What Games Are You Playing?

Fogel

No one checked out at least one video?

Even if you have nothing nice to say as long as it is constructive (vs rude) I don't mind negative feedback. I know people put music to their gameplay videos so would it be better if i did that to make it more interesting? I was trying to avoid YouTube taking my vids down due to music copyright infringement. For example, I would love to put one video to "Hey Man Nice Shot" but Rhino Entertainment takes down pretty much every Filter song put on YouTube.

I spent the majority of the time on the battle stats page. I did that so people can decide if they want to watch it or not as I'm sure many of the videos I will upload will simply be so my friends and i can enjoy our games together. Is the battle stats page a good idea? Is it missing some info that might be cool to put on there? It look ok? Here's a sample of it by itself:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/Niteblooded/MW2_SCF_TDM-001.png

Should I have something at the end of the video like in the 2nd video or just end with gameplay like in the first video? I plan on doing other games as well, like SC2, probably BF3 when it comes out ...so before i go all nuts, it would be nice if i knew what people liked and didn't like. It's mostly for my friends and I but at the same time it is still public for the world to see.

Well the videos aren't bad but they don't really stick out either. The thing to remember when you make a video is who you're making it for, sounds like you're making these for yourself and your friends, in which case they probably won't appeal to most anyone else. The gameplay is pretty average, it's just a normal game really, nothing there that would attract random people, I hope this doesn't come off sounding mean or anything, it's just that most videos that attract a lot of viewers would be about glitches/exploits or those over the top players, the ones that go 70-5 or something like that.

The battle stats page probably isn't necessary but it doesn't hurt to have it in there either. Your introduction looks nice, and it's got a nice length to it, maybe shave a little of that time off though, I noticed it takes about 20 seconds to get through the introduction and battle stats, maybe shorten that to 15 or 10 seconds. I think it's more appealing to viewers if you don't have stuff like that up for too long because if you have a lot of videos and someone wants to go through them all, the introduction stuff can get old fast.

Overall they're fine videos, just have to keep in mind who you're primarily making them for is all. Another thing is that if you want to attract more people to your videos you probably need to add a bunch of tags, that's how most people get a lot of views. I used to make videos myself and put them on youtube, got some really nice responses on them but I never bothered to do much tagging so I mostly only got 500 views per video in about 5 months time, I didn't really care how many views I got though, but that's just an example of how it pans out without tags.

• Like 1

Well the videos aren't bad but they don't really stick out either. The thing to remember when you make a video is who you're making it for, sounds like you're making these for yourself and your friends, in which case they probably won't appeal to most anyone else. The gameplay is pretty average, it's just a normal game really, nothing there that would attract random people, I hope this doesn't come off sounding mean or anything, it's just that most videos that attract a lot of viewers would be about glitches/exploits or those over the top players, the ones that go 70-5 or something like that.

The battle stats page probably isn't necessary but it doesn't hurt to have it in there either. Your introduction looks nice, and it's got a nice length to it, maybe shave a little of that time off though, I noticed it takes about 20 seconds to get through the introduction and battle stats, maybe shorten that to 15 or 10 seconds. I think it's more appealing to viewers if you don't have stuff like that up for too long because if you have a lot of videos and someone wants to go through them all, the introduction stuff can get old fast.

Overall they're fine videos, just have to keep in mind who you're primarily making them for is all. Another thing is that if you want to attract more people to your videos you probably need to add a bunch of tags, that's how most people get a lot of views. I used to make videos myself and put them on youtube, got some really nice responses on them but I never bothered to do much tagging so I mostly only got 500 views per video in about 5 months time, I didn't really care how many views I got though, but that's just an example of how it pans out without tags.

Awesome - Thanks for the great feedback! I can easily shave some time on the intro. Currently I have it set for 10s on both the intro and stats, originally I only had 5s but both seemed super quick, especially if you were trying to read the stats but i suppose if anyone is truly trying to read them they can pause the video. I will try 7s on both, and if it still seems too long I will shrink to maybe 7 on the intro and 5 on the stats or 5/5.

And ya I know what you mean in your intro paragraph, ones I clicked on were like 50-1 or something like that just to see what they did to get that score. Though at the same time I also felt underwhelmed by those vids as they were always cheeze like tubing or camping, so I'm not really sure how I can improve upon that with average gameplay. I always liked Krazy's videos because his is real gameplay and you get a real idea of his skill level watching those. Also why I didn't do a montage. All that said, you still bring up a valid point. What do you think about these options:

- Music overlay

- Narration

- Not a montage but speeding up/cutting slow spots ...such as the running around with no action parts

Even though it is mostly for my friends and I, if I can make the vids interesting for others to watch than my friends will get more enjoyment from them as well. Not too concerned with page views, but I will look into adding more tags since you said you got some great feedback on your vids doing that.

Thanks again

nice vids Fogel....

I have not kept up with this thread much. Glad to see you're having fun. I really like the vida as its actual game play...and for that matter I am gonna have to pick up this game as killing people in a trailer park seems most enjoyable...LOL

I for one enjoyed them dude

Awesome - Thanks for the great feedback! I can easily shave some time on the intro. Currently I have it set for 10s on both the intro and stats, originally I only had 5s but both seemed super quick, especially if you were trying to read the stats but i suppose if anyone is truly trying to read them they can pause the video. I will try 7s on both, and if it still seems too long I will shrink to maybe 7 on the intro and 5 on the stats or 5/5.

And ya I know what you mean in your intro paragraph, ones I clicked on were like 50-1 or something like that just to see what they did to get that score. Though at the same time I also felt underwhelmed by those vids as they were always cheeze like tubing or camping, so I'm not really sure how I can improve upon that with average gameplay. I always liked Krazy's videos because his is real gameplay and you get a real idea of his skill level watching those. Also why I didn't do a montage. All that said, you still bring up a valid point. What do you think about these options:

- Music overlay

- Narration

- Not a montage but speeding up/cutting slow spots ...such as the running around with no action parts

Even though it is mostly for my friends and I, if I can make the vids interesting for others to watch than my friends will get more enjoyment from them as well. Not too concerned with page views, but I will look into adding more tags since you said you got some great feedback on your vids doing that.

Thanks again

I think music overlay can help a video in some ways but most of the time when I see videos of normal gameplay I think it's mostly harmful. I find music mostly helps if it compliments the pace of the video.

A video where I think the music really helps is this BC2 flying video. I think the music follows the pace of what's being seen rather well, normally I would probably dislike that song on it's own but I think it works well with that video so it becomes likeable to me.

An example where I don't think the music works too well would be

video. I think overall it's best to avoid music that is too noisy to exciting, I think it plays as more of a distraction from the video. I should note this is coming from someone that doesn't really like heavy metal and hard rock though, so you might want a second opinion on this style of music for videos.

Narration I think works about the same as noisy music, I find narration works best in single player/campaign games, it's entertaining to the viewer to see what you think of when the game does certain things. This also depends on what comes to you when you're playing a MP game though, to the best of my knowledge most people just blurt out curse words and grumbles when they get killed or something and that consists of most of the dialogue. I think narration can work in MP if you're live streaming your games though, a lot of live streamers have conversations with their audience which can be fun.

I think some slowing down might be helpful, maybe when there are some of those moments where you go to yourself, "wow... I can't believe I just pulled that off!" Probably don't need any speeding up for these particular videos, MW2 is full of somewhat smaller maps so it's fairly challenging to come up with enough moments where there isn't something happening I think. However in a game like BF3, which will probably have massive maps sometimes, I think speeding up some running or driving sequences could help.

nice vids Fogel....

I have not kept up with this thread much. Glad to see you're having fun. I really like the vida as its actual game play...and for that matter I am gonna have to pick up this game as killing people in a trailer park seems most enjoyable...LOL

I for one enjoyed them dude

Hey Bowtie :)

How you been? Thanks for the compliments! The good news is a lot of people still play, at least on the 360, I can't speak for the PC which I would guess is lower since most PC players felt left in the cold due to no dedicated servers. It slowed down to virtually nothing when Black OPS released ... as in you were playing with the same random strangers every night consistently. Now its back into full swing.

The bad news is the Trailer Park map isn't part of the core maps and it costs $15 for that map back. I'm laughing because my boss had the same comment you did. He said they did a really good job making it look realistic. :lol:

I think music overlay can help a video in some ways but most of the time when I see videos of normal gameplay I think it's mostly harmful. I find music mostly helps if it compliments the pace of the video.

A video where I think the music really helps is this BC2 flying video. I think the music follows the pace of what's being seen rather well, normally I would probably dislike that song on it's own but I think it works well with that video so it becomes likeable to me.

An example where I don't think the music works too well would be

video. I think overall it's best to avoid music that is too noisy to exciting, I think it plays as more of a distraction from the video. I should note this is coming from someone that doesn't really like heavy metal and hard rock though, so you might want a second opinion on this style of music for videos.

Narration I think works about the same as noisy music, I find narration works best in single player/campaign games, it's entertaining to the viewer to see what you think of when the game does certain things. This also depends on what comes to you when you're playing a MP game though, to the best of my knowledge most people just blurt out curse words and grumbles when they get killed or something and that consists of most of the dialogue. I think narration can work in MP if you're live streaming your games though, a lot of live streamers have conversations with their audience which can be fun.

I think some slowing down might be helpful, maybe when there are some of those moments where you go to yourself, "wow... I can't believe I just pulled that off!" Probably don't need any speeding up for these particular videos, MW2 is full of somewhat smaller maps so it's fairly challenging to come up with enough moments where there isn't something happening I think. However in a game like BF3, which will probably have massive maps sometimes, I think speeding up some running or driving sequences could help.

Hmm, ya I would have to agree with you on those two vids and the music choices. Outside of just 'feeling it' not sure there is really anyway around knowing which song to pick. If I were to do narration it would be what my thought process was during that game, give my impressions on how I play a particular map such as what works and what i think doesn't work, maybe even a little bit about myself, stuff like that.

My friend (JackBandit you see in the vids) said he thought it would be cool to slow down some of the nice shots ...like you suggested so I may do that. I recorded some vids were I don't think they would be fun to watch on their own but may make ok montage material. Still not sure I want to do that but I am thinking about it more than I had.

Still debating on speeding up/cutting the slow spots, mostly because I think people who play MW2 are probably adrenalin junkies so the attention span is a lot less. Friend chose Hardcore Search & Destroy by mistake and the pace was so different. We won but we were also bored to tears - too slow. People who play on that mode have a completely different playstyle - they didn't know how to react to us charging them. So it made me think why so many MW2 vids are montages.

Use the stats tracking tools provided by YouTube. See where parts of your videos people lost interest or were interested in the most. Either they skipped over or the went and rewind. Try reproduce those moments in future videos. If you really got something good, try submitting it to channels like Machinima or others.

Which reminds me I'm going to have to make a comparison video for RO 1 and RO 2 when Summer classes end.

Edited by Krazyxazn
  • Like 1

Hey Bowtie :)

How you been? Thanks for the compliments! The good news is a lot of people still play, at least on the 360, I can't speak for the PC which I would guess is lower since most PC players felt left in the cold due to no dedicated servers. It slowed down to virtually nothing when Black OPS released ... as in you were playing with the same random strangers every night consistently. Now its back into full swing.

The bad news is the Trailer Park map isn't part of the core maps and it costs $15 for that map back. I'm laughing because my boss had the same comment you did. He said they did a really good job making it look realistic. :lol:

Hmm, ya I would have to agree with you on those two vids and the music choices. Outside of just 'feeling it' not sure there is really anyway around knowing which song to pick. If I were to do narration it would be what my thought process was during that game, give my impressions on how I play a particular map such as what works and what i think doesn't work, maybe even a little bit about myself, stuff like that.

My friend (JackBandit you see in the vids) said he thought it would be cool to slow down some of the nice shots ...like you suggested so I may do that. I recorded some vids were I don't think they would be fun to watch on their own but may make ok montage material. Still not sure I want to do that but I am thinking about it more than I had.

Still debating on speeding up/cutting the slow spots, mostly because I think people who play MW2 are probably adrenalin junkies so the attention span is a lot less. Friend chose Hardcore Search & Destroy by mistake and the pace was so different. We won but we were also bored to tears - too slow. People who play on that mode have a completely different playstyle - they didn't know how to react to us charging them. So it made me think why so many MW2 vids are montages.

Personally I think montages are kind of silly, one thing I've noticed about some montages is that it's a way for some bad players to feel good about themselves, they could literally have a KDR of .05 but then have a montage of them getting 10 no scopes or something, to me it seems a bit strange, like they're trying to make up for something with that video.

Clearly this doesn't apply to you though, from what we saw in those two videos, you're a pretty good player. Also it depends on who you making it for though, like I said before, it seems like some people make them just to feel better about themselves, which I think is fine.

Use the stats tracking tools provided by YouTube. See where parts of your videos people lost interest or were interested in the most. Either they skipped over or the went and rewind. Try reproduce those moments in future videos. If you really got something good, try submitting it to channels like Machinima or others.

Which reminds me I'm going to have to make a comparison video for RO 1 and RO 2 when Summer classes end.

This sounds like an awesome idea, that probably helps a lot, I didn't even youtube had those kind of features.

Great idea! Though I think I need more than 9 views to get a better sample :lol:

Unless I can whip out some more 30-0 and just happen to get them on tape I'm not sure any of my videos will be good enough for submission, but I guess I should keep that mind.

Personally I think montages are kind of silly, one thing I've noticed about some montages is that it's a way for some bad players to feel good about themselves, they could literally have a KDR of .05 but then have a montage of them getting 10 no scopes or something, to me it seems a bit strange, like they're trying to make up for something with that video.

Clearly this doesn't apply to you though, from what we saw in those two videos, you're a pretty good player. Also it depends on who you making it for though, like I said before, it seems like some people make them just to feel better about themselves, which I think is fine.

This sounds like an awesome idea, that probably helps a lot, I didn't even youtube had those kind of features.

heh Thanks - it took a lot of effort to learn how to adapt to FPS on console play. What you said is a big reason why i don't like montages. They're more exciting because they cut out the boring stuff but at the same time you wonder really just how good the person is. Let's face it, we all get shots where we go... ok, now that was pure dumb luck! :teehee:

The other thing about montages is that you pretty much have to go into it with a song in mind as not only is that the standard people are acustomed to but the clips are too short to narrate. I do think I will try one though the more I think about it. But I recorded some good/decent games last time my friend and I played so those will get first crack at rendering time.

Edited by Fogel

ok playing around with a few ideas, here is the latest. I was up a little too late last night so that might not be a good thing. :lol: This video I sped up the slow parts. I thought this was a good game to test it out it on because even tho my score was 22-2 it has boring footage of me running around at snail pace and even a lil bit of camping at the beginning.

But when I sped it up it made all the noises (game sound + voices) sound like I lit some chipmunks on fire so I had to mute those sections. So it was kind of odd going from a normal pace to fast pace with no sound... soo I applied the Old Film filter to those sections so there is a clear break. Let me know if you think it works or not.

Also what would you think if I added narration to something like this? Feels like it is missing something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ku37iO4xZU

I got 2 subs now - not sure if they're people from here or what but that was a nice surprise.