sure your are Windows 7 SP1 for the LinX I posted earlier. Pre-SP1 W7 installs don't support AVX and you won't get a full stress test without it.

OMG LinX is awesome!

Wow it's gonna be fast to OC now :P instead of waiting 12 hours it will take less than an hour lol!

This is the best day of my life lol - Most relieving topic for me, ever!

Man that test is pretty rough. I gave my stock cpu/cooler a run on it and in 2 minutes I was getting temps over 80* C.

Not gonna touch it again until my H60 gets here...

Yes...LinX warms your chip up very quickly and will keep it there for the duration of the test. 95% of your everyday applications and games will never cause a system to run as hot as it does under LinX, but that's what makes it such a great stability tool. Watch your temps and your vcore if you have LLC enabled, temps and volts seem to jump quite high if you aren't paying attention.

I haven't seen this so I figured I would throw my hat in the ring but most power supplies begin loosing efficiency as they get hot, depending on which way your power supply fans blow you may be running into a brick wall as your power supply reaches full operating temp.

I would love to see a SS of a 20 pass LinX test that was completed in 15min! I knew that SB was fast, but wow! Also, have you checked out the 1155/2011 OC thread?

I would love to see a SS of a 20 pass LinX test that was completed in 15min! I knew that SB was fast, but wow! Also, have you checked out the 1155/2011 OC thread?

I'll have to get a screenshot next time. 15 minutes may have been a little quick, it was late last night when I posted...but I have screenshots now of completing 22 passes at around 20 minutes at 5GHz. 17-18 minutes may be more reasonable and sorry for the mis-typing on my part.

Thanks for the link to the competition. I rarely enter comps anymore, just like to sit back and watch the results come in :)

Well it takes just over an hour with my 930 @ 4.5GHz for 20 passes. I know the SB are faster than my cpu, but completing 20 passes in a 1/4 of the time, makes me a little skeptical sorry :) I can't even see the 2600K @ 5GHz running through a 20 pass LinX run in the time you are claiming......but maybe I'm wrong :no:

Hmmm....looks like Windows 7 SP 1 and the latest LinX enables AVX, and jumps the GFlops through the roof! Maybe this is how it's done ;)

Yes...LinX warms your chip up very quickly and will keep it there for the duration of the test. 95% of your everyday applications and games will never cause a system to run as hot as it does under LinX, but that's what makes it such a great stability tool. Watch your temps and your vcore if you have LLC enabled, temps and volts seem to jump quite high if you aren't paying attention.

Yeah, it's already at 65*C at 1.27vCore at 4.3GHz, but as long as I stay undr 72.6*C it's fine right?

5 passes take a little under 6 mins at this, at 113 GFlops I think

Edited by Brutality