Liclac

Ati Mobility 5870 reach 97C!!

I got my processor and GPU repasted with Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste... The processor quite normal, max 70C in heavy load and 45 in idle mode.

The GPU is quite high..I am worried about it..

Recorded with GPU-Z and HWinfo32

Condition 1: Air Conditioner is on, temp 20C, Notebook cooling pad is on http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1135&ID=1980

GPU idle: 59-60C

GPU load (playing crysis 2 in extreme graphic setting and full HD resolution 1080p): 89-92C (GPU fan speed full 4600rpm)

Condition 2: Air conditioner is on, temp 20C, Without notebook cooling pad..

GPU idle: 67-68C

GPU load (the same as above) :97C (the highest I've ever record so far) (GPU fan speed full 4600rpm)

It is said that the Ati 5870M max temp is 120C, but I still worried about it, I almost can boil a water with it (97C)...I want to know from the other laptop user who do gaming in his laptop, Is your GPU temp is as high as mine in heavy load? is 97C on GPU is normal?

And Is there any other way to reduce the temperature? I have repasted it, before I repasted it, the GPU can reach above 120C, that also because of a gpu fan malfunction... and yes, my GPU was overheated and dead.. Glad I get a full replacement for the GPU.. I don't want that happen again... is it a good idea to use Arctic Cooling MX3 thermalpaste?

Please share your suggestion and opinion.. Thanks you..

Regards

My cpu and GPU (look in sig) typically reaches 85C with IC diamond thermal paste, on the same game with hardcore settings. The ambient temp is also within 1c of 20. My cpu rarely goes over 63C full load. Currently sitting at 37C idle.

Laptop cpu's and GPU's normally get a bit toastier than their desktop counterparts. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about those temps. They seem within reason.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

My cpu and GPU (look in sig) typically reaches 85C with IC diamond thermal paste, on the same game with hardcore settings. The ambient temp is also within 1c of 20. My cpu rarely goes over 63C full load. Currently sitting at 37C idle.

Laptop cpu's and GPU's normally get a bit toastier than their desktop counterparts. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about those temps. They seem within reason.

85C on GPU load is very cool... IC diamond thermal paste? I heard about it so much, is it a very good thermal paste? there are many types, 7 carat and 24 carat.. which one is the best on your opinion? Hmm, which one is beter compared to Noctua NTH1 and Arctic cooling MX3? and wow 63C processor on full load....that's very cool... :D I know laptop's hardware are a bit toastier, my friend's toshiba with regular small cooling (asus G73 have 2 big fan on it's back), reach 80C in full load processor 720QM....

85C on GPU load is very cool... IC diamond thermal paste? I heard about it so much, is it a very good thermal paste? there are many types, 7 carat and 24 carat.. which one is the best on your opinion? Hmm, which one is beter compared to Noctua NTH1 and Arctic cooling MX3? and wow 63C processor on full load....that's very cool... :D I know laptop's hardware are a bit toastier, my friend's toshiba with regular small cooling (asus G73 have 2 big fan on it's back), reach 80C in full load processor 720QM....

I read a review a while back that tested about 20 different TIM's and only 2 beat the ic diamond. Shin etsu was one (by a degree or less in most cases), and I cant remember the other.

Mine has the 24 carat on it, it was a limited time free upgrade from the stock silicone stuff they put on. It came already pre-applied. I'm not sure which carat is better tbh.

I think the sandy bridge chips run a bit cooler than the older i7's which will explain some of the cpu differences. Do you have dedicated coolers for cpu and gpu, or is it one cooler? Mine have dedicated coolers with dedicated fans as well.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

I read a review a while back that tested about 20 different TIM's and only 2 beat the ic diamond. Shin etsu was one (by a degree or less in most cases), and I cant remember the other.

Mine has the 24 carat on it, it was a limited time free upgrade from the stock silicone stuff they put on. It came already pre-applied. I'm not sure which carat is better tbh.

I think the sandy bridge chips run a bit cooler than the older i7's which will explain some of the cpu differences. Do you have dedicated coolers for cpu and gpu, or is it one cooler? Mine have dedicated coolers with dedicated fans as well.

hmm... I see, I will definitely have a try on IC Diamond... :D

Yeah, I heard about that, the clarksfield i7 is run hot, I am a bit proud of having it 45C on idle, and max 70 in load, while the other laptop with only one cooler and small fan get 85 on full load and 65 on idle...

Mine have dedicated cooling system, the right hand one is for GPU, and the left hand one is for CPU..both of the fan max reach 4600rpm... http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ASUS-G73jh03.jpg

The only external cooling pad that I knows working with this laptop is this one, the thermaltake massive 23LX, I have ever try 2 other cooling pad from coolermaster, nothing give significant temperature reduction.... Do you use any external laptop cooling pad?

I run The IC Diamond on my CPU as well and it seems like very good stuff. To The best of my knowledge IC Diamond 7 carat and 24 carat are the same its just the size of the tubes... The 7 carat has 7 carats of micronized diamonds, and the 24 carat has...well... 24 carats of micronized diamonds in it. (if im not mistaken, one carat is 1/5 of a gram)

I run The IC Diamond on my CPU as well and it seems like very good stuff. To The best of my knowledge IC Diamond 7 carat and 24 carat are the same its just the size of the tubes... The 7 carat has 7 carats of micronized diamonds, and the 24 carat has...well... 24 carats of micronized diamonds in it. (if im not mistaken, one carat is 1/5 of a gram)

thanks for the explanation! :D I will definitely, repasted it with ic diamond... Is there anyone has an opinion about arctic cooling mx3?

anybody have the link about or where I can get the IC diamond? I can't find it on newegg...

Edited by Liclac

97 C is well within reason. I wouldn't expect more than a degree or two drop going to a different thermal paste.

97 C is well within reason. I wouldn't expect more than a degree or two drop going to a different thermal paste.

+1

Cleaning the dust would do more for your temps!

Thank you for your reply guys...I do cleaning the dust every 6 months.. I see... so different thermal paste would not affect the temp too much..hmm.. But At last I am going to try the IC diamond or Arctic cooling.. Somehow I am afraid of using my laptop for gaming in a room without air conditioner.. The idle temp is just too high... I am afraid it will reach above 120C..

I wish someday there would be a water cooling system for a laptop.. lol.. :D

I assume this is a new laptop? Given that it has a 5870 in it?

Presumably it then also came with a 1-3 year warranty?

Why do you care about the temps in the laptop, at the end of the day, it is covered by warranty. Unless it says in the terms of your warranty only use this in an air conditioned room, even if the thing fries itself simply have it repaired.

But, now that you have opened it up and changed the paste (for no reason) I am sure your warranty will be void.

I have never understood why people tinker with new laptops (and therefore under warranty).

With desktop hardware its a totally different ball game. If you tinker and something breaks, you just replace whatever part it is you just broke. This can of course cost more than a laptop, but why risk your warranty over because YOU think the temps are too high. Its a closed box bit of kit, it if breaks the manufacture fixes it.