1. 1. Intel or AMD?

• Intel
    • AMD

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intel's integrated is improving, and for a laptop all you should really look for is whether it can handle any type of video file. Gaming on a laptop is a money pit and a battery whore ;)

With Sandbridge, AMD doesn't really have too much price/performance anymore. They did pre-SB but now most of their top-end stuff has been beaten. Even some of the lowend HT'd dual core i3s can beat the Athlon II quads in most things.

Not all that glitters is gold, nor is all that needs 3D acceleration a game ;) I used to use a program called World Wind and others, I've never had an Intel IGP to deal with, had major issues with them to the point that they simply could not use the program. The reason was that they had very poor 3D capabilities. As I stated earlier though, this was several years ago (4-5 years).

Granted, SB may be better at price/performance (I'm haven't been following CPUs much lately, as I'm good with my current one), but those represent a new generation. I'm unsure of the Thuban based Phenoms but the non-Thuban are based on a core what, two years old now? As I said, I haven't been following CPUs now, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Phenom II vs Sandy Bridge is also comparing different generations, with SB the newer, so the results should be skewed.

Eh, doesn't really matter to me anyway. It'll probably be a year or more before I'd build another rig and by then we'll have Ivy Bridge or what's after that, and a second gen Bulldozer, at least.

Not all that glitters is gold, nor is all that needs 3D acceleration a game ;) I used to use a program called World Wind and others, I've never had an Intel IGP to deal with, had major issues with them to the point that they simply could not use the program. The reason was that they had very poor 3D capabilities. As I stated earlier though, this was several years ago (4-5 years).

Granted, SB may be better at price/performance (I'm haven't been following CPUs much lately, as I'm good with my current one), but those represent a new generation. I'm unsure of the Thuban based Phenoms but the non-Thuban are based on a core what, two years old now? As I said, I haven't been following CPUs now, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Phenom II vs Sandy Bridge is also comparing different generations, with SB the newer, so the results should be skewed.

Eh, doesn't really matter to me anyway. It'll probably be a year or more before I'd build another rig and by then we'll have Ivy Bridge or what's after that, and a second gen Bulldozer, at least.

I see, yeah I mean because the high end phenoms encroach into Sandybridge pricing while getting delivering less performance, so the generation differences are null :P .

The Athlon IIs, specifically the quads, still are a force to be reckoned with while easily attainable at $60 with not too much effort.

I see, yeah I mean because the high end phenoms encroach into Sandybridge pricing while getting delivering less performance, so the generation differences are null :P .

The Athlon IIs, specifically the quads, still are a force to be reckoned with while easily attainable at $60 with not too much effort.

You know that goes both ways right? E8500 and 1100T, both $200, performance not so much the same. :P

You know that goes both ways right? E8500 and 1100T, both $200, performance not so much the same. :P

Oh don't rev me up on how much 775 is overpriced!! :angry: lol

Though I have to thank the screwed up market pricing for making my move to i7 essentially free :D