Sign in to follow this  
c0ld

Seti Vs. Folding

Haha, another good point. The SETI screensaver has a nice graphical display, while all Folding has is that picture of a protien (I think).

Doh, good point. But since I'm rarely away from the computer and I've an intense rancor for sluggishness, so I just have the screensave go when I step away for more than 1 minute :P I've only got *checks* 14DUs done with a total time of 199 hours 9 minutes 45.8 seconds.

W00t what? Nothing was accomplished here minus the revelation FXXP has about folding... As far as the discussion goes, do you at all wonder why no one seems to agree with you fully? This is because most people have faith in humanity and human kind and the personal quest to keep on a good path... which you seem to deny people having the capacity to utilize.

I just don't see how someone doesn't believe in progress of human kind but still has a passion for technology that comes from competition and the need for forward progress... That 9800xt on your wishlist wouldn't exist if the thousands of people would have died from simple diseases... To utilize anything modern (result of progress) and still have your point of view seems mighty hipocritical to me...

I would disagree that humans are selfish. It's not humans that are selfish, but rather society that is selfish. I know many people that are far from selfish, people that would rather inconvenience themselves and help someone.

Take a look at the [email protected] stats for OCC, you'll see that I was hot and heavy into it at one time. I liked the project, but once things started going downhill for it, we found a new project, [email protected] Both are good programs, and I?m glad we have members interested in each (or even both).

We didn't close the door on [email protected], that's why people are still allowed to join as they wish. It's just that a majority of our members are more interested in the [email protected] project.

Don't you think that if there was an intelligent species out there flying around in space, that they'd probably find us before we find them (if they haven't already :ph34r:). After all, they would have to be far more advanced than we were to be flying around space. ;)

Personally, I think that the GUI versions of both [email protected] and [email protected] are ugly, and actually find the console version more attractive. I mean, common... bar graph or DNA strand? whoopee. Give me text! :P And as mentioned before the GUI versions are slower.

Whether you participate in [email protected], [email protected], or TKC, you are helping OCC. And we're thankful of that, but we'd really really really really really really really really like to see more people involved in [email protected] so we can move into the top 20... and maybe even one day top 10. :P

Umm...

I run Seti. I guess I'm in the minority. I just joined, actually.

The [email protected] project sounds worthy, and I hope great things come of it. But I think perhaps Seti offers a greater, if less immediate, hope for humanity.

Throughout history, men both great and not-so-great have been brought low by nothing more than the simple sin of pride. We as a civilization have outgrown many passions and prejudices over the centuries, but that hubris remains with us, stronger now than ever before. Our pride - our arrogance - will be our downfall. We will squabble like angry rats over a patch of soil, or a quiet belief, or a colourful piece of cloth on a pole, heedless of the consequences and never able to see beyond the instinctive pride that drives us to dominate all around us.

But what better salve for that pride than to be forced to realize that there is more than just what we see all around us? The knowledge that we are not alone - the proof - will perhaps put the importance of our tribulations into perspective, and with perspective, there is a chance that we will also discover humility. Will our primitive tribal aspirations suddenly seem so vital when compared to a vast, living universe suddenly thrown open to us?

The Folding project will benefit humans, I have no doubt; but the Seti project could benefit humanity.