Why do you OC?

Free performance benefits? I just undervolted my i5 2500k to 1.136V's to overclock to 3.8GHz for a micro-ATX build (heat is the biggest factor in a small form factor case), and bumped up my GTX 460 1GB to 860MHz from 725MHz for core clock (and 2100MHz from 1800MHz for memory) using stock voltage. All it takes is knowledge to overclock, I figure it's worth it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free performance benefits? I just undervolted my i5 2500k to 1.136V's to overclock to 3.8GHz for a micro-ATX build (heat is the biggest factor in a small form factor case), and bumped up my GTX 460 1GB to 860MHz from 725MHz for core clock (and 2100MHz from 1800MHz for memory) using stock voltage. All it takes is knowledge to overclock, I figure it's worth it.

Just remember that the speed of the GPU/CPU/etc makes a pretty big difference in heat production as well (transistors generate the most heat when switching).

Just remember that the speed of the GPU/CPU/etc makes a pretty big difference in heat production as well (transistors generate the most heat when switching).

Yeah, I know. I'm always about low temps (and low noise). :)

• 2 years later...

Because some people said FX-6300 is capable to get into 5GHz clocks, and to replace stock cooler with brand new shiny one. So why not? Tech savvies are doing it, why can't we? :rolleyes:

Surprised that Andrewr05 didn't bump this one  :rolleyes:

Surprise!

I actually don't overclock that much, usually only as much as I can go without going over an extra ~25Mv.

No sense in increasing the heatload too much.

because i'm impatient by nature, faster is always better,....faster boot up, faster app's, faster games, faster internet, faster pics, faster movies, faster everything, and i want it NOW....i want MOAR BIGGER BETTER FASTER... so therefore i overclock...

because i'm impatient by nature, faster is always better,....faster boot up, faster app's, faster games, faster internet, faster pics, faster movies, faster everything, and i want it NOW....i want MOAR BIGGER BETTER FASTER... so therefore i overclock...

Faster sexi teim?