Hard drive dying?

nickk47

So my cousin is telling me that he had similar symptoms before his hard drive died. After re-formatting my computer, it seems to have gotten much slower.

Specifically

-The startup

-The Welcome screen, and transitioning into loading startup programs (virtually none)

-Shutdown

- I have had 2 blue screens.

-Opening and closing programs, windows, music, pictures, everything to do with the "Windows Vista" aspect, OMG just RIGHT NOW, it lagged while I was typing THIS. WOW. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE.

So is my Raid 0 paired WD drives dying?

And just for reference, yes I have installed all my drivers, chipset updates, and all windows updates.

quickie system specs:

core 2 duo @ 3.2ghz

8gb ddr2-1066 ram

radeon 5770 hd

xfi xtremegamer

2x wd 250gb @ raid 0

Hi i just had to help when i seen this post ..recently i had a client who was getting lagging,freezing, bsfd on his pc then it could run ok for a hour perfect ect ,,,,,

So First of all i ran the on board diagnostics...and his hhd failed the sdt (self drive test ) everything else was perfect ...i would advise you to do the same and this should tell you if its your hhd or anything otherwise ..... it would most likley find where your problem is ...

i Tried some recovery techniques on recovering his hhd to recover it and i had a little luck but the hhd was really dead .

sometimes your hhd just heeds a really good format to remove any bad sectors or clusters this could explain why your getting lagging at certain times also blue screen of death ect ...

Some times the hhd can be recovered but i never heard of a sucesfull recovery and the hhd back running perfectly ....

this should not affect any other drives in raid if its a hhd failing .... but they will face some impact when shutting down without notice and starting again quickly ect but i wouldn't worry about this

Any Way first tings first run the on board diagnostics

Edited by sully990

Thanks for the helpful post. I will try that, and if all else fails, hard drives are dirt cheap nowadays!

Oh and just another thing I noted...it also made me lag in games too, like when I played Starcraft 2 and if there are too many units on the screen, it will start lagging hardcore even though it did not do that before.

Same thing with witcher 2. The textures on the armors, background would all be loading slowly...

Edited by nickk47

Well, I ran the onboard disk error checking and nothing came up.

Also ran HDsentinel trial and tested drive performance, it was around 12ms average read time. Isn't that really bad for a 2 disk in raid 0?

Intel Matrix Storage Console, my raid controller program says status of drives are healthy.

It's really weird because the day I posted this topic, it was even lagging while doing things like word processor or opening up the internet BUT now, its actually really smooth. Weird huh? I didnt even install any new drivers or anything. I am about to test witcher 2 again, see if the textures load slowly or not. Ill brb to edit this post.

EDIT: Witcher 2 still is buggy for me as the textures won't load in time, and I have to stare at it for around 4 seconds for it to load. It sucks!!

Maybe it isn't the harddrives as the programs detect no problems....Maybe it's my Proc or videocard, or the motherboard. :/

( My power supply recently sparked, smoked and died. It might have taken out other compoenents with it.)

Edited by nickk47

psu is antec high current gamer 750w

just got it cuz my other one crapped out on me.

Honestly all windows functions and boot speeds are back to normal, so I don't think it is the hard drive anymore. It bothers me that I can't play Starcraft 2 on Ultra settings anymore though. It stutters every 3-5 seconds. It didnt do that before.....

My videocard is not overclocked, and it is in 11.4 catalyst. I'll go download 11.5 right now but I dont think it'll help

Im thinking of re-formatting again which might fix this?

The only thing different I did on this re-format is that I actually decided to update my chipset to the latest one.