New Build for Video Editing

Liclac

1) what programs are you going to use? 2) depending on what your editing files and size you are going to use more than 8gb just opening the files. just working in 1080p i hit my 24gb limit in aftereffects often. but if its just connecting clips in some cheap program than speed is going to help you out more like a raid-o for a scratch disk or temp editing.

as for a need of a workstation card, you don't really need it unless your absolutely need 100% color accuracy and no crashes. consumer cards are fine unless you are trying to make money (which equals time and quality). Aftereffects can use the hack to allow any CUDA card to help out. ATi is still left in the dust on all fronts because it still cashes alot of crashes for me.

edit: i noticed the op has a Quaddro 300NVS listed. this is worse than on board. it's really meant to just display video. I would suggest a Quadro 600 $150. low power, low heat and good driver support. now once again if your using a cheap program than mostly any card will do (just not the NVS series).

wow..thanks for the explanation.. It is not me who are going to use this computer, it is my friend.. He will be using aftereffects and premiere.. I think he will edit just some college tasks..

And yes, I have experienced it with aftereffect, but it can limit the usage of RAM... I think he just need 8GB for now, it is more than enough for college... :D ATI cards? lol, it crashes many times in my aftereffects, it really pissed me off... .

really? what does NVS mean in quadro series? thanks for your suggestion, I will talk to him about this...

regards

I never had any problems with AfterAffects and my ATI cards :blink:, anyway yeah I forgot that AA loves its memory so focus on that. get a cheap quadro or 460 1GB.

Nice idea on the motherboard, the 500W PSU should be fine as well. Which one are you looking at??

What I meant by the SSD, is that only SSDs are fast enough to breach SATA2's limits. Mechanical harddrives don't really NEED it at at all. So don't pick a HDD over another because it has SATA3

my friend (ati 5770 desktop) get crashes in AE too...lol..

Yeah, I will suggest him between GTX460, GTX550, and Quaddro 600

I am looking at corsair TX/HX 500watt series..or a xigmatek.. :)

Oowwhh... okay, I understand now.. :D thanks!

NVS is just the pro version of a card to display video, almost zero 3d support, not a good idea for After Effects and CUDA usage. as for starters you could do 8gb just make sure it's 2x4gb so you can upgrade if need be.

you might considers the Quadro 600 or a Geforce 450. should be enough for most things.

edit: just about any card you pick you'll have to do the Hack for CUDA support. Adobe doesn't even support most of quadros included mine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adobe-cs5-cuda-64-bit,2770-3.html

I also was messing with the settings yesterday and by default AE only uses 1 core for prerendering, WTF! just make sure you go to all the settings and crank things up. AE also only uses 4gb by default which is stupid on Adobe part not to have to set to max.

Edited by hornybluecow

NVS is just the pro version of a card to display video, almost zero 3d support, not a good idea for After Effects and CUDA usage. as for starters you could do 8gb just make sure it's 2x4gb so you can upgrade if need be.

you might considers the Quadro 600 or a Geforce 450. should be enough for most things.

edit: just about any card you pick you'll have to do the Hack for CUDA support. Adobe doesn't even support most of quadros included mine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adobe-cs5-cuda-64-bit,2770-3.html

I also was messing with the settings yesterday and by default AE only uses 1 core for prerendering, WTF! just make sure you go to all the settings and crank things up. AE also only uses 4gb by default which is stupid on Adobe part not to have to set to max.

I see... I suggest him for the Quadro 600 1GB 128bit DDR3.... And He agreed with it...

Of course, I made it 2x4GB.. :)

Thanks for the link! :) It is really helpful..

And, I think it just has been decided, he is going to build it tomorrow.. The Final Complete specification is:

i7 2600 3.4GHz

MSI PH67 - C43 LGA 1155

Patriot PSD3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Memory.

Leadtek Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB DDR3 128bit (The only brand available at the local store for the quadro is Leadtek)

Corsair CX Builder 500Watt PSU

WD Caviar Green SATA II 1.5TB HDD (I offered the caviar black series, but he prefers storage room to speed)

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced

Logitech MK520 Wireless Desktop (Mouse and Keyboard)

Simbadda CST6300 2.1 Speaker (Yes, you will not know about this brand, this is a local brand, and a low-mid end speaker, good enough for listening music)

TP Link TLWN951N Wireless PCI Card

For all of you guys, thanks for your support here.. :) I appreciate it..

Regards

Liclac

Edited by Liclac

Leadtek Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB DDR3 128bit (The only brand available at the local store for the quadro is Leadtek)

thats odd, i thought leadtek went out of business a few years ago and PNY is the only company to carry Quadros i thought. i never heard of anyone else since today.

BUT! i'm wrong http://www.leadtek.com/eng/workstation_graphics/overview.asp?lineid=2&pronameid=578&check=f google why have you failed me!

I see... I suggest him for the Quadro 600 1GB 128bit DDR3.... And He agreed with it...

Of course, I made it 2x4GB.. :)

Thanks for the link! :) It is really helpful..

And, I think it just has been decided, he is going to build it tomorrow.. The Final Complete specification is:

i7 2600 3.4GHz

MSI PH67 - C43 LGA 1155

Patriot PSD3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Memory.

Corsair CX Builder 500Watt PSU

WD Caviar Green SATA II 1.5TB HDD (I offered the caviar black series, but he prefers storage room to speed)

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced

Logitech MK520 Wireless Desktop (Mouse and Keyboard)

Simbadda CST6300 2.1 Speaker (Yes, you will not know about this brand, this is a local brand, and a low-mid end speaker, good enough for listening music)

TP Link TLWN951N Wireless PCI Card

For all of you guys, thanks for your support here.. :) I appreciate it..

Regards

Liclac

Looks perfect to me!

Also my friend wants to comment on your speakers

0312sinbad.jpg"Great choice!"

thats odd, i thought leadtek went out of business a few years ago and PNY is the only company to carry Quadros i thought. i never heard of anyone else since today.

BUT! i'm wrong http://www.leadtek.com/eng/workstation_graphics/overview.asp?lineid=2&pronameid=578&check=f google why have you failed me!

Leadtek is a good company, from what I read on the review.... so is PNY... LOL... :D where did you get the info?

so only 2 companies who are carrying Quadros right now?

Looks perfect to me!

Also my friend wants to comment on your speakers

0312sinbad.jpg"Great choice!"

LOL...it made me laugh out loud... hahahahaha... LOL... :P Oh you will not want to comment on Simbadda for other hardware such as casing and power supply... The PSU can blow up your entire PC.... :P

Leadtek is a good company, from what I read on the review.... so is PNY... LOL... :D where did you get the info?

so only 2 companies who are carrying Quadros right now?

LOL...it made me laugh out loud... hahahahaha... LOL... :P Oh you will not want to comment on Simbadda for other hardware such as casing and power supply... The PSU can blow up your entire PC.... :P

Is Simbadda short for "SIMply BAD" ?

Is Simbadda short for "SIMply BAD" ?

There is indeed a joke like that... hahaha...LOL...it is a very low-end hardware brand for PC hardware... I don't trust it at all.. :P