rocketeer55

Windows not reporting correct free space

Hey guys.

So on my fairly new SSD (the one i originally had decided to die and lose all my data), Windows say that I have 29.0GB free of 111GB. But when i go into the drive, highlight all the folders, right click>properties it says I have only used 35.3GB. :snap:

Hidden files and folders are shown, system restore is off (I know, bad idea), Hibernation is off, and I think i moved my pagefile onto my storage drive... I hope someone can help, and I can give you more specifications if needed. I searched around, and saw some things about shadowstorage (or something), and someone had a corrupted partition. I just hope this SSD isn't bad like the last one, or my parents won't trust me any more :cry:

Thanks in advance. :D

Are system folders shown?

I used a program in the past that would map out on a pie chart all drive usage...I can't remember what it was called though. Anyone know of something like that?

Nope! I changed that, but it only increased it by 4GB... That program might help, I will look for something similar. Preferably something free :thumbsup:

I had a program called Spacemonger that put hard disk usage into a graphical format. It was free if I remember correctly...pretty cool little app back in the day!

• Like 1

That program just solved my problem, +1

So it turns out it was my Dad's temp folder... has butt-loads of classical music in there... But how did it get in there? and would he still use it? could I just cut and paste into my storage drive? is there a way to make it so it doesn't get downloaded there? It was 33.2GB worth of classical music.... crazy! Otherwise, I think everything else looks pretty good. Any more suggestions?

post-73383-0-12152700-1306887159_thumb.jpg

Technically if it's in temp you could just delete it. I have my temporary path set to a second drive because of this though - everything I extract ends up there instead of on my SSD.

Oh so its due to extracting? That's what I thought, my dad does that a lot. Deleting now......

That's not to say they're useless though - all sorts of programs dump things into your temporary files but usually MP3s and the like are just the results of listening to them directly out of a zip file or something.

Oh and what are some programs to set a path to another drive like you said, my iTunes backup of my iPod is annoying... And I would rather have it on my storage drive.

I have my entire music and pictures libraries moved to another drive - I think iTunes defaults to storing your music in your music library wherever you have it.

That's not to say they're useless though - all sorts of programs dump things into your temporary files but usually MP3s and the like are just the results of listening to them directly out of a zip file or something.

Yea I only deleted the MP3 files.

I have my entire music and pictures libraries moved to another drive - I think iTunes defaults to storing your music in your music library wherever you have it.

I got that down, but it stores a backup file for my iPod touch in the temporary files in app data, and it takes up like 10GB or so... I should probably just Google it.