What did you want to be when you grew up?

I've been thinking about this question for awhile now because one possible answer is being removed from us and our children. The reason I'm starting this thread is because I just read this:

NASA Sets Launch Date And Media Credential Deadlines For Final Shuttle Flight

NASA's final space shuttle flight is targeted to launch July 8 at about 11:40 a.m. EDT from the agency's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Four veteran astronauts will fly aboard shuttle Atlantis to deliver supplies and spare parts to the International Space Station.

This date was targeted based on NASA's current planning. An official launch date will be announced following the June 28 Flight Readiness Review.

I was one of those kids that answered Astronaut. Now my tastes have changed some, but still, it's weird to think that I could never have had that possibility. I haven't heard anything about what will replace the Shuttle program since the funding for the Ares program was cut. Even if it was put back, there will still be years in between that NASA will not have any ability to get its people up there using its own resources. Besides, with how our government enjoys cutting NASA's budget, I doubt what we'll get will be either as good or on time.

File this one under "rant." Science is just such a part of my life that to see such an era come to an end, and without a ready replacement even within this decade, is sad to me.

Suddenly I feel like reading "End of Eternity," and I applaud those that get my reference there. For those of you that don't get it, I recommend the book :thumbsup: You can also just accept it as my way of calling my government shortsighted and foolish.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that you three are representative of the OCC community, but I really was thinking there would be at least one other astronaut here. I'm starting to feel like I may be one of the nerdier people here... I like that feeling.

astronaut was a close second, lol var fctb_tool=null; function WreisGAeChtg(t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); }

That's good to know! Seriously, what is up with your posts, and that code? I've been noticing it all day.

A Gemologist, or programmer, or a rocket scientist like my great grand father, but I ended up in buiness and ism, though I still play around with gems, code, and chemistry rocket science ftw.

Edited by spectrascope

That's good to know! Seriously, what is up with your posts, and that code? I've been noticing it all day.

i dunno but i keep trying to edit it out

Edited by camaro_dude15

I just wanted to further our technology along in whatever way I could. I certainly don't want the space age to end (and I don't think it will since I seem to remember Russia trying to stir up their own programs again and imploring other countries to join in).

I am now looking to get into some kind of Solar Engineering, I figure if we can get our recycling near perfect and energy 100% renewable. We'll have no reason against looking towards space as the next step :)