Sign in to follow this  
Ceemonster

Help with my Build

I'm new to the world of building computers and I'm looking to get some help with parts selection. I'm looking to build a computer mainly for 3d Building Information Modelling, which involves rendering high quality images for presentation purposes. The programs I mainly use are AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit. The parts I am considering buying are the following:

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 - Pro - V3

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600

Hard Drives - Kingston 64Gb 2.5" SSD

Seagate SV35 1TB SATA 2

RAM - Kingston HyperX TIXMP 6Gb Kit (2Gx3) DDR3 2000

VGA Card - 2Gb 6970 PCI-E VGA Card

Any advise or suggestions would be helpful

If you're using a lot of AutoCAD and any AutoDesk software, I'd highly recommend switching out to an NVIDIA card so you can utilize the CUDA features of it. If you have the cash for it, a Quadro card would be the best bet for those two programs. However, if you're planning on doing some gaming then it wouldn't work the best, but, since you're planning mostly 3D modeling, then I'd go for an NVIDIA Quadro card. If you're on a tight budget, the Quadro 600 is a stout performer. Another option for a bit higher budget would be the Quadro 2000D. Those two would be good performers depending on budget and power supply. A non-Quadro card, like the GTX 460, would do alright for most things but may not always hold its own with lots of rendering in AutoCAD and Revit. Still, it is an option if money is tight and some gaming from time to time would be a factor on the computer.

I'm new to the world of building computers and I'm looking to get some help with parts selection. I'm looking to build a computer mainly for 3d Building Information Modelling, which involves rendering high quality images for presentation purposes. The programs I mainly use are AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit. The parts I am considering buying are the following:

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 - Pro - V3

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600

Hard Drives - Kingston 64Gb 2.5" SSD

Seagate SV35 1TB SATA 2

RAM - Kingston HyperX TIXMP 6Gb Kit (2Gx3) DDR3 2000

VGA Card - 2Gb 6970 PCI-E VGA Card

Any advise or suggestions would be helpful

Firstly make sure you get the i7 2600k not the 2600 as it is not designed for overclocking. Secondly that is a triple channel memory kit and your motherboard is dual channel, get 1600hmz 2x2gb or 2x4gb dual channel kit as anything over 1600mhz is really a waste of money with sandy bridge. Also I'm not sure about the requirements of 3d modelling but it might need more than 4gb of ram anyway. You also might want to think about getting a bigger ssd if you can afford it as 64gb is quite small. Hard drive and motherboard look good to me. What cpu cooler, psu and case are you planning on getting?

I am used to doing 3D modelling... It don't use so much RAM, mostly use GPU for display and CPU.. Your CPU will be under middle or heavy load, depends on how much polygon you have made, I opened many programs with me while modelling and the RAM Usage was still below 3.5GB.., and I agree, use NVIDIA instead Ati, my Ati didn't help me too much in modelling.. :(

Edited by Liclac