ir_cow

Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong

I agree with the part about manufacturers possibly passing out cherrypicked units, I would much prefer a bought unit or possibly user donated. I have donated a couple phone batteries to a tester so he could make light on alot of lies that manufacturers make about their charge capacity (and then he shipped it back to me when finished). I know buying costs alot more money and isn't always necessary but it has always had me wondering. I think the donate and return system is worth checking out, heck I'd do my own reviews if I had all the fancy load testing/measuring equipment.

Paul you gotta go throw a shoe at the writer for not putting OCC in their list: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/522/7

maybe because- no one cares

people buy cheap PSUs maybe because... idk, maybe because they are CHEAP

people dont buy cheap PSUs because they want cheap quality, they buy them because they have NO MONEY or spent their money on too high a processor (intel fanboy crap, :heh:)

I don't think you know anyone who owns a 1000watt PSU that does not have a high end build, though it is true many people overbuild as well

that website is plain white and kind of ugly like a 1970's newspaper, he has no right to criticize others as amateurs if he cant even design a basic webpage and is using something that looks like it was free from wordpress.com

though he is right that many people don't know what they are doing when testing PSUs, there are still plenty of good sites that review them fine

and in the world of PSUs, you get what you pay for is the bottom line

The problem is people buy overrated crap when they could be buying a lower wattage quality power supply for the same price. I do know lots of people who have crap 600 or 700W power supplies when for the same price they could have had a quality 400 or 500W that would adequately power their build.

So it doesn't matter that Hardware Secrets has really good informative articles? I would rather read a quality article on a poorly designed website than read crap on a nice new fancy website. Not only that but I like Hardware Secrets layout. Its not the fanciest, but its very functional and honestly not bad looking, just simple. You say that hardware secrets has no right to criticize others, but you criticize them and you apparently can't even use capitals properly or use full sentences.

The problem is people buy overrated crap when they could be buying a lower wattage quality power supply for the same price. I do know lots of people who have crap 600 or 700W power supplies when for the same price they could have had a quality 400 or 500W that would adequately power their build.

So it doesn't matter that Hardware Secrets has really good informative articles? I would rather read a quality article on a poorly designed website than read crap on a nice new fancy website. Not only that but I like Hardware Secrets layout. Its not the fanciest, but its very functional and honestly not bad looking, just simple. You say that hardware secrets has no right to criticize others, but you criticize them and you apparently can't even use capitals properly or use full sentences.

:thumbsup:

I agree with the borrow and return method and the fact that reviews aren't great. I've boughten many products that had great reviews but 1-3 RMAs later I'd just get a refund. So I do think that companies send reviewers cherry picked items. I also think that no matter what PSU you're buying, you're gambling more on it than your GPU or your mobo. We all know what could happen if your PSU fails.... or explodes. :whoa:

Edited by Lord_Guy

I honestly believe I don't get cherry picked power supplies for review. I very rarely get one that's been opened and they are usually still sealed in their cellophane wrap. They could of been looked at, tested and then rewrapped but I think it's unlikely.

I honestly believe I don't get cherry picked power supplies for review. I very rarely get one that's been opened and they are usually still sealed in their cellophane wrap. They could of been looked at, tested and then rewrapped but I think it's unlikely.

Yeah I'm not talking all the companies, not to mention it'd be just as expensive for you to buy a unit than to ship mine back across the pond :P

I read that article when it came out. I have also read the other BS he has written since then. He pretty much bashes different sites and they vary depending on what he is writing about at the time. I have never met the guy, but from what I hear he doesn't seem to have to many people speaking fondly of him. Personally I can't stand guys that do the crap he does. His PSU article aside, he has said some other stuff that rubbed me the wrong way.

There is a few guys like this in our industry and they cast a black cloud over all sites when articles like the PSU one get posted. Its the same thing when sites vs sites crap starts up it looks really bad and its very embarrassing for the industry some of these people need to grow up.

Anyways enough talking about a tools:

Hardocp is another site that I trust and they have some of the best stuff you can buy. Johnny's is good and of course I enjoy what Paul brings to the table in our reviews. :) The thing about doing reviews is nobody will ever be happy, with any review on any site. Its a fact period, no point in trying to fight it. You do the best you can with what you have to work with and go from there. You will always have fans and you will always have hates again its a fact. :)

Techreport is really good. They had "The Beast" custom made by a forum member to really test power supplies.

My "beast"!

psuload05qe9.th.jpg

This is back in the day when it was new, it's looking a little battered now!

I only ever read a couple of reviews for PSU's and I do believe they were from either here or Johnny Guru's site. I really do not need to read reviews because I mainly buy one brand and that is it. Corsair is my brand when it comes it PSU's I have a 550VX in my computer and it has served my well for the past 4 years. I helped my friend build a computer a last summer and that one is using a corsair 650HX I want to say he has never said anything about it acting up.

Judge a book by its cover again potato...... brilliant.

I have never gotten into PSUs to much. I will buy one if it has good ratings(like from newegg), its from a good brand and has a wattage rating a need.

you may very well end up with a rosewill or a logisys in your computer and when it starts to smoke you can rate it one star lol.

on a side note i was reading JonnyGuru.com, good website. i'm also tried of companys like crosair and OCZ who don't make psus and just makes it look pretty. very few good quality brands, most try to slap a label on it and call it a day. i mean within the same series of Corsair one is made by Seasonic and the other by the people who make Rosewill, you don't always get what you pay for. I was going the route of buying anything from one brand but OCZ, and Mushkin both let me down on the PSU brands (i learned the costly way). read before buy even if you know the brand is good.

lastly sometimes the people who you hate the most have the best points. this guy clearly could care less about you or making company's happy. he is constantly sending complaints on not being true Gold certified so i can't see any PR firm giving him PSU's to review. many websites will give a good rating because they have advertising on the website *cough OCZ*. i trust this guys reviews more but you have to take everything with a grain of salt, everyone is bias.

Edited by hornybluecow