Para

Building a New PC after Unsolved problems

There's really no big differences between them and are you asking us whether you should or shouldn't overclock??

I say you definitely should but if you don't I will take your build a different way

Well I like to have... options :D

I see that Canada Computers is having a sale on CPUs this weekend though. 194.99 for a Core i5 2500. If I went with that instead, would I be able to overclock that CPU?

Edited by Para

Para - the reason I recommend the 2500K series cpu is because the cpu multiplier is unlocked. On the new Sandy Bridge processors only the two designated with a (K) behind the model number have unlocked multipliers and can therefore be overclocked. Forget about overclocking on Socket 1155 platform via the BCLK. That doesn't work anymore. Therefore you HAVE to have the unlocked cpu multiplier if you want to overclock. So the only two processors in the Sandy Bridge line up with unlocked multipliers are;

Differences between the two processors;

Price

Stock Clock Frequency

2600K has Hyperthreading / 2500K does not have Hyperthreading

You might want to check Memory Express. They do price matching, and have pretty decent prices to begin with. A friend of mine built his computer via a local Memory Express, and price matched them for Artic Silver for a whole 99 cents. He thought they were going to kill him :P

Overall, he saved a little under $80 from price matching.

Well I like to have... options :D

I see that Canada Computers is having a sale on CPUs this weekend though. 194.99 for a Core i5 2500. If I went with that instead, would I be able to overclock that CPU?

Nope still no good, but fine for a machine that wont be ever able to overclock.

Im in Canada and you can check out Tiger Direct.ca or newegg.ca or memory express they all have pretty decent prices and very good selection of hardware.

Im in Canada and you can check out Tiger Direct.ca or newegg.ca or memory express they all have pretty decent prices and very good selection of hardware.

If you want to go amd check this out

http://www.tigerdire...18&sku=B69-0372

Very good price. You can oc because it's a black edition and sell the case and psu and get some money back.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Ok lets say I dont plan to overclock... whats your suggestion then?

I'd get an H67 board then for their cheaper price and also the ability to use the CPU's graphics processor.

I wouldn't get a Caviar Black they're overpriced I guarantee there is a Seagate or Samsung 7200rpm drive that can run just as fast for ya for cheaper.

Do youonly wanna order from Canada Computers?? I can throw together a build for you there or elsewhere if you want

Personal experience says that canada computers is cheaper than tigerdirect and sometimes on par with newegg hence why I am considering Canada Computers. Is there a speed difference with the chipsets you are recommending?

I would also get an H67 board if your not going to OC save some doe. I have a few in my forsale thread if your interested.