jdhatt

C-State on or off? is this really the problem?

hi guys,

so i just finished my rig and at first i posted thinking that i installed my cpu into my motherboard wrong or that i bent a pin or something cause even though its blazing fast the system sometimes freezes for a bit (sometimes seconds sometimes minutes, mouse still moves and app still runs just says not responding or something) and then comes back, or just lags a bit in general. when its not doing this the system is a dream its the best thing ive ever owned lol so i really want to make sure early on that it isnt a hardware issue. i searched up and was wondering if this was a C-State issue (i havent overclocked my i5-2500k but i did autotune it once and the disturbances were more frequent) or is it the ram or does anyone else have any other ideas? i also thought it could have been my ssd cause it kept saying its at 128 degrees celsius when it was cool to the touch but found out that its a sensor software issue. im new to all this so im completely stumped and panicking lol

Maybe see if there's new firmware for your SSD, run a memory test and try disabling power saving options on your processor

Maybe see if there's new firmware for your SSD, run a memory test and try disabling power saving options on your processor

doesnt seem like a mobo problem does it? or a cpu into mobo installation problem? that was my big concern. im about to do a memtest then a bios update. im using a 2500k and an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe incase that helps anyone diagnose

i hear that asus boards require you to keep speedstep on? is this true?

I ran my asus P6X58D-E without speedstep on for the longest time and it was rock-solid. I've never experienced any issues such as those you are having. Even though it may sound like a bent pin or a motherboard issue, I would not rule out a possible RAM issue or SSD firmware problem like IVY mentioned. Run a memtest and try new/different SSD firmware. Also, what power supply are you using? I assume that you have enough power under the hood but one never knows!

I ran my asus P6X58D-E without speedstep on for the longest time and it was rock-solid. I've never experienced any issues such as those you are having. Even though it may sound like a bent pin or a motherboard issue, I would not rule out a possible RAM issue or SSD firmware problem like IVY mentioned. Run a memtest and try new/different SSD firmware. Also, what power supply are you using? I assume that you have enough power under the hood but one never knows!

im using an HX850 so i definately have enough power. ive ran memtest and so far its at 10 passes on both sticks tested together with no errors....ill try new ssd firmware. how would i know if its the motherboard or processor?

Disable C3/C6 states and see if the issues go away.

i disabled speedstep, turbo boot, CE1 or whatever its called, C6, and C3....but then when i booted up again i rapidly opened the start menu and went to type soemthing and the start menu just froze on me....memtest came out fine....soooo i have no idea :s