LiteOn or Pioneer

i have a Hp burner, so far i've burned about 50 DL discs and it was fine. much more than i can say about other brands. from the looks of it it's not a Lite-on/Sony. those are about half the size of a normal drive.

Benq was good last i checked and Asus is crap. i would still go for a LG because it's the cheapest and one of the best.

I've had 3 different Lite-On's and never had a single problem. The first one I had was a dvd combo drive that I sold in my old rig, way back. Then I have my current, which has been with me for 3 years and no trouble.

I also have a lite-on external that works flawlessly.

Maybe you guys just have bad luck?

The reality is that the performance/quality of any brand name optical drive will depend on location and quality of mfg. The majority of brand name drives are mfg. in China, and depending on what plant the OEM uses it can be hit and miss. That's why it's so important to read up to date user reviews when they are available.

I don't agree with anyone that says all LiteOn or Asus, or LG are junk drives (or that they are spectacular either). The truth is, depending on the model number, the mfg. cost, and the assembly plant (don't forget the sub-suppliers either) you can get a really outstanding drive or a turd. That's just the way it is. I've had great Pioneer, LG, LiteOn and Asus optical drives. And I've had bad ones too.................... You'd think (in theory) that Plextor drives are always the best because they are usually quite a bit more expensive than other brands, but I don't know that I buy into that either.

LiteOn drives in particular can be pretty speedy - but to a fault most of them are noisey when the media spins, and their tray door and loading mechanisms aren't the greatest (in reliability and racket they make) when opening and closing the drive tray door.

The last couple years I've used almost exclusively Pioneer, Asus and LG drives without issue.

Id go with Pioneer.

Had about 3-4 different Lite-On & TSST Corp drives fail on me.

Still have all my Pioneer drives (about 5 of em in different PCs around the family) and all still work.