Best headphones in the $200-300 range.

sYstEmATiC

Hello OCC. Im looking to buy some good headphones. My main use will be listening to music, mainly Dubstep/Drum and bass, some hip hop and rock as well. I'd like to avoid having to get an amp, but if necessary, I will consider it. I have a USB Creative x-fi HD pro sound card (1/4in outputs) and for a sound card, has a pretty powerful output by itself. I've been looking at the AKG-702's, but to be honest, theres too many similar priced headphones to choose from. If anyone can offer some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

systematic

Edited by sYstEmATiC

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senneiser makes the best headphones by far. i use to buy a some every few months from blowing them out. these haven't died yet and it's been year. from what i read people say the bass is low, but i call BS. sounds great.

Senneiser makes the best headphones by far. i use to buy a some every few months from blowing them out. these haven't died yet and it's been year. from what i read people say the bass is low, but i call BS. sounds great.

Bass is very important to me. Not the distorted bass that most mainstream hip hop listeners think is cool, but clear, smooth deep bass. I've also got my eyes on the HD598, and HD600, but they seems to be for a different type of music than I listen to on a normal basis (like you mentioned, the reviews all say that they aren't the best for music heavy in the bass). I've been looking at the Grado sr225i, and sr325i, but comfort becomes and issue then. I've worn grado headphones before, and can get a little uncomfortable after a while.

Bass is very important to me. Not the distorted bass that most mainstream hip hop listeners think is cool, but clear, smooth deep bass. I've also got my eyes on the HD598, and HD600, but they seems to be for a different type of music than I listen to on a normal basis (like you mentioned, the reviews all say that they aren't the best for music heavy in the bass). I've been looking at the Grado sr225i, and sr325i, but comfort becomes and issue then. I've worn grado headphones before, and can get a little uncomfortable after a while.

I have the AKG K702's and love them, but in your case I would avoid them. They're not very bassy. In fact they're really quite neutral and definitely require an amp. I also think the AKG 702's are very uncomfortable. I get headaches from them nearly every day. While I don't have too many recommendations, I'd say to look into the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650, the Grado's you already mentioned (but those are more for rock), and maybe Denon D5000.

I like Grado, but I haven't heard many other headsets of the same caliber, so I am not too educated on the subject. I would personally get a headphone amp though, especially if you want better bass response.

I have the AKG K702's and love them, but in your case I would avoid them. They're not very bassy. In fact they're really quite neutral and definitely require an amp. I also think the AKG 702's are very uncomfortable. I get headaches from them nearly every day. While I don't have too many recommendations, I'd say to look into the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650, the Grado's you already mentioned (but those are more for rock), and maybe Denon D5000.

I've pretty much ruled out the grado's and sennheisers. The D5000's are a little out of my price range, as I'm looking to buy an amp as well and cant spend more than $600 total. I'm seriously considering the D2000's though. Also looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770's.

Grado SR80s, ear cup mod, done.

There you just saved $200. :P

I'm a total audiophile beginner but the SR80s are quite a few times better than the SR60s that I have, crisper and a lot more bass.

My SR60s play anything from metal to heavily distorted glitchstep and punch like hell the whole time (that is through onboard and then into a stereo, no standalone headphone amp. these would sound even better self amplified), I would love to upgrade to the next level myself.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed with a pair of $100 SR80is.

I think you'd be happy with the Beyerdynamic DT 770s and an amp. The DT 770s are going to be my next headphone purchase, and depending on which ohm version you get, you can go without an amp even. The 32 ohm version doesn't require an amp, the 80 is borderline, but the 600 definitely needs it. Any would give you a great sounding headphone that fits what you want and honestly, I don't think you'd need another headphone if you got the DT 770.

Get some Monster Beats.

I tried these on at Best Buy and was like "woah."

Not even close. They're about the same quality as products in the $80-120 range.

I agree with BP about the Beyerdynamics.

Also good would be Grado SR325i's. They're pretty bassy.