USB drive shrunk from 4GB to 1GB *Solved*

exFAT is essentially FAT64. It's the newest iteration of the FAT file system. You could use FAT32 as well since the drive is 4 GB and the only *real* limitation for FAT32 is...well nothing for a small drive. FAT32 limitations only really affect large files (> 4 GB) and large disks (> 32 GB).

I'd still go with exFAT if you don't need to use it on Macs. Newer versions of Linux can read exFAT.

Edited by Waco

• 1 year later...

I had a similar issue with my 8gb usb drive. It turned to a 1gb drive. As said, with Windows Disk Management, we cant do any thing, delete the partition / extend etc. This can be fixed by using the Freeware from HP - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. I guess this does it by updating the MBR with correct values.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had a similar issue with my 8gb usb drive. It turned to a 1gb drive. As said, with Windows Disk Management, we cant do any thing, delete the partition / extend etc. This can be fixed by using the Freeware from HP - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. I guess this does it by updating the MBR with correct values.

I just signed up to say thank you, this tool did the trick for me.  Had to run the program in Administrator mode but all went well.  My drives said it had a capacity of 4MB when in reality it had 2GB.  Thanks again the HP USB Deisk Storage Format Tool fix my issue!  Thank you for the info!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Open command prompt and type these commands:

Diskpart (opens diskpart)

List Disk

select disk X (X is the disk number of your pendrive)

Detail Disk (to ensure you didn't select the wrong disk)

Clean

Create partition primary

Select partition 1

Active

Format fs=ntfs quick

assign

that's it you're done! :)

Edited by teja2495

• 2 months later...